Question for those into fitness / running

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2011, 03:12 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for those into fitness / running

Been using the treadmill for 4 months now

Some days i can do my routine with no probs - A combination of low speed, interspersed with increased speed sections, other days long steady speeds.. with short burts to increase the heart rate

Usually about 60 -65 minute loops

Some days its a doddle, others i really struggle... any ideas?

Cant see any pattern that stands out, diet is the same, so i cant see that as a factor

Weights down to 11-2 now

Any ideas?

Mart

Last edited by mart360; 08 October 2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08 October 2011, 03:21 PM
FitnessFreak83
Scooby Regular

To be honest buddy i would ask what your main goal is??

If its to lose weight (which you have stated you are doing) i wouldnt worry too much about the workout itself - your obviusly doing something right hey!

Everyone has good and bad days, dependant on lots of factors i.e sleep the night before, what youve eaten that day, water intake, long days at work, REST!!! - theres lots of variables buddy...

My main advice would be to stick at it, stay consistant, and dont be afraid to change things up a little if you feel its getting same old same old -
your body does become accustomed to what you throw at it, so make sure you give it something to challenge it!

Hope this helps fella
Old 08 October 2011, 03:49 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Some days its a doddle, others i really struggle...

any ideas?

Mart
Music helps a lot, ive done various forms of training throughout my life having played rugby from 13 yrs old until i was 34.

Some days you can't be bothered, just get a load of your favourite music tracks and put them into an ipod or similar type player, its always easier to train or do running when your mind is occupied with something that makes you feel good rather than negative thoughts that make you feel as though you can't be bothered.
Old 08 October 2011, 04:01 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FitnessFreak83
To be honest buddy i would ask what your main goal is??

If its to lose weight (which you have stated you are doing) i wouldnt worry too much about the workout itself - your obviusly doing something right hey!

Everyone has good and bad days, dependant on lots of factors i.e sleep the night before, what youve eaten that day, water intake, long days at work, REST!!! - theres lots of variables buddy...

My main advice would be to stick at it, stay consistant, and dont be afraid to change things up a little if you feel its getting same old same old -
your body does become accustomed to what you throw at it, so make sure you give it something to challenge it!

Hope this helps fella

Cheers At least i know its not just me then

Mart
Old 08 October 2011, 04:02 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob_Impreza99
Music helps a lot, ive done various forms of training throughout my life having played rugby from 13 yrs old until i was 34.

Some days you can't be bothered, just get a load of your favourite music tracks and put them into an ipod or similar type player, its always easier to train or do running when your mind is occupied with something that makes you feel good rather than negative thoughts that make you feel as though you can't be bothered.
Got that allready, although its a bugger trying to keep buds in when your bopping along all hot and sweaty lol

Mart
Old 08 October 2011, 04:09 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Got that allready, although its a bugger trying to keep buds in when your bopping along all hot and sweaty lol

Mart
Use the headphones that hook over your ears. Also, get out running, its much more interesting and you wilol get a real idea of how fast you are and how far you can do (if that is your goal, speed and distance)
Old 08 October 2011, 06:55 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Been using the treadmill for 4 months now

Some days i can do my routine with no probs - A combination of low speed, interspersed with increased speed sections, other days long steady speeds.. with short burts to increase the heart rate

Usually about 60 -65 minute loops

Some days its a doddle, others i really struggle... any ideas?

Cant see any pattern that stands out, diet is the same, so i cant see that as a factor

Weights down to 11-2 now

Any ideas?

Mart
Recovery time, how much I've drunk, what I've eaten and when and even general motivation all play a factor for me.

Running intervals has been great for me with my diet - lost nearly 2 & 1/2 stone in 9 weeks

60 Minutes is quite a long time, how often are you doing that?
Old 08 October 2011, 06:58 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Get down the pool , when ladies and babies are absent

Do 50 lengths - you wont wear out your joints
Old 08 October 2011, 07:02 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelro
... 60 Minutes is quite a long time, how often are you doing that?
Indeed it is. For most moderately fit amateur runners 60 minutes continuous running on the road would amount to between 6 and 9 miles, or between 1/4 and 1/3 of a marathon. It shouldn't surprise anyone that they sometimes struggle to knock distances like that out day in and day out, and not feel it a bit.
Old 08 October 2011, 07:10 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Are you drinking the same amount of water / fluids each day... I find if I don't drink say 2litres it's harder. Also if I have a crap sleep / day at work... Try dangling a crispy creme doughnut at the end of the tread mill... Run fatboy run!
Old 08 October 2011, 07:12 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by michaelro
Recovery time, how much I've drunk, what I've eaten and when and even general motivation all play a factor for me.

Running intervals has been great for me with my diet - lost nearly 2 & 1/2 stone in 9 weeks

60 Minutes is quite a long time, how often are you doing that?
What have you done to lose that weight mate? That is impressive in 9 weeks
Old 08 October 2011, 08:19 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Indeed it is. For most moderately fit amateur runners 60 minutes continuous running on the road would amount to between 6 and 9 miles, or between 1/4 and 1/3 of a marathon. It shouldn't surprise anyone that they sometimes struggle to knock distances like that out day in and day out, and not feel it a bit.

I dont run constantly , im nowhere near that fit lol. Its walking 4+mph interspaced with bouts of running / jogging - .5 -1 miles or times ie 15 - 20 minutes .. or 2/2 2 mins walking/ 2 running or distances .. 2 tenths running then two walking and switch constantly And having the treadmill on the incline setting adds to the fun as well

(Being on the small side, i dont get the advantage of a large gait lol) so the little legs are going twice as fast lol

I do it every other day ....

Since June when i started ive lost 40lb near on 3 stone

got from 14 stone to a 11-2

Mart
Old 08 October 2011, 08:20 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Are you drinking the same amount of water / fluids each day... I find if I don't drink say 2litres it's harder. Also if I have a crap sleep / day at work... Try dangling a crispy creme doughnut at the end of the tread mill... Run fatboy run!

Used to have a cup of coffee or tea before starting..... the caffiene is certainly a lift if nothing else

Mart
Old 08 October 2011, 09:13 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

whats your goals, lossing bodyfat? just out and out fitness?

if youve stagnated in weight/bf wise, then your doing something wrong.(if your trying to loose more)

no point doing the same thing and expecting different results.

loosing bodyfat is, slightly different to being ultimatley healthy.

or just lacking general motivation?
Old 08 October 2011, 09:42 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I can run about 4 miles outside in variable times. The rule I have is that I don't stop. Even if I'm running slowly, I'm running....
Been ill this week, so haven't run since treadmill on Tuesday, prefer to be outside as I actually run further and faster. Music, as mentioned before is really important! I have the ministry of sound running tracks which builds up tempo and keeps you focussed. There is one really uplifting track on there which really gets me going lol
Old 08 October 2011, 10:24 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wilbo
What have you done to lose that weight mate? That is impressive in 9 weeks
Cheers

Started off with just cutting down portion sizes and increased exercise then tried Dukan Diet which is mostly protien and no carbs.

Hard going but effective.
Old 08 October 2011, 10:30 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

I dont run constantly , im nowhere near that fit lol. Its walking 4+mph interspaced with bouts of running / jogging - .5 -1 miles or times ie 15 - 20 minutes .. or 2/2 2 mins walking/ 2 running or distances .. 2 tenths running then two walking and switch constantly And having the treadmill on the incline setting adds to the fun as well

(Being on the small side, i dont get the advantage of a large gait lol) so the little legs are going twice as fast lol

I do it every other day ....

Since June when i started ive lost 40lb near on 3 stone

got from 14 stone to a 11-2

Mart
Maybe try running harder for shorter times.
I run flat out (10mph) for 1-2 miles then walk at 3mph until I feel like I can go again and run as long as I can.

Was only on the running machine for 30 minutes yesterday but left the hr monitor on for 20 minutes afterwards, burnt 700 calories in 50 minutes