Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Women......... And DIY!

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2011, 04:04 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Women......... And DIY!

Inspired by Alcazr's thread, I thought I'd start this 1 and regail you all of an encounter I had with a personage of the fairer sex and their DIY abilities...........

Whilst working at my 2nd serious job since leaving Uni, the other half bought a house with the help of her parents, so she didn't have to move every 6 months whilst doing her PHd.

Being the dutifull boyfriend, I helped her move, paint and generally set up home to much gratitude it has to be said. However some time later she decides she wants to change the wall lights in the bed room, so goes out and buys said new lights..... Alas this is where the problems started as I was not consulted in the aforementioned purchase.. She just bought lights she liked, not thinking the existing lights had switches in them for a reason, the new ones didn't, unfortunatly for my stress levels, something I wasn't aware of until I came to change the lights

So, me being the sparky, I was asked to "change the lights" on 1 weekend, in itself not a problem. The weekend in question came and on the friday night I go round as I did every week, to be met with an empty house with a note on the table saying she'd gone to her parents and the lights were on the bed. ****, Not only am I now expected to work, but I have to fend for myself, and no gratitude nookie!

Sat morning comes along and I turn off the power to the room, and take the old lights off, destroying them in the process, they had been glued to the wall!!!! Go to fit the new ones to the wall to discover, as previously mentioned they had no internal switches... Bugger, trip to the supply depot for more cable and switches.

All Saturday is spent chasing wires in by hand, wiring the new lights in, and replastering the wall. When I say Saturday, I mean it, all 15 f****** hours of it!!!

GF, then comes home and exclaims that a picture would now look great in the space between the lights. So I explain the wall is strong enough, and to use 2 hanging brackets to avoid the wires.

Fast forward 2 weeks, and I'm coming home from the gunclub and get a phone call from the GF asking her to pick her up. No problem here, until she gets in the car and looks sheepish. She explains she has already asked her friend, and his response was "welcome to dumpsville, population you"

Turns out she has put the picture up and only 1 used picture hook.... Can you guess where this is going yet?.........

Yup, drilled right through the f*ing cables and cut the live! Spent that night undoing all my hard work to repair the damaged wire so I could turn the power back on...... Not f'in happy and to cap it all, never did get my thank you ****!
Old 28 September 2011, 04:32 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

= dumped!

Unless she is really, really, really fit!
Old 28 September 2011, 04:48 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Saying thank you would be an admission of having screwed up in the first place!

Les
Old 28 September 2011, 05:40 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Oh mine doesn't do bad in the DIY stakes, if you don't count the time she held the hoover, not switched on

Or the time I asked he to just trip the power to one room, and she switched off the whole house so I had to reset everything

She is pretty messy too, preferring to make the mess, rather than avoid it. Then she cleans up after......usually.

But she is pretty good, helped me knock 16 holes in a stone wall, she did about 6 of them herself with a cold chisel and 2lb hammer. Not bad for a little lass.

The one thing she is absolutely fekkin BRILLIANT at with DIY: finding ME more jobs
Old 28 September 2011, 05:50 PM
Silver Angel
Scooby Regular

DIY Fail - I once went to put a shelf up , simple job didn't need hubby drilled a hole in wall straight through gas pipe in wall had to turn gas off, phone gas man out who then had to rip off my wallpaper and chisel my wall to replace damaged pipe had to explain all this to hubby when he came home from work - oops think I will leave DIY to hubby in future
Old 28 September 2011, 07:18 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

DIY in our place is a 3 part operation ...

1 Day --- tolerated.... but cleaning up constantly behind me whenever i stop

2 Days -- High stress and the how long will it take comments arrive

3 days --- She's crawling the walls, moaning how it would have been better to get someone in, regardless that it would A) cost twice as much, and B) potentially take the same time....or longer!!)

I had to ship her out to her mums when i did the new TV on the wall etc...

by day 5 she was threatening to come regardless, as she couldnt take the facdt that A) the DIY had taken 5 days, and she hadn't been able to have any input to it....ergo nagging lol

Mart
Old 28 September 2011, 07:45 PM
jeffmoses
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
DIY in our place is a 3 part operation ...

1 Day --- tolerated.... but cleaning up constantly behind me whenever i stop

2 Days -- High stress and the how long will it take comments arrive

3 days --- She's crawling the walls, moaning how it would have been better to get someone in, regardless that it would A) cost twice as much, and B) potentially take the same time....or longer!!)

I had to ship her out to her mums when i did the new TV on the wall etc...

by day 5 she was threatening to come regardless, as she couldnt take the facdt that A) the DIY had taken 5 days, and she hadn't been able to have any input to it....ergo nagging lol

Mart
5 days to put a TV up
Old 28 September 2011, 07:52 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
Inspired by Alcazr's thread, I thought I'd start this 1 and regail you all of an encounter I had with a personage of the fairer sex and their DIY abilities...........

Whilst working at my 2nd serious job since leaving Uni, the other half bought a house with the help of her parents, so she didn't have to move every 6 months whilst doing her PHd.

Being the dutifull boyfriend, I helped her move, paint and generally set up home to much gratitude it has to be said. However some time later she decides she wants to change the wall lights in the bed room, so goes out and buys said new lights..... Alas this is where the problems started as I was not consulted in the aforementioned purchase.. She just bought lights she liked, not thinking the existing lights had switches in them for a reason, the new ones didn't, unfortunatly for my stress levels, something I wasn't aware of until I came to change the lights

So, me being the sparky, I was asked to "change the lights" on 1 weekend, in itself not a problem. The weekend in question came and on the friday night I go round as I did every week, to be met with an empty house with a note on the table saying she'd gone to her parents and the lights were on the bed. ****, Not only am I now expected to work, but I have to fend for myself, and no gratitude nookie!

Sat morning comes along and I turn off the power to the room, and take the old lights off, destroying them in the process, they had been glued to the wall!!!! Go to fit the new ones to the wall to discover, as previously mentioned they had no internal switches... Bugger, trip to the supply depot for more cable and switches.

All Saturday is spent chasing wires in by hand, wiring the new lights in, and replastering the wall. When I say Saturday, I mean it, all 15 f****** hours of it!!!

GF, then comes home and exclaims that a picture would now look great in the space between the lights. So I explain the wall is strong enough, and to use 2 hanging brackets to avoid the wires.

Fast forward 2 weeks, and I'm coming home from the gunclub and get a phone call from the GF asking her to pick her up. No problem here, until she gets in the car and looks sheepish. She explains she has already asked her friend, and his response was "welcome to dumpsville, population you"

Turns out she has put the picture up and only 1 used picture hook.... Can you guess where this is going yet?.........

Yup, drilled right through the f*ing cables and cut the live! Spent that night undoing all my hard work to repair the damaged wire so I could turn the power back on...... Not f'in happy and to cap it all, never did get my thank you ****!
You need to be telling her the only DIY she should be doing is with an 8 inch rubber throbber while you watch .!!
Old 28 September 2011, 08:19 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Not quite DIY .............

I was in the car with my son & he gets a call from his ex girlfriend.
He starts giving her a long list of complicated instructions that sound sort of mechanical like she is trying to use some kind of complex machine.
As this goes on for some time my curiosity is aroused as I can't work out what he is trying to tell her what to do.

Turns out he is trying to tell her how to use a tin opener!!!!!!

This girl has just graduated from uni & is 22 years old & has never used one!

'
Old 28 September 2011, 08:37 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
Not quite DIY .............

I was in the car with my son & he gets a call from his ex girlfriend.
He starts giving her a long list of complicated instructions that sound sort of mechanical like she is trying to use some kind of complex machine.
As this goes on for some time my curiosity is aroused as I can't work out what he is trying to tell her what to do.

Turns out he is trying to tell her how to use a tin opener!!!!!!

This girl has just graduated from uni & is 22 years old & has never used one!

'
Thats cos Pot Noodles have a peel back lid !!
Old 28 September 2011, 08:41 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jeffmoses
5 days to put a TV up
Short version .....for her

Real job

Remove old tv & unit

Assemble new units x2

fit bracket to wall - hang old tv to confirm bracket ok

rebate old fireplace panel into wall

Fill and sand..

Paint wall completley to blend

Remove dummy TV / hang new TV

Cable tv to amp

Fit conduit to wall, fit cables to conduit

Paint conduit

Cable new speakers / amp / CD / DVD / xbox etc

confirm all works. reference levels etc

final fit everything

hoover and clean

5 days

Mart
Old 28 September 2011, 08:43 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have checked the wall lights before starting the job

I did the same thing, and bought some reduced (but nice) lights only to find they didn't have the pull cords on them like the ones already up. They are still sitting in their box.
Old 28 September 2011, 09:11 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

No Lisa, I made an even more fundimental mistake.... I'd assumed she'd listened to me!
Old 28 September 2011, 09:39 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woman....listen??

Seriously though, I would've been quite annoyed if I were you. Personally, I would have just got you to hang the picture to avoid any possible carnage.
Old 28 September 2011, 09:39 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon C
No Lisa, I made an even more fundimental mistake.... I'd assumed she'd listened to me!
Obviously not spent much time around wimmins, dude they never listen to blokes because they always know better
Old 29 September 2011, 12:00 AM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

Herself is great at asking me to do some DIY and then tells me how long it should take me to do it and sometimes she even tells me how to do it even though she has never done it before and I have

She is also good at reminding me that I haven't done something even though I have done 10 other things that day

windyboy
Old 29 September 2011, 08:26 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

what a cow!