Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Another baby car seat thread ;)

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2011, 05:36 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another baby car seat thread ;)

Sorry if it's been done to death but I'd like to harbour the advice of the parents on here. I've got a classic Wagon which has my sons current seat in it. The seat itself is a Graco one which came as part of his 3-1 buggy system. We use a simple adaptor that uses the belt so his seat is a simple quick release thing. Now supposedly it's a group 0-1 seat that goes to 13kg and is rear facing. But as some know Isaac is a big baby (just under 6 months and 21lbs) so it's getting cramped in there. I'm considering getting him a group 1-2 type seat for 9kg upwards and forward facing but they say 9months+

Is this for weight and size or back/neck strength? Isaac can sit up unaided and is only rarely wobbly do seems strong, has no issue holding his head up.

What have others done as we don't wanna buy a seat that's no good but he's squished in his current one. Is it ok to put my son in a forwards facing seat at 6 months or do I have to wait?

Advice appreciated as are suggestions on seats/brands.

Ta

Andy
Old 09 September 2011, 05:48 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

you have a pm
Old 09 September 2011, 05:56 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Replied
Old 09 September 2011, 06:40 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

It's based on age and weight.

If he exceeds the weight on his current one, then he needs the next one, if not leave him be. Tayla was a large baby, luckily we had a recaro young profi plus. We bought this as it is expandable in length, and knew it would last longer than Finleys.

It takes weight of up to 13kg and expands as you baby grows. Tayla was in hers until she was about 14/15 months.

http://www.kiddies-kingdom.com/image...ofi_Plus_2.jpg

Would you consider a seat that can be forward and rereard facing and reclines a little? He is still very young to be facing forward, also his irritability from not being able to sleep in the car will soon have you wishing his was layed back a bit.
Old 09 September 2011, 06:57 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
It's based on age and weight.

If he exceeds the weight on his current one, then he needs the next one, if not leave him be. Tayla was a large baby, luckily we had a recaro young profi plus. We bought this as it is expandable in length, and knew it would last longer than Finleys.

It takes weight of up to 13kg and expands as you baby grows. Tayla was in hers until she was about 14/15 months.

http://www.kiddies-kingdom.com/image...ofi_Plus_2.jpg

Would you consider a seat that can be forward and rereard facing and reclines a little? He is still very young to be facing forward, also his irritability from not being able to sleep in the car will soon have you wishing his was layed back a bit.
I thought he was quite young, just that he's really big and his little feet have nowhere to go. To be honest buying a rear/front facing seat wouldn't solve his lack of footroom issue, so may as well wait till he's 9 months and get a forward facing one?

Unless one of those rear/front ones goes upto a good weight, like 18kg or something? Any suggestions are welcome Kat
Old 09 September 2011, 07:03 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
I thought he was quite young, just that he's really big and his little feet have nowhere to go. To be honest buying a rear/front facing seat wouldn't solve his lack of footroom issue, so may as well wait till he's 9 months and get a forward facing one?

Unless one of those rear/front ones goes upto a good weight, like 18kg or something? Any suggestions are welcome Kat
Sadly the guidelines state that it's the neck support that is essential until 9 aprox months. Of course every baby develops differently, but sadly squashed legs are not an issue that is considered. Even of an accident occurs. A general room is that a rear facing seat us used until the head is protruding from the top of the seat, or until they reach the max weight limit. In the event of a crash of a young baby it's a toss up between maybe a broken leg, or a broken neck
One of the reasons we chose that one. There may be similar ones out now.
Old 09 September 2011, 07:11 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

http://www.babys-mart.co.uk/itemdetl...2-974ad2936ea5

That one is rather expensive, but this one is great. might be the sort of thong you are looking for.

http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/...roduct+Feed-_-
Old 09 September 2011, 07:15 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

http://www.babys-mart.co.uk/itemdetl...2-974ad2936ea5

That one is rather expensive, but this one is great. might be the sort of thong you are looking for.

http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/...roduct+Feed-_-
Yeah that second link may be a better option. Just wondering if it is better for him to be in a better quality seat as the Graco one isn't brilliant even though it's the correct group for him. Certainly don't mind paying around that figure but when seats approach £250+ it's, well bloody expensive

Maybe consider a 0-18kg but combi facing one?
Old 09 September 2011, 07:18 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Amazing really.... doesn't seem that long ago you were excited about getting the job at Corus and then you announced your good lady was expecting etc... and here you are talking about prams. Time sometime does pass us by really quickly.
Old 09 September 2011, 09:17 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Amazing really.... doesn't seem that long ago you were excited about getting the job at Corus and then you announced your good lady was expecting etc... and here you are talking about prams. Time sometime does pass us by really quickly.
It does when I'm not bleeting every little thing on here

I tend to keep certain issues private now, as you know

And I'm back in a council estate Ferrari too now - who'd have thunk
Old 09 September 2011, 09:28 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

6 months in already, cool -- you're really comming out of the tuff stuff now

gets better and better (next 6 months will see walking and talking) and you, as a dad, get miuch more involved too -- enjoy

no idea about car seats though -- amazing how you forget!!!
Old 09 September 2011, 09:34 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
6 months in already, cool -- you're really comming out of the tuff stuff now

gets better and better (next 6 months will see walking and talking) and you, as a dad, get miuch more involved too -- enjoy

no idea about car seats though -- amazing how you forget!!!
It does get so much better from now on!

You wait until you hear the words "da da, da da" then it's "no, no noooo"! Then before long you will be telling him to be quiet

When you get that car mat out, or a box full of brio things get fun!
Old 10 September 2011, 05:10 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Sadly the guidelines state that it's the neck support that is essential until 9 aprox months. Of course every baby develops differently, but sadly squashed legs are not an issue that is considered. Even of an accident occurs. A general room is that a rear facing seat us used until the head is protruding from the top of the seat, or until they reach the max weight limit. In the event of a crash of a young baby it's a toss up between maybe a broken leg, or a broken neck
One of the reasons we chose that one. There may be similar ones out now.
This is my understanding too!
Old 10 September 2011, 09:00 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

You have another scooby? Welldone that man!
Old 10 September 2011, 11:57 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Gear Head
I found this info far more important that baby seats!

How is it COB?

Looked at seats the other day in John Lewis' - no real reason and don't intend to fill one and they seem to be way more expensive than when we were in the market for one - 6 years ago I guess now for a 3+.

We had one that matched the colour of the MY00 seats in my impreza. Far more important than that there child safety nonsense. We look at Recaro but at the time they had a bad press. Sure we only paid about £50 for it from Halfrauds.
Old 10 September 2011, 02:51 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
why thankyou. Thread in general about it.

Originally Posted by EddScott
I found this info far more important that baby seats!

How is it COB?

Looked at seats the other day in John Lewis' - no real reason and don't intend to fill one and they seem to be way more expensive than when we were in the market for one - 6 years ago I guess now for a 3+.

We had one that matched the colour of the MY00 seats in my impreza. Far more important than that there child safety nonsense. We look at Recaro but at the time they had a bad press. Sure we only paid about £50 for it from Halfrauds.
Cars bob-on. Under £1400 it cost. Got me a wagon in like a champagne silver 792 I think. Looks lovely and is standard down to the exhaust too!
Old 10 September 2011, 07:00 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Both children large for their ages, both in forward facing seats from 7 months in recline position generally.

(Maxi-cosi Priorifix - best seats at the time)