Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Which Phone and Which Service Provider???

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2011, 05:48 PM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Phone and Which Service Provider???

My contract with Vodafone is up for renewal soon. I've been with them for 14 years and think there 3G coverage is very poor and im sure im not getting the best service I should be.
Im paying around £45 a month for 1200 free minutes, Unlimited texts and 1024MB data download.

I have only ever had the 1 iphone 32g 3GS. I wouldn't say its the best there is as battery life is very very poor, the camera has a very low pixle count, it has no front camera, you cant bluetooth pics, videos etc to other phones only Iphones. You are unable to rename your bluetooth devices that you have saved on your phone that you pair your phone too. I have 7 hand free kits I use and have to go though the list every time to find the one that works.

I do like the large tough screen. Im not a fan of these phones with tiny buttons you have to try and press as I end up pressing 3 at once. I like Apples app store and the app in it but that's it really.

Can any of you suggest a service provider that is better than Vodafone and any phone that are better than the iphone.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07 September 2011, 06:41 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

carphonewarehouse dude.

they'll get you what you want, based on how you use and you'll get a freebie, like a LCD TV or a PS3/XBOX or Playbook plus a phone of course

Mines due in November, im going for a galaxy or blackberry and a playbook
Old 07 September 2011, 06:43 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Keep the phone and go GiffGaff.... more minutes / web than any other provider ...and its a rolling month sim deal.

Cals to other networks are redikulously cheap

https://giffgaff.com/orders/unlimite..._term=giffgaff

4p to other networks!!!! thats when your out of your freeminutes lol

giffgaff to giffgaff is freeeeeeeeee

Mart
Old 07 September 2011, 07:06 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Keep the phone and go GiffGaff.... more minutes / web than any other provider ...and its a rolling month sim deal.

Mart
i bet their coverage is ****e
Old 07 September 2011, 07:14 PM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360

Mart
I've never heard of them. What's there coverage like. ESP 3G?
Old 07 September 2011, 09:01 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Many years ago it was always Vodafone and Motorola if you wanted the best of both. I've been with Vodafone since 1984 and stayed with Motorola as long as I could but eventually the smartphones took over.

I shall wait to see what Google do with Motorola and might well return.

As for best deals with airtime providers then the only way is to talk to retentions with any of them. Buying online doesn't come close to sweet talking some girl on the phone.

As an example, (though I know you might need more minutes), your 14 years will see yourself getting 600minutes, 1GB of internet, unlimited texts, free 0800,0845,0870 numbers, 100 free MMS, 100 Minutes video calling, Vodafone to Vodafone calls free and all for £10/Month (sim only), if you tell/ask nicely.

If your 3G is poor where you are then the above won't apply if you're out to get the very best deal elsewhere, as you're going to be a new customer.

That said, I have no 3G here and just about get Edge but have absolutely no problems with my phone working well. It is also better than it is on WIFI.

Last edited by Spoon; 07 September 2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07 September 2011, 09:03 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Hold on for the iPhone 5.
Old 07 September 2011, 09:08 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TurboAndy
I've never heard of them. What's there coverage like. ESP 3G?
They use the 02 network

Mart
Old 07 September 2011, 10:13 PM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Hold on for the iPhone 5.
What spec is the iPhone 5 going to be?
Old 07 September 2011, 10:24 PM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Giffgaff is a subsidiary of O2 and uses their network so coverage is very good.

They keep the prices low by using a community based solution for sales, customer service, tech support, etc.

They have some very good PAYG deals with inclusive calls, texts & unlimited data for only £10 per month. However support for some iPhone & Blackberry type push services is currently limited but this will be fixed in the next few months.

The website has info on how to unlock your phone (not necessary for O2 phones) and how to configure for their network.

If anyone wants a free SIM and an extra £5 credit you can use the following link:

http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/dark555

Cheers, Mark
Old 08 September 2011, 06:50 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

I'd say it's a safe bet that the iphone5 will set the benchmark again and other manufacturers will one again play catch up.
Old 08 September 2011, 07:36 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

No one really knows the spec apart from Apple, I have a feeling it won't be the all singing, all dancing phone people will expect. Apple won't want to ruin the form factor just to win the specs game. And as Apple are the only ones to use iOS the specs are not as important anyway, if you like iOS then your only choice of phone is an iPhone. If you prefer Android, then there are loads of different manufacturers and models, so people look at specs more. The new iPhone will just have to run iOS5 slick and allow developers more freedom with what they can create, app wise.
Old 08 September 2011, 07:53 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

It could contain new hardware. Gyroscopes in phones were unknown before the iPhone.
Old 08 September 2011, 07:54 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Another vote for giff gaff. Tender a month gets me 250 minutes a month, unlimited texts and unlimited internet. I used 2 gig last month that would have cost a bomb on Orange.
Old 08 September 2011, 12:19 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

You shouldn't fall for the hype Tony. i thought you were some sort of industry expert who'd know better.
Old 08 September 2011, 01:30 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JackClark
You shouldn't fall for the hype Tony. i thought you were some sort of industry expert who'd know better.
Guess what Jack, its actually true! believe it or not apple cant do good phone software its not hype, its just showing you apple are not infallable
Shame they never fixed it after the 3G, same crap software on the 3gs and 4, no doubt the 5 will suffer the same issues, probably why most of the people I know are swapping from the iphone to HTC or similar now....

Tony
Old 08 September 2011, 10:30 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Iphones are good, it's the type of people who buy them and worship Steve Jobs that means I'll steer clear.

If I didn't need Vodafone for coverage I'd use my giffgaff sim in my Galaxy S2.
Old 09 September 2011, 08:42 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

< snip >

iPhone dross deleted.

Its been done a gazillion times over. Move on please.
Old 09 September 2011, 08:44 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ALi-B
< snip >

iPhone dross deleted.

Its been done a gazillion times over. Move on please.

Ouch! That hurt, I was just enjoying it with a bucket of popcorn.
Old 09 September 2011, 08:53 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
I'd say it's a safe bet that the iphone5 will set the benchmark again and other manufacturers will one again play catch up.
nearly everybody iv spoken to owning an iphone4 reckons your wrong and that they wont bother updating
Old 09 September 2011, 09:13 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dpb
nearly everybody iv spoken to owning an iphone4 reckons your wrong and that they wont bother updating
They'll be really disappointed.

In front of me right now I have a Nokia N8, a Galaxy 2 and an iPhone.

The Nokia is just plain wrong, great hardware, terrible software, unbelievably some people think it's better than the iPhone.

The Samsung is massive! But nice, other than the fragmented and incredibly prone to Malicious software operating system which needs a tech support department.

The iPhone just works.
Old 09 September 2011, 09:34 AM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

I don't want to cause a war here but.....

I don't think the iPhone, at least the 3gS is all it's cracked up to be.
I'm not an avid fan of it and think there is maybe better out there.

What I want to know is what you think is best and why?

Thanks for all your input on this.

Andy.
Old 09 September 2011, 09:43 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by gpssti4
Ouch! That hurt, I was just enjoying it with a bucket of popcorn.

I'm surprised he didn't nick the popcorn as well to be honest

(Oh, and I'm loving my new HTC Sensation, it just is... a sensation that is.)
Old 09 September 2011, 09:46 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the iphone 4 is better than the 3gs, i charge it once to every 3 times v the 3gs, they have improved the battery and the camera is better, its just that alot of smart phones go all out on the smart bit but not the phone bit which is the basic function.

Also Jack has been right in the past about android (going back a few threads here), the biggest downside to android phones is the lack of security/scrutiny of its applications, they really need to follow in apples footsteps and set up a secure download where these have been checked for viruses, but it then also points to what you want from the handset?
Are you after the apps or are you after the more basic text and call? as this will point out the sort of phone you really need for your everyday life

Tony
Old 09 September 2011, 09:56 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Im on giffgaff, and as said it 02 based, I think the community on their website is 2nd to none, I have posted a few questions that I wanting answering prior to going with them, and within 5 mins I had 10 replies!!!! I have since posted some questions such as Roaming abroad and again they have replied very quickly. I pay £10 per month for my "goodie" bag which offers me 250min, unlimited texts and internet. I dont need many minutes as I have another works phone with free minutes, but thier other goodies bags for more minutes are very reasonably priced too. I transfered my number (the one below) within 48hours and I find coverage spot on. I wanted another phone as my Nokia felt outdated, and bought a Acer Liquid Metal which is an android phone, but I have to be honest after using a 3GS, im very impressed. They are going to be releasing a 2.3 firmware soon which will help with the processor, but in genearal, I paid £150 for the phone (RRP £300) and now pay £10 per month for the giffgaff and kept my number, im well pleased. Roaming is the only downside as its not cheap, but which networks are!!!! Rob
Old 09 September 2011, 10:14 AM
rogos
Scooby Regular

I bought a sony ericsson xperia x8 (Android) on o2 pay&go £120, top up £10 month and get 300 free txts, 500mb internet allowance but pay for calls. I have manually flashed the phone with Android 2.3.5 operating software (very fast), and its perfect i only ever use the phone for texting or internet so suits me fine.
Old 09 September 2011, 10:47 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

samsung galaxy s2
Old 09 September 2011, 11:28 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Nokia 3210!
Old 09 September 2011, 12:11 PM
beefoss
Scooby Regular

I have recently gone from the iphone 16Gb 3GS which I've had a couple and loved everything about it, itunes is very easy and seems to have everything you need. Problem is that I never looked at other phones as it became a guaranteed reaction to get another one..........
I was thinking of waiting for the Iphone 5 but there was nowhere on the net that Apple has commented on any of the rumours????
They are updating their software to IOS 5 so that is where people might get confused.
Anyway after spending an hour or so in the shop I have been brainwashed by Apple and now I've changed to Android and gone for the LG Optimus 3D. If your a Gadget person like myself then this is the best phone on the market! I wasn't too sure how good the quality of the screen and 3D resolution would be so the Advisor got one out the box. WOW. The 3D demo video's were scarily amazing and almost had me air grabbing things that wern't there. The Video is sharp and clear and not massively jerky, 2D is even better camera and video wise, flash is spot on and Android system works with no quibbles and very user friendly.
I can't recommend networks as it depends on the area, try asking people on different networks to stand in the rooms you usually work in to see if they get reception is my best advice.
It works out approximately the same price as an Iphone 4, and if your so keen on itunes then there are loopholes but you'll have to search tinterweb to find ways of getting it on there (nudge nudge wink wink)

This is purely my opinion and No, I'm in no way shape of form a salesman or even in that line of work.
I might just add that taking pics of the missus neked in 3D will have you beating yourself to death on a regular occasion haha.
Hope this helps
Keith.