Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone been to America in Sept and spent my £4500 in a chalet??

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2011, 05:33 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone been to America in Sept and spent my £4500 in a chalet??

Had a letter from Barclays Fraud Dept today, to URGENTLY give them a call.

After the usual security checks and standing order checks to varify them and me, went through a list of transactions made fraudulently. Majority were from a chalet on a holiday park in America, and some were to a cancer support charity ranging from £200 to £890.

So cards been comprimised so they have put back the vast majority, just got to go through my statement and dispute anything they haven`t picked up.

Best thing is I use Paypal online, so won`t be from there (will send Paypal an email now). I ONLY use my card for Fuel (Tescos), or Garages (Shell etc), and instore in Tesco. So my guess is that its a certain Shell garage as I rarely withdraw cash but if I do its from Tesco, and if I go out I take cash (very rare).

Anyhoo, take care with your bank statements and look through them for ANYTHING untoward.
Old 09 September 2011, 05:37 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm suprised Barclaycard even paid these bills? as I have made payments to people thru ebay and within two minutes of making the payment I have recieved a phone call from the Barclaycard fraud team saying a fraudulent transaction was made. They normally don't make the payment till you have cleared it.
Old 09 September 2011, 05:40 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
I'm suprised Barclaycard even paid these bills? as I have made payments to people thru ebay and within two minutes of making the payment I have recieved a phone call from the Barclaycard fraud team saying a fraudulent transaction was made. They normally don't make the payment till you have cleared it.
Wasn`t Barclaycard was Barclays, as it was my Debit card yet again.
And to be fair its only been 3-4 days.

Last edited by Jimbob; 09 September 2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09 September 2011, 08:50 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I was impressed with Barclays a couple of years ago when they stopped my card. Initially I was annoyed as a transaction was refused. When I contacted them I discovered 5 attempts had been made to buy £10 mobile top ups using my card number. Barclays were able to tell me this was identified as "unusual" spending and suspended my card. All funds refunded and new card couriered for next day delivery
Old 09 September 2011, 08:56 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Abbey have been really good at this with us too. We tried to pay £1000 while in america and as the transaction was going through they called us.. We confirmed we were there and getting married so they allowed it
Old 09 September 2011, 09:44 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Barclays security are quite good, but they can go wrong. We had just sold a house, new house wasn't going to be ready for 4 weeks so we put all our stuff in storage and went on holiday. The solicitor said he couldn't hold the proceeds from the sale for 4 weeks, so transferred it to our current account. In the intervening 4 weeks I booked flights with Continental from Belfast to Newark. About 2 minutes after I hit the submit button, Barclays called to find out if it was actually me making the purchase. While they were on the phone, Continental website came back to say that the payment had not been authorised and I should contact my bank. Told the Barclays girl this and she said that she could set up the security to accept the next Continental request automatically. Didn't want to do another online booking in case they both went through, so called Continental. I guess Americans don't hear too many Larne accents, as she ended up booking me 400 seats at £400.00 quid a pop. She did mention something about needing to make sure they could arrange suitable seating before the booking was confirmed. Was at the cash machine next day and got a balance statement, just so I could look at how much cash I had. When I noticed that it was £158,400.00 short I nearly **** my trousers, had several types of heat attack and at least 4 strokes at the same time. Couldn't even hold a phone or press the buttons to call Barclays. Fortunately Continental called me about half an hour later to say they couldn't accommodate all 400 of us on one flight, so we could cancel for a full refund or split the booking over several days. Eventually got the 4 seats sorted, and called Barclays to check everything was now in order. "Ah yes..... we did flag that transaction but you had given us specific instructions to accept the next request from Continental"
Old 09 September 2011, 09:57 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

£158,400.00 is a pretty impressive overdraft to show...... Ferrari 458?
Old 09 September 2011, 11:18 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

My daughter took a trip to South America. I told her not to carry much cash around and to use her Barclaycard. She phoned B/C to tell them about the trip so there wouldn't be questions about using her card over there.

One night she phoned me in tears, broke and hungry in a strange town and machine had declined to allow a small cash withdrawal which left her completely stranded. I phoned B/C but of course I was given the usual client confidentiality brush off but suggested that my daughter phone their international help line. She tried but a bad line and being held in queue and her phone went dead.

No help or sympathy whatsoever and not an inkling of an apology. I hate the b,astards.

dl
Old 10 September 2011, 12:12 AM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

"...and some were to a cancer support charity ranging from £200 to £890..."

honorable thiefs then - was it a garage in Nottingham !!
Old 10 September 2011, 11:37 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
£158,400.00 is a pretty impressive overdraft to show...... Ferrari 458?

It was basically all the proceeds from the house sale. If I could get an overdraft like that I might consider a 458, or 16000 cases of beer