Obsessive Compulsive Hoarder

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2011, 11:50 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obsessive Compulsive Hoarder

Did anybody see this documentary tonight on channel 4

Astounding way to live (exist) and I found myself feeling really sorry for Richard.

Hats off to the gardener chap for stepping in
Old 21 December 2011, 11:58 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Saw something similar a few months back on TV, every room in this blokes house, his garage, his back yard, just any bit of space this bloke had was filled with ****. When the bloke died a removal company was brought in to clear the place, they took two full days with a Ford Transit and trailer with umpteen runs back and for to the local dump to clear it all up, then industrial cleaners were brought in to clean the place.
Old 22 December 2011, 12:33 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I get like that sometimes. Nightmare, everything I have I think ' oh that might be useful in the futue' Or 'this is worth ££££, I'll ebay it one day".

That'll explain to anyone who wonders why I have five vacuum cleaners (was six, but I donated one ) and a garage full of old engines.

I do chuck out stuff though....the old Max power and performance car mags went in the bin last year....had them since I was 14 years old
Old 22 December 2011, 01:14 AM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

No one notice the X reg classic wagon in it? Thought this may have been the reason for the post.
Good programme, seemed to finish a bit abruptly, as I'd like to know how they got on with the clean up.
Old 22 December 2011, 07:38 AM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Poor man
The way he was climbing in and out of the kitchen was making me shudder.

Lovely example though of how one ordinary person, the nice neighbour, can have such a huge impact on someone's life, especially after the 'experts' had given up on Richard.
Looked like he'd even had a haircut at the end.
Old 22 December 2011, 07:40 AM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Got this recorded and looking forward to watching it. I hate hoarder mentality and every now and again I have a purge to get rid of useless stuff.
Old 22 December 2011, 08:05 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Saw something similar a few months back on TV, every room in this blokes house, his garage, his back yard, just any bit of space this bloke had was filled with ****. When the bloke died a removal company was brought in to clear the place, they took two full days with a Ford Transit and trailer with umpteen runs back and for to the local dump to clear it all up, then industrial cleaners were brought in to clean the place.
Must be the mood I am in this morning ??!! was it actualy filled with **** or sh*t ??!! just you went onto make refrence to the words " unmpteen runs " and " local dump " after it ??!!

remember seeing something similar years ago and the chap had a thing about taking a pee in a bottle and storing it along with several hundred others in one off his spare rooms - as you do- joking apart its actually very sad .

did not see the ch4 programme that the OP was talking about in particular but will certainly try watch it on catch up tv- maybe even watch it xmas day if things get bad with whats on offer !!
Old 22 December 2011, 08:46 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Only problem with that program is the "normal" villagers are nuttier than the chap who hoards. He has a problem sure but the rest of them are ****'s..
Old 22 December 2011, 09:09 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
Only problem with that program is the "normal" villagers are nuttier than the chap who hoards. He has a problem sure but the rest of them are ****'s..
Thought the same actually. Reminded me of the film Hot Fuzz.

Respect to the gardener, he actually did better than the professional.

I was cringing with the 'kitchen doorway' too, I have nightmares about squeezing through gaps like that let alone living with it. Had to laugh at the big fireman when he got stuck by the front door, he looked a bit worried.

I've got a similar neighbour a few doors down. He looks like a tramp on the face of it and everyone avoids him. I actually approached him once to help with his car and he's a very intelligent man. He's an old Asian guy who's wife left him many years ago,actually an ex medical consultant and an extremely knowledgeable, nice guy. I've helped him a lot over the years now and enjoy speaking to him. He's got some funny traits like stocking up on ingredients all summer to make soup, then freezing loads and not leaving the house all winter. He wears loads of layers, multiple shirts and jumpers and always wearing the same coat and hat. He just looks like a homeless person. I've never seen his curtains open or a light on in his house!

Last edited by jameswrx; 22 December 2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 22 December 2011, 09:20 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I get like that sometimes. Nightmare, everything I have I think ' oh that might be useful in the futue' Or 'this is worth ££££, I'll ebay it one day".

That'll explain to anyone who wonders why I have five vacuum cleaners (was six, but I donated one ) and a garage full of old engines.

I do chuck out stuff though....the old Max power and performance car mags went in the bin last year....had them since I was 14 years old
Lol i think many are probably like that,thinking shall i chuck it or hold on to it.While on my hols i decided to have a clear up and found my collection of Take Off magazines from about 20 yrs ago,yes i still have them in the attic.Still couldn't bring myself to throw them out.

Old 22 December 2011, 11:24 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
I've got a similar neighbour a few doors down. He looks like a tramp on the face of it and everyone avoids him. I actually approached him once to help with his car and he's a very intelligent man. He's an old Asian guy who's wife left him many years ago,actually an ex medical consultant and an extremely knowledgeable, nice guy. I've helped him a lot over the years now and enjoy speaking to him.
Good for you James

Have to agree that the other residents of the village were the ones with the bigger problems, they just hadn't recognised that they were complete dicks.
Old 22 December 2011, 11:27 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
I've got a similar neighbour a few doors down. He looks like a tramp on the face of it and everyone avoids him. I actually approached him once to help with his car and he's a very intelligent man. He's an old Asian guy who's wife left him many years ago,actually an ex medical consultant and an extremely knowledgeable, nice guy. I've helped him a lot over the years now and enjoy speaking to him. He's got some funny traits like stocking up on ingredients all summer to make soup, then freezing loads and not leaving the house all winter. He wears loads of layers, multiple shirts and jumpers and always wearing the same coat and hat. He just looks like a homeless person. I've never seen his curtains open or a light on in his house!
We have 2 Welsh peolple (They are seperate entities; not connected to each other in any way) living in our area who do obesessive compulsive walking. They just walk and walk and walk for miles every day; in snow, wind or rain with their eyes transfixed to their path, minding their own business without causing any harm to anyone. They are named as the weirdos by most locals, and no one wants to know them. Its appalling to see such ignorance and lack of compassion of the mockers. No one gives a damn to the fact that their abnormal behaviours could have something to do with some sad event/s in their lives or else beyond their control, but they are still humans. I have got into some heated discussions with a few name-callers about them, and have told them to STFU.

In last night's programme on CH4, the guy was causing harm to the environment, but he needed help than the hatred and social exclusion. Sad world we live in.
Old 22 December 2011, 11:44 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by DYK
Lol i think many are probably like that,thinking shall i chuck it or hold on to it.While on my hols i decided to have a clear up and found my collection of Take Off magazines from about 20 yrs ago,yes i still have them in the attic.Still couldn't bring myself to throw them out.

LOL, what I didn't chuck out though was over five years worth of Beano comics dating back to 1985!

This guy is selling them for £1.50 a comic! : http://www.borderbookshop.co.uk/stor...CategoryID=142

Not bad considering they were originally 14pence
Old 22 December 2011, 01:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I seem to collect tools which always look as though they might be useful, but which I can rarely find again in the garage!

Les