ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   John Terry. Unforgivable or PC too far? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/911662-john-terry-unforgivable-or-pc-too-far.html)

TelBoy 02 November 2011 02:09 PM

John Terry. Unforgivable or PC too far?

No threads on this so far, i guess it's a bit sensitive.

But what's the SN opinion? Should John Terry be hung out to dry? Apparently the maximum he could face if charged, tried and convicted would be seven years inside.

But is that justified for calling a black bloke.... black??

Not sure where i stand on this. As the England captain it was bloody stupid, but does it warrant a formal Police investigation? If Ferdinand had called Terry a thick white tw@t, would he also be facing similar charges?

finalzero 02 November 2011 02:10 PM

so what exactly did he do?

TelBoy 02 November 2011 02:12 PM

Allegedly he called Anton Ferdinand a black c-word.

Martin2005 02 November 2011 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 10311433)

But what's the SN opinion? Should John Terry be hung out to dry? Apparently the maximum he could face if charged, tried and convicted would be seven years inside.

Not sure where i stand on this. As the England captain it was bloody stupid, but does it warrant a formal Police investigation? If Ferdinand had called Terry a thick white tw@t, would he also be facing similar charges?

Isn't there a point somewhere in between the 2 options you gave (Unforgivable or PC too far)?

Firstly, I think Terry (like most of his peers) is a first class prat.

He might of said something in the heat of battle that was racially motivated, that doesn't necessarily make him a racist, he just a dumbass and should be punished accordingly

SPEN555 02 November 2011 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 10311433)

Maybe in a court of law if it is disected they would find the statements factually correct;

1. The guy was actually Black.
2. John Terry is actually a thick white tw@t :)

TelBoy 02 November 2011 02:17 PM

But is a formal Police investigation somewhere in between? That's pretty hardcore in my book. Isn't there somebody who can just tell everybody to calm down. Was Ferdinand wounded for life for having his colour mentioned to him?

Chip 02 November 2011 02:22 PM

I don't think he should have said it and deserves to be disciplined, especially being in the position that he is in as a role model to kids etc.

But, on the other hand is there that much difference to a Welshman being called a sheep shagger which I have been called many many times whilst working abroad in England;)

Both could be construed as offensive but in my case I'd rather just have a good retort than go whinging on about it.

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 02 November 2011 02:28 PM

I think a police investigation is OTT, but the FA and the club should discipline him, 2 weeks wages or something.

But he should be being disciplined by the club if it's proven, if they don't then they are complicit in the racism.

Funkii Munkii 02 November 2011 02:31 PM

There is a thread in Sport ;)

He's white trash what do you expect, he has form, as does his father, his mother and his mother in law, a classy bunch of people.

There is no excuse for calling him Black, could have just called him a cnut end of, but he didn't, allegedly, so why did he call him a Black cnut, probably because he was angry as his team were losing and down to 9 men and Ferdinand was doing all he could to stop Chelsea from equalising, which he did to good effect.

Something tells me Rio has been in Anton's ear on this one.

TelBoy 02 November 2011 02:31 PM

But that's my question really, IS it racism? Derogatory names yeah i can understand are meant to be offensive, but merely saying "black"?

TelBoy 02 November 2011 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii (Post 10311478)
There is a thread in Sport ;)

This one's not sport related, nobody's said football yet :smug:

EddScott 02 November 2011 02:34 PM

If he said "your a c***" then fine. If he said "your a black c***" the argument is why say black? Is using the word black meant as an observation or an inclusion to the insult?

To me its the latter and even though I don't even like football this John Terry guy seems a bit of an ar5e and its likely it's being blown up because of media interest in him.

If I said Lewis Hamilton was short, black and unable to hold on to girlfriends am I being mean or being observant? (not that I would say that)

stef_2010 02 November 2011 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chip (Post 10311463)

But, on the other hand is there that much difference to a Welshman being called a sheep shagger which I have been called many many times whilst working abroad in England;)

Thats what I dont get

Banter goes on like this everyday, sometimes friendly sometimes hateful, but at the end of the day its only words

Did they not learn nursery rymes when they were younger 'Sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me'

Why is it when it happens to somebody with coloured skin theres a big fuss about it

Surely accepting racism exists (towards ethnic origins) makes someone a racists in their own right ?

Chip 02 November 2011 02:36 PM

Well he is black so looking at it from that point of view then no it's not a problem unless of course, somebody as usual, wants to make it one.

bigsinky 02 November 2011 02:39 PM

is fcuking black cnut not just descriptive of the player. if he had wanted to be racist would he have not have called him a fcuking nigger cnut? maybe its just me. too many of these people jumping on the racist bandwagon for my liking. as has been said before i would have just called him a cnut and been done with it.

Terminator X 02 November 2011 02:45 PM

Calling someone a black anything is a tad unnecesary imho ... colour of skin isn't an issue is it. Call someone a twat by all means but leave skin tone out of it :nono:

TX.

stef_2010 02 November 2011 02:57 PM

Why though ?

Commenting on someones skin colour is the same as commenting on fat/skinny/ugly/specky imo

The Zohan 02 November 2011 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 10311443)
Isn't there a point somewhere in between the 2 options you gave (Unforgivable or PC too far)?

He might of said something in the heat of battle that was racially motivated, that doesn't necessarily make him a racist, he just a dumbass and should be punished accordingly

What he said!:)

mrtheedge2u2 02 November 2011 03:00 PM

Problem with racism in the UK is that if two people (one white and one black) are having a laugh and joke and the white guys says 'you black idiot' and a third person hears it and is offended...he/she can report it as racism even though the recipient is in no way offended or classes it as racism. The police are then obliged to investigate the racist action

Someone who read the paper or saw it on TV can call the filth and lodge it as racist and it has to be investigated............crazy.

hutton_d 02 November 2011 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 10311443)

Yep, JT is a first class pratt!

The last part of your quote here is basically what Arsene Wenger said. And it applies to most things. In the heat of the moment (footie, school playground, etc etc) you call the first names that seem "appropriate" at the time. 'You ginger tw*t', 'you fat c&nt', 'you spotty bast@rd', etc etc. The only punishment you should get is a swift kick from the person you insulted and that should be the end of it. There is absolutely NO need to carry out "investigations" into what was said by/to whom.

The old playground saying 'sticks and stones etc' has never been more true. Ferdinand should get a life**, smack JT and be done with it!

Dave

** - though it was maybe not him that instigated the "investigation".

urban 02 November 2011 03:03 PM

The main problem is that he's famous, and a lot of children look up to him (god help them), so therefore he's setting a bad example

Terminator X 02 November 2011 03:06 PM

Skin colour has always been "special" though ... I guess it goes back to slave days &/or when black people were genuinely 2nd class citizens? Being fat is not exactly the same is it.

TX.

Devildog 02 November 2011 03:11 PM

Tel

Its a media storm in a teacup. Police will investigate, no charges will be brought (what for?) and the whole thing will be a waste of time.

Calling someone a black **** isnt, in itself, against the law.

The offence is stirring up hatred on racial grounds. Racism itself is not an offence.

dazdavies 02 November 2011 03:12 PM

A Pakistani taxi diver called me a White c*nt last week. If I'd have reported it do you think the police would have even got in touch with him never mind given him seven years?

TelBoy 02 November 2011 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 10311547)
when black people were genuinely 2nd class citizens?

Surely that is abhorrently racist unless you include the words "treated as" ? I'm reporting you :smug:

Seriously though, i think you're being too precious about skin colour. If somebody calls me white - so what? What's the difference?

TelBoy 02 November 2011 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 10311551)
Tel

Its a media storm in a teacup. Police will investigate, no charges will be brought (what for?) and the whole thing will be a waste of time.

Calling someone a black **** isnt, in itself, against the law.

Then that's even crazier. Can't the Police tell the QPR supporter, or whoever it was, to push off and do something worthwhile? Why are they obliged to investigate it fully, if the only allegation is the word "black".

Devildog 02 November 2011 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 10311557)
Then that's even crazier. Can't the Police tell the QPR supporter, or whoever it was, to push off and do something worthwhile? Why are they obliged to investigate it fully, if the only allegation is the word "black".

Cynically, for the simple reason that the world has gone PC crazy.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/1/introduction

fivetide 02 November 2011 03:17 PM

daz - yes. Up here at least anyway. Much better at it in Scotland thanks to the whole Catholic/Protestant thing.

Terry is vile human being and should be dropped/fined/made to apologise. Is it the sort of thing to go to prison for? Doubtful, a warning should suffice.

He needs to lose his role with England though. As someone said, he probably isn't racist, given the make up of the Chelski team but he is a thick git.

Remember old Ron Atkinson got hung out to dry? Now that was racist.

5t.

ditchmyster 02 November 2011 03:17 PM

Who cares what people say, i've been called everything over the years, half breed, paki, nigger and honkey and the funny thing is by all of the aforementioned as well :lol1: has i'm sure as anton, at the end of the day it's no worse that calling someone a fat ugly kunt, people look at the features and insult accordingly, perfectly normal behaviour, don't see why someones colour should give them or someone else the right or reason to go to court about it, or jail for it.

FFS insults are meant to offend, if it did not then it would not be an insult would it, you dopey bunch of Kunts:D

The Trooper 1815 02 November 2011 03:25 PM

Bring in some rugby rules and regs, knobs like him would never play again. Over paid t**t.