Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

GGR SPORTS CAT DOWNPIPE IS FITTED!

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2003, 09:10 PM
NICEBLOKE35
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Finally got the ggr sports cat downpipe fitted today, cost me £95 inc to fit plus a magnex st8 through centre section fitted at the same time, so the results well as far as the emissions, well my mot was due march so i got that done at the same time and da da da da da da daaaaaa it passed !!!
As far as performance it sounds well erm, louder ?!?!? the ppp rear silencer sounds sweet, turbo spins up quicker and it feels much much faster off the mark so i defo got me a smile on me face here ...HOWEVER....
Now since buying the scooby i have become very ritualistic and obsessive !!! my wife feels i need therapy but as im a psychiatric nurse well self therapy will have to do...anyway back to the point, small 'possible' problem.....
i have noticed upon any hard acceleration i can hear a sort of quiet wind like wooshing from the engine/behind the dash type area, is this because i no have a diff downpipe with a smaller performance cat and st8 through centre without any resonator???? is it the turbo i can hear???? or have the mechanics fu***d up in some way....... its a very quiet noise but the obsessive/compulsive part of me has zoned in on it !!!otherwise the performance, pick up, torque and emissions passing has made me well chuffed !! oh and it didnt need any heating or hammering to get it on ...fit like a glove !
paul
Old 22 January 2003, 09:24 AM
Fat Blerk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cool and the gang..........knew you'd like it.

The noise is almost certainly just a symptom of a different downpipe - mine is incredibly noisy, with added wastegate chatter but I love it........ the induction kit also adds a big sucking whistley noise to mine...... pure joy. I sometimes think I'm being selfish, so am considering adding an afterburner backbox to share my noise with a no doubt appreciative public.

In fact, since I had it de-catted, I think I've turned the stereo on twice, on the motorway. Otherwise it stays well and truly off!
Old 22 January 2003, 10:43 AM
NICEBLOKE35
Scooby Regular

Talking

funny thing that fatty, but my stereo is a lovely piece of kit and i never have it on !!!! prefer the engine noise !!! lol
so this noise is a normal result of downpipes ??? good, so the next question is what induction kit can i have that wont need remapping and will fit in beautifully with a 99 classic, + ppp + dawes + ggr downpipe + magnex st8 through centre ???? suggestions please ??!!
cheers paul
Old 22 January 2003, 11:26 AM
Fat Blerk
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

That, me old son, is probably going to launch a HUGE induction / no induction debate......

According to some, most induction kits lead to MAF failure.
According to others, only oil soaked filter types lead to MAF failure.
According to others, your MAF is likely to pack in anyway, regardless of induction.

I have a PiperCross kit fitted to mine - which is one of the oil-type filters........ my MAF died within a month of fitting it......
the replacement MAF has given me no problems since. I also know of people who have had MAFs fail both with and without induction kits - the original MAFs on v5 imprezas are notoriously fragile and prone to failure..... have the induction kits caused the failure, or would it have happened anyway - the increased air flow may just highlight an existing problem......

My opinion on it now is: If given the choice again, I wouldn't bother putting one on......... however, as I've already taken the plunge, I'll leave it there (cos it sounds ace) but if another MAF dies, then I'll rethnk.

You thought the decision about your downpipe was difficult?? Nah - that was a split second decision!

Performance wise, I'd guess that at our level of modification, there are no real gains to be had - any gain in performance is more likely to be from the MAF misreading and leaning the mixture out slightly.

But it DOES sound good. Hmmmmmmm.
Old 22 January 2003, 07:04 PM
NICEBLOKE35
Scooby Regular

Wink

cheers blerk, after those wise words im gonna stick to the standard box!!!! wright im off for a drive with me new downpipe now !!!
paul
Old 23 January 2003, 11:31 AM
P1JON
Scooby Regular

Paul

What centre pipe did you go for size wise?I think the GGr downpipe can either be 3 inch all the way or taper to 2.5 where it joins the centre.Is it better to go for all 3 inch down and tapering centre pipe or have a narrower centre pipe the whole length?Also please can you let me know the benefit of changing the centre pipe if it doesnt have a cat in it?

Thanks,

john.