Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

John Terry. Unforgivable or PC too far?

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2011, 02:09 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question John Terry. Unforgivable or PC too far?

No threads on this so far, i guess it's a bit sensitive.

But what's the SN opinion? Should John Terry be hung out to dry? Apparently the maximum he could face if charged, tried and convicted would be seven years inside.

But is that justified for calling a black bloke.... black??

Not sure where i stand on this. As the England captain it was bloody stupid, but does it warrant a formal Police investigation? If Ferdinand had called Terry a thick white tw@t, would he also be facing similar charges?
Old 02 November 2011, 02:10 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

so what exactly did he do?
Old 02 November 2011, 02:12 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Allegedly he called Anton Ferdinand a black c-word.
Old 02 November 2011, 02:15 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy

But what's the SN opinion? Should John Terry be hung out to dry? Apparently the maximum he could face if charged, tried and convicted would be seven years inside.

Not sure where i stand on this. As the England captain it was bloody stupid, but does it warrant a formal Police investigation? If Ferdinand had called Terry a thick white tw@t, would he also be facing similar charges?
Isn't there a point somewhere in between the 2 options you gave (Unforgivable or PC too far)?

Firstly, I think Terry (like most of his peers) is a first class prat.

He might of said something in the heat of battle that was racially motivated, that doesn't necessarily make him a racist, he just a dumbass and should be punished accordingly
Old 02 November 2011, 02:16 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Maybe in a court of law if it is disected they would find the statements factually correct;

1. The guy was actually Black.
2. John Terry is actually a thick white tw@t
Old 02 November 2011, 02:17 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

But is a formal Police investigation somewhere in between? That's pretty hardcore in my book. Isn't there somebody who can just tell everybody to calm down. Was Ferdinand wounded for life for having his colour mentioned to him?
Old 02 November 2011, 02:22 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I don't think he should have said it and deserves to be disciplined, especially being in the position that he is in as a role model to kids etc.

But, on the other hand is there that much difference to a Welshman being called a sheep ******* which I have been called many many times whilst working abroad in England

Both could be construed as offensive but in my case I'd rather just have a good retort than go whinging on about it.
Old 02 November 2011, 02:28 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a police investigation is OTT, but the FA and the club should discipline him, 2 weeks wages or something.

But he should be being disciplined by the club if it's proven, if they don't then they are complicit in the racism.
Old 02 November 2011, 02:31 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a thread in Sport

He's white trash what do you expect, he has form, as does his father, his mother and his mother in law, a classy bunch of people.

There is no excuse for calling him Black, could have just called him a **** end of, but he didn't, allegedly, so why did he call him a Black ****, probably because he was angry as his team were losing and down to 9 men and Ferdinand was doing all he could to stop Chelsea from equalising, which he did to good effect.

Something tells me Rio has been in Anton's ear on this one.
Old 02 November 2011, 02:31 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

But that's my question really, IS it racism? Derogatory names yeah i can understand are meant to be offensive, but merely saying "black"?
Old 02 November 2011, 02:32 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
There is a thread in Sport
This one's not sport related, nobody's said football yet
Old 02 November 2011, 02:34 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

If he said "your a c***" then fine. If he said "your a black c***" the argument is why say black? Is using the word black meant as an observation or an inclusion to the insult?

To me its the latter and even though I don't even like football this John Terry guy seems a bit of an **** and its likely it's being blown up because of media interest in him.

If I said Lewis Hamilton was short, black and unable to hold on to girlfriends am I being mean or being observant? (not that I would say that)

Last edited by EddScott; 02 November 2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: didn't make sense
Old 02 November 2011, 02:36 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip

But, on the other hand is there that much difference to a Welshman being called a sheep ******* which I have been called many many times whilst working abroad in England
Thats what I dont get

Banter goes on like this everyday, sometimes friendly sometimes hateful, but at the end of the day its only words

Did they not learn nursery rymes when they were younger 'Sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me'

Why is it when it happens to somebody with coloured skin theres a big fuss about it

Surely accepting racism exists (towards ethnic origins) makes someone a racists in their own right ?
Old 02 November 2011, 02:36 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Well he is black so looking at it from that point of view then no it's not a problem unless of course, somebody as usual, wants to make it one.
Old 02 November 2011, 02:39 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

is ******* black **** not just descriptive of the player. if he had wanted to be racist would he have not have called him a ******* ****** ****? maybe its just me. too many of these people jumping on the racist bandwagon for my liking. as has been said before i would have just called him a **** and been done with it.
Old 02 November 2011, 02:45 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Calling someone a black anything is a tad unnecesary imho ... colour of skin isn't an issue is it. Call someone a twat by all means but leave skin tone out of it

TX.
Old 02 November 2011, 02:57 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Why though ?

Commenting on someones skin colour is the same as commenting on fat/skinny/ugly/specky imo
Old 02 November 2011, 02:59 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Isn't there a point somewhere in between the 2 options you gave (Unforgivable or PC too far)?

Firstly, I think Terry (like most of his peers) is a first class prat.

He might of said something in the heat of battle that was racially motivated, that doesn't necessarily make him a racist, he just a dumbass and should be punished accordingly
What he said!
Old 02 November 2011, 03:00 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Problem with racism in the UK is that if two people (one white and one black) are having a laugh and joke and the white guys says 'you black idiot' and a third person hears it and is offended...he/she can report it as racism even though the recipient is in no way offended or classes it as racism. The police are then obliged to investigate the racist action

Someone who read the paper or saw it on TV can call the filth and lodge it as racist and it has to be investigated............crazy.
Old 02 November 2011, 03:03 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

The main problem is that he's famous, and a lot of children look up to him (god help them), so therefore he's setting a bad example
Old 02 November 2011, 03:06 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Skin colour has always been "special" though ... I guess it goes back to slave days &/or when black people were genuinely 2nd class citizens? Being fat is not exactly the same is it.

TX.
Old 02 November 2011, 03:11 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Tel

Its a media storm in a teacup. Police will investigate, no charges will be brought (what for?) and the whole thing will be a waste of time.

Calling someone a black **** isnt, in itself, against the law.

The offence is stirring up hatred on racial grounds. Racism itself is not an offence.

Last edited by Devildog; 02 November 2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02 November 2011, 03:12 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

A Pakistani taxi diver called me a White c*nt last week. If I'd have reported it do you think the police would have even got in touch with him never mind given him seven years?
Old 02 November 2011, 03:12 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
when black people were genuinely 2nd class citizens?

Surely that is abhorrently racist unless you include the words "treated as" ? I'm reporting you

Seriously though, i think you're being too precious about skin colour. If somebody calls me white - so what? What's the difference?
Old 02 November 2011, 03:15 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Tel

Its a media storm in a teacup. Police will investigate, no charges will be brought (what for?) and the whole thing will be a waste of time.

Calling someone a black **** isnt, in itself, against the law.
Then that's even crazier. Can't the Police tell the QPR supporter, or whoever it was, to push off and do something worthwhile? Why are they obliged to investigate it fully, if the only allegation is the word "black".
Old 02 November 2011, 03:17 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Then that's even crazier. Can't the Police tell the QPR supporter, or whoever it was, to push off and do something worthwhile? Why are they obliged to investigate it fully, if the only allegation is the word "black".
Cynically, for the simple reason that the world has gone PC crazy.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/1/introduction

Last edited by Devildog; 02 November 2011 at 03:18 PM.
fivetide
Scooby Regular

daz - yes. Up here at least anyway. Much better at it in Scotland thanks to the whole Catholic/Protestant thing.

Terry is vile human being and should be dropped/fined/made to apologise. Is it the sort of thing to go to prison for? Doubtful, a warning should suffice.

He needs to lose his role with England though. As someone said, he probably isn't racist, given the make up of the Chelski team but he is a thick git.

Remember old Ron Atkinson got hung out to dry? Now that was racist.

5t.
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Who cares what people say, i've been called everything over the years, half breed, paki, ****** and honkey and the funny thing is by all of the aforementioned as well has i'm sure as anton, at the end of the day it's no worse that calling someone a fat ugly kunt, people look at the features and insult accordingly, perfectly normal behaviour, don't see why someones colour should give them or someone else the right or reason to go to court about it, or jail for it.

FFS insults are meant to offend, if it did not then it would not be an insult would it, you dopey bunch of Kunts

Last edited by ditchmyster; 02 November 2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02 November 2011, 03:25 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Bring in some rugby rules and regs, ***** like him would never play again. Over paid t**t.

Quick Reply: John Terry. Unforgivable or PC too far?