Supra crash on Motorway Cops, BBC1

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2011, 09:12 PM
MicaDan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supra crash on Motorway Cops, BBC1

On BBC1 now...

Ouch!! Looks to have a few quid thrown at it!! Shame the idiot behind the wheel couldn't drive . Lucky he didn't hurt anyone else!!

That's why you need AWD folks!!
Old 10 October 2011, 09:18 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I knew this guy years ago, spent a good £20k on an imported Supra. Real sensible guy would never mess around etc..

Driving to work one morning the road went from tarmac to cement, I can't rememeber how fast he was going - IIRC he had just pulled away from the lights in traffic.

Back end came out and he wrote the car off.. only weeks after getting it
Old 10 October 2011, 09:23 PM
MicaDan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
I knew this guy years ago, spent a good £20k on an imported Supra. Real sensible guy would never mess around etc..

Driving to work one morning the road went from tarmac to cement, I can't rememeber how fast he was going - IIRC he had just pulled away from the lights in traffic.

Back end came out and he wrote the car off.. only weeks after getting it
Looking at the damage he was going a fair rate of knots, and on a busy dual carriageway too!!

Eye-witnesses said he showing a complete disregard to his and other's safety!!

I also once knew a guy who was the nicest guy in the world, he'd also just had a baby girl and started a very succesfull job. he got carried away at one of those Chavvy "Max Power" cruises and decided to race his car against another in front of a crowd of people. He hit the kerb and rolled the car on top of an eight year old boy, paralysing him. he ended up being jailed for 8 years!!

Doesn't matter whether you are a nice guy or a complete idiot, speeding around like that on busy road with no regard for safety is asking for trouble!!

Last edited by MicaDan; 10 October 2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10 October 2011, 09:31 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

The Supra is an interesting beast. I had mine for nearly 10 years. After coming from a Subaru I took a bend with the slightest hint of moisture on the road and ending up facing the wrong way. In the Subaru I could have been going much faster with no problems.

The traction control is interesting as well. The best way to describe it is as a little flashing light to distract you whilst you crash.

Edit: Having said that, I loved my Supra and only sold it as I needed a car less than ten years old even though it had done 120,000 with very few problems.

Steve

Last edited by boxst; 10 October 2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10 October 2011, 09:34 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MicaDan
Does that stop you being a **** then?

You can be a **** in AWD?
Old 10 October 2011, 09:41 PM
MicaDan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
Does that stop you being a **** then?

You can be a **** in AWD?
I completely agree, and I can't pretend that I always drive my car like i'm "driving Miss Daisy", however I've owned a Supra and with that amount of money thrown at it, even opening the taps in a straight line is like playing russian roulette as you just don't know which way it's going to go!! To **** things up that much just from entering the slip road onto a STRAIGHT piece of dual-carriageway would make a pretty good argument for AWD for said driver! I totally agree, you can do silly things in an AWD car and it'll end horribly, but one thing it will do is accelerate in a straight line without spitting you into the verge!
Old 10 October 2011, 09:48 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

It take real men to handle powerful RWD cars.
Old 10 October 2011, 09:55 PM
MicaDan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
It take real men to handle powerful RWD cars.
I completely agree. I used to compete in the HKS Drag Series in an 800bhp drag R32 GTR which had switchable 2/4WD so you could use the line lock and burn out to heat the rear tyres. Tried running it in 2WD mode...not trying that again !! Definitely not man enough .
Old 10 October 2011, 10:01 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Cockypop!

AWD is for gays and farmers.
Old 10 October 2011, 10:03 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Main thing - IMHO - is you need to have finesse with the right foot and have a feel for the rear slipping/sliding - like driving the car from the rear. In an AWD you can normally just floor it with confidence even in the wet, point and squirt if you like.

My GTST only has about 330 hp, but will easily spin the rears when wet in 3rd, then it steps out to the left a little 'cos the LSD is not very good. The closest I've come to crashing it was in the wet once being too heavy with the right foot, but the car settles well when you lift off.

Last edited by tony de wonderful; 10 October 2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11 October 2011, 12:05 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Yep, totally agree. With rwd you have to drive the car, not just point it in the direction you want to go.

That and a keen eye for changes in tarmac are definitely your friend, oh the days of lighting them up under moderate acceleration on motorway slip roads
Astraboy.

Last edited by astraboy; 11 October 2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 11 October 2011, 07:56 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

A Turbo'd supra with naff rear tyres is not pleasent in the cold/damp. Even the OEM Yokos/Bridgestones. Which aren't suited to our climate IMHO. The problem wasn't always the oversteer on power it was it biting back when lifting off too much - that was with a friend's concours UK twin turbo. Probably one the few tottally standard and unmolested Supras out there.

Not saying tyres is the only cause but it makes them very unforgiving should the rear let go. I had the same problem with my Monaro and its factory fit Pirellis. The fly-by-wire thottle made this a nightmare as it didn't react to precise movements or act in a linear fashion - which makes balancing the car on the throttle quite tricky, the engine braking was huge so would quite easily induce lift-off oversteer even at low engine speeds, the fly-by-wire would dampen this, but not always, which made it unpredictable. (and hence why so many are in salvage yards). Similar traction control too - i.e it does nothing and only decides to work after you've left 20ft of tyres marks on the road accompanied by a trail of tyre smoke in the dry, or if its a wet road; started to plough an adjacent field. .

You cut your teeth in a big BHP RWD car, thats for sure. And you only know your limits after you've crashed one. My old man's Jag is a doddle in comparison, although it has caught me out after a load of fine gravel stuck to the tyres when I pulled away from a carpark. Only breathed on the thottle and the thing went broadside.

Never had an issue with BMWs though unless driven in anger. Maybe becaase most aren't powerful/torquey enough at lowish revs and have over intrusive stability control systems (M-cars excepting )

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 October 2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11 October 2011, 07:57 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Looking at the damage he was going a fair rate of knots, and on a busy dual carriageway too!!

Eye-witnesses said he showing a complete disregard to his and other's safety!!

I also once knew a guy who was the nicest guy in the world, he'd also just had a baby girl and started a very succesfull job. he got carried away at one of those Chavvy "Max Power" cruises and decided to race his car against another in front of a crowd of people. He hit the kerb and rolled the car on top of an eight year old boy, paralysing him. he ended up being jailed for 8 years!!

Doesn't matter whether you are a nice guy or a complete idiot, speeding around like that on busy road with no regard for safety is asking for trouble!!

True he could have been completly showing off etc and yes I wasn't there so will never know.

But the way he was and the way he explained it made me wonder. If Mr Bean can loose it as an accident then surley not everyone drives line a ******? - Accidents do happen to innocent people.
Old 11 October 2011, 08:53 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

For me, the copper's comments summed it up.

"All he was worried about was his car". Utter utter tw@t.

I think the bloke who was the eye witness explained very well how fast cars like ours, being driven irresponsibly, are perceived. A lot of people on here would do well to heed his words. Too many arseholes thinking that fast = impressive, faster still = heroic. Fail.
Old 11 October 2011, 10:03 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Similar traction control too - i.e it does nothing and only decides to work after you've left 20ft of tyres marks on the road accompanied by a trail of tyre smoke in the dry, or if its a wet road; started to plough an adjacent field. .

Haha what's the point even?

Monaros were quite popular with the Bogan hooners in Australia. Often seen doing massive burnouts outside my flat on a Sunday morning.
Old 11 October 2011, 11:12 AM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
Cockypop!

AWD is for gays and farmers.
Or maybe a gay farmer
Old 11 October 2011, 12:45 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

On BBC1 now...

Ouch!! Looks to have a few quid thrown at it!! Shame the idiot behind the wheel couldn't drive . Lucky he didn't hurt anyone else!!

The real skill in fast driving is with a rear wheel drive car which is properly set up as far as the suspension is concerned.

Any decent driver can handle it and there is great satisfaction to be gained by fast cornering in a safe fashion with the steering wheel and throttle balanced so that the car is following the best line through the corner. Not difficult when you get used to it. Four wheel drifts are the most impreesive way to do it in the right place of course.

les
Old 11 October 2011, 12:45 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I nearly bought an old Shape Supra Turbo, standard apart from some 17 inch (massive at the time !) alloys with some **** tyres on, got it off a trader mate of mine and drove it for a couple of days, it was dangerous, was an auto and it seemed to shift down and drop you right into enough boost to cause it to start squirming even on a light throttle, in the wet, forget it, it was comical and even accelerating with traffic at normal speed was cue for the rears to spin up, the Head Gasket went so I got a refund, was glad as it was a liability.
Old 11 October 2011, 12:51 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful

Haha what's the point even?

Monaros were quite popular with the Bogan hooners in Australia. Often seen doing massive burnouts outside my flat on a Sunday morning.
Nowadays they just wrap them round a telegraph pole loaded with their mates.

It shocked me the amount of kids that were getting involved in high speed big accidents in and around Syd, usually ending in the loss of life/lives. Then again they could jump in a Supra or a V6 Falcon or Commodore on their P's and invariably they'd lose it in a major way.
Old 11 October 2011, 01:27 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
Nowadays they just wrap them round a telegraph pole loaded with their mates.

It shocked me the amount of kids that were getting involved in high speed big accidents in and around Syd, usually ending in the loss of life/lives. Then again they could jump in a Supra or a V6 Falcon or Commodore on their P's and invariably they'd lose it in a major way.
Insurance is much cheaper in Australia I noticed.

I remember when I was in Perth some kid - with a full car - ran his Falcon of the road and it got cut in half by a pole.
Old 11 October 2011, 02:01 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Saw it plenty of times, one of the lads I worked with lost a 16 year old female friend by way of the pole
Old 23 March 2012, 03:02 PM
s13silvia
Scooby Regular

I sold my 380hp stripped-out manual z32 to an 18 year old late last year - and it was by far the most controllable rwd car I've had on the limits (way better than any S-body/skyline I've driven), but I took him out in it first to show him it didn't take much for it to bite. He didn't like it and sold it to his mate who's now dead via a drystone-dyke through the roof not far out a 30mph zone
Old 23 March 2012, 03:15 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

The LSD makes a massive difference is a real (RWD) car.
Old 23 March 2012, 03:43 PM
bigredrob
Scooby Regular

I had a sunbeam lotus in the late 70s,it always wanted to change direction in the wet when you booted it, then had a R5 Gordini Turbo, which was so much better, so much so I had a R5 GT turbo after that.