Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Best petrol mulching leaf vac/ blower

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2011, 02:24 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Best petrol mulching leaf vac/ blower

My old Muculloch Airstream IV, (US version is called an Eager Beaver. UK version was renamed - wonder why ).

Its been a pain in the **** for the entire of its 15year life, but not cost a penny in parts (I just keep stripping the carb, cleaning, adjusting, unblocking, bodging etc). The plastic blade is now knackered and I can't source a new one.

I was going to fabricate a new one out of steel, but yesterday the zip broke off on the bag and the primer bulb split. Plus the carb has blocked again as its losing power (there is a tiny mesh filter which gets choked with rubbery goo from the degrading fuel lines - methinks they are adding ethonol to 95ron fuel these days )

Plus the idea of an unblanced home made steel blade spinning at 7000rpm infront of my crotch doesn't sound appealing. I've seen what happens to flywheels when they break up, plus there is already 5mm of play in the crank bearings!

So to fix and put the family jewels at risk, or buy new? And which one? Has to petrol/2stroke as I can't be arsed with cables and I like to annoy the neighbours.

I want the most powerfullest handl held one there is that can mulch the most possible; As I need to get about ten wheelie bin loads of leaves shredded down to fit into one wheelie bin (last green collection is next week ) - a Flymo gardenvac or a rake isn't going to do the job.

So which what and where.

Tempted to get another mcculloch, but seen some makitas, which look similar but twice the price
Old 07 November 2011, 04:01 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't get a Makita petrol anything. I got the lawnmower and chainsaw a few years ago thinking they would be top quality, I am a massive fan of their power tools, drills, jigsaws etc, but the two items i got were utter crap and i sent them back. I think that are just branded Makita and made by another firm.

They may have got their act together by now, but if i were you i would get your hands on one before buying.
Old 07 November 2011, 07:06 PM
bruce1986
Scooby Regular

stihl are good,i use them most days but just as a leaf blower though quite expensive though for some of the top models,get what you pay for i suppose
Old 08 November 2011, 08:44 AM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

I bought a Sthl somethingsomething55 (label has rubbed off, Google suggests BG55) untested from a clearance auction for a tenner. It ran ok, then after a few days locked up solid. I stripped it and the piston was mullered. I got a new one from a local dealership, gave the bore a quick hone and it has been brilliant ever since. Powerful, light enough and starts every time.
Old 08 November 2011, 09:51 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Been rummaging round the net and it looks like anyone stocking Stilh will not do online deliveries. Because of and agreement with Stilh.

What a royal pain in the ****! It means I have to trapse across the Midlands to pick one up Are Stilh living in the stoneage or purposely trying to inconvienence would-be customers?

Husqvana look like another potential, but I'm struggling to find online spares (like carb gasket kits and replacement fan/cutter blades)

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 November 2011 at 10:04 AM.