Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tenants

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2011, 04:43 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Tenants

Had tenants in our house in Nottingham for 5 years. Had the call from the letting agency today that they have done a runner They owe 3 months rent as well. Went over to the house this afternoon and the place stinks!!!! There is rubbish all over the place in both the gardens and side space. The garage door is broken. There is a HUGE Wasps nest in the Virginia Creeper up the side wall which scares me silly. The electricity has been cut off as has the gas. The whole house needs gutting and starting again really. Seriously not impressed!
Old 19 August 2011, 04:46 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Having not let out a property, this might be a daft question, but how can they owe 3 months rent?

Surely the first month they miss alarm bells start ringing and you do whatever you need to to get payments made?
Old 19 August 2011, 04:49 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

lha tenants by any chance?
Old 19 August 2011, 04:49 PM
longone1981
Scooby Regular

sad to hear this mate i have never had a problem with mine touch wood
Old 19 August 2011, 04:52 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

They have never defaulted before. 1st time we were assured they would pay double the next month so we went with that. Second month came and went, 3rd month though it time to do something about it. That's when they did the runner. Can assume that they were in big trouble as they had 3 children who were all crying out on the street Monday evening. Said to the neighbours that they were off to Cadbury World on Wednesday, Left at 7am never to be seen again. Keys arrived this morning
Old 19 August 2011, 04:52 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by foxarm
lha tenants by any chance?
Private.
Old 19 August 2011, 04:59 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn usually lha tenants that blow their housing benefit money, smash the place up and do a runner.
Will the letting agency reimburse any money to you? They should have made regular visits also to ensure the property was all in order.
Old 19 August 2011, 05:04 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

That's very bad luck indeed. But at least you had 5 years rent (nearly) out of them. Unfurnished I hope so your furniture isn't ruined?

Can't blame them for the wasps and a skip and a couple of labourers for a couple of days with all windows and doors wide open will make a big difference.

dl
Old 19 August 2011, 05:13 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

They have left most of their furniture in there. Only the crap stuff though as they had to sell all their nice stuff according to the neighbour. Left TV's as well. They were seen taking all the bills made to them back to the post office with "No longer at this address" written on them by the neighbours grand-daughter.
It's their children I feel sorry for as they have been forced by their parents to leave their home which 2 of them were born in.
Old 19 August 2011, 05:21 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Did you have landlord protection insurance? Also did you have landlord building insurance with malicious cover? All your losses/damage should be covered if you did. I would be having words with your letting agent because they should have been more proactive. If you don't get satisfactory replies then its time to find new agent.

I have had to evict my last tenant, due to non payment. It hasn't cost me a penny, fully insured for loss of rent and damage, which was minimal. Also I have the parents as guarantors, so will be chasing them for the excess

Last edited by andy97; 19 August 2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 19 August 2011, 05:25 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

WTF were the letting agency doing? This is their problem as isn't this what you pay them to avoid.... i.e. hassle!!! Why did they let them get 3 months in arrears??
Old 19 August 2011, 05:30 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Old 19 August 2011, 05:36 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

We do have full management with the letting agency (Castle Estates) So, should be covered for the loss of rent etc. Have phoned the insurance company to see where we stand regarding damage etc. "Still" waiting for them to phone back though
We were just saying the other night how pleased we were having them in for all this time as they have never previously caused us any trouble. Oh to speak too soon........................
Old 19 August 2011, 05:40 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Its frustrating to think that some people give other people no consideration whatsoever, karma is a funny thing - here's hoping!
Old 19 August 2011, 05:46 PM
ChrisB

I needed a skip to remove all the crap left by last tenants - even kid's toys were left in the garden. They hadn't wrecked the place, just not looked after it. Danger of the game I guess.
Old 19 August 2011, 05:46 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Frosticles
We do have full management with the letting agency (Castle Estates) So, should be covered for the loss of rent etc. Have phoned the insurance company to see where we stand regarding damage etc. "Still" waiting for them to phone back though
We were just saying the other night how pleased we were having them in for all this time as they have never previously caused us any trouble. Oh to speak too soon........................
It's happening more and more. Got a mate in the same boat, they have upped and gone and decided to trash the place as a leaving present. Stupid thing is he is pretty sure he knows enough about them to find them.
Old 19 August 2011, 05:50 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Had a rental property for 5 years now and have been very lucky so far with 2 tenants both who have been superb. We manage it ourselves and visit every 2 months.

Chip
Old 19 August 2011, 05:51 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Think I will be hiring a big van next week. Don some heavy duty gloves and a full spray mask and a pinny!!! Just basically get on with it as we can't really afford for it to be vacant for long. New rules to be set out to the agency though stipulating that they have to take as much care in the outside presentation and upkeep as they would the inside. The street the house is in is lovely and full of house proud owners. Ours looks like Beirut
Old 19 August 2011, 05:59 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

The street the house is in is lovely and full of house proud owners. Ours looks like Beirut
You should be ashamed...

The ******* next door to us have a gazebo in the back garden as they aren't allowed to smoke in the house, and I hate the stench, so can't have any windows open... as they never seem to go anywhere, just sit and smoke constantly.

I wonder how many hundreds a week it's costing us ?

dunx
Old 19 August 2011, 06:01 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

You should periodically do a quick drive by, gives you an insight. Tidy ouside, tidy inside
Old 19 August 2011, 06:11 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

happens the other way around too, i had a bugger of a landlord, who was in newcastle (im in essex)
never visited, never really got any thing repaired off him etc
eventually the bank took the property and i got booted out :|
spent days making the place spotless as it was brand new when i moved in and wanted to leave it the same way to find out the MA never stuck my deposit into a scheme
goodbye £1040 and also they didnt have an idea of what state the property was in when i moved in so couldnt really care if it was clean.... (not like it would have affected the disappeared deposit)

chased up various companies, the original one went under and none of the others wanted anything to do with it, the landlord also did a disappearing act making sure any paperwork didnt have his name on it (had the original MA's name etc)
Its taken me a year but ive managed to find them via someone else and get a grand back :/ what a fecking pain tho! could of gone for the full 4x the amount for not sticking the deposit into a scheme but im not particulary greedy just wanted my own money back

*and breath*

hope you get some decent non-debt stricken tennants next time btw!
Old 19 August 2011, 06:24 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
You should be ashamed...

The ******* next door to us have a gazebo in the back garden as they aren't allowed to smoke in the house, and I hate the stench, so can't have any windows open... as they never seem to go anywhere, just sit and smoke constantly.

I wonder how many hundreds a week it's costing us ?

dunx
We had a strict no smoking policy which they duly ignored from day one Only put up with it cause they were happy. Never again. House just stinks of **** now so all the carpets will need ripping up as well as total decoration.
This has come at a really bad time for us as we are not what you would call flush at the moment
Old 19 August 2011, 08:30 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

We had a strict no smoking policy which they duly ignored from day one Only put up with it cause they were happy. Never again. House just stinks of **** now so all the carpets will need ripping up as well as total decoration.
This has come at a really bad time for us as we are not what you would call flush at the moment
Slightly different cos we do short term holiday lets but if it is detected that someone has been smoking in the house, they lose their entire security deposit and also get a bill for extra cleaning (up to £100)

I guess you could add terms along those lines for long term let?
Old 19 August 2011, 11:35 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
Did you have landlord protection insurance? Also did you have landlord building insurance with malicious cover?
I have had to evict my last tenant, due to non payment. It hasn't cost me a penny, fully insured for loss of rent and damage, ...
You get free insurance
Old 19 August 2011, 11:46 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

It's a funny old game. I moved my daughter out of a flat in Tooting (London) yesterday which she had rented for a couple of years to a flat in Bristol.

I hadn't see the Tooting flat before but it was almost unfit to live in. Peeling wall paper, damp and mould, leaking pipes and generally s,hit. I had heard that the landlord was a pig and he is now arguing about return of deposit despite my gal and her mates doing their level best to look after it.

Apparently the landlord turned up just after I had left to hit the M4 in the monsoon and it's a good job I missed him really.

The good news is that the Bristol flat is terrific and being in Clifton area a fun place to live. dl
Old 20 August 2011, 10:27 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
You get free insurance
No, but a few hundred quid is well worth it, given its taken me 10 months to evict said tenants. That would of been several thousand pounds lost in rental plus 1-2k in solicitors fees, all for a small premium and totally recoverable

Besides insurance is a deductible expense

For those who are renting out a property and try do it on the cheap, you will at some point, get bitten!

Andy

Last edited by andy97; 20 August 2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 20 August 2011, 11:10 AM
v6wrx
Scooby Regular

Most good letting companys will inspect the property every few months and you give you a report, its worth getting it done.
Old 20 August 2011, 11:48 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Doesn't say much for anyone who has so little respect for someone else's property like that.

Les
Old 20 August 2011, 12:22 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

If I rented a property I would make it my duty to personally check it once every 3 months minimum.

Next door is a private rented house and the couple that have moved in smoke and have a dog - both no no's but I'm saying nothing.

It's up to the landlord....