Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone stayed at Alton Towers?

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2011, 02:21 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Anyone stayed at Alton Towers?

Thinking of spending a couple of days at Alton Towers during the summer holidays. The wifes folks live close-ish and thought it might be nice to stay in one of the theme rooms.

Just been on the site and for 2 days plus tickets it's like £500 for the 3 of us end of August.

Is it worth it? Also, how do you choose the theme room.

I ask is it worth it because for the same if not less we could go stay at my mothers in Spain. She's had it for a few years and I've yet to go (not fussed about holidays and suchlike, we live close to the seaside anyway and I'm not a good flyer)
Old 04 July 2011, 02:40 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's not that constructive, but, Alton Towers <<>> Spain

It's not even a thought I would consider, Spain every single time.
Old 04 July 2011, 03:25 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If you don't like flying - do a road trip

You might want to leave the kids somewhere if you do though... Alton Towers?
Old 04 July 2011, 03:28 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

We stayed there last year, but it was a special offer we found somewhere, £250 and was 2 days park passes for a family of four and one on nights B&B at Splash Landings Hotel.

You get early access to the park for that, so you can go on the rides before the great unwashed get access.

We had a great time, but in August, it's going to be absolutely packed, and I doubt you will get any good deals. On top of that, if you want to go on more than 3 rides, you'll need to buy fast passes, and they ain't cheap.

Your other alternative is to go up the single rider queues. You cannot ride together though, as the name suggests, so if you have a kids that may not be practical. I'm not sure if they offer the parent queue jumping service at Alton (that's where you queue up one parent at a time and then the other one is let through immediately to avoid the kid sitting for hours).

The Alton Towers water park in the Splash Landings hotel is superb though. Really geared up toward having a laugh. Has a great water slide where you actually go uphill. Unlimited access to that for residents too. And indoors, so weather proof!

If you can, go to Alton Towers off peak, go to Spain in August.

Geezer
Old 04 July 2011, 03:54 PM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

There's a nice Premier Inn at Uttoxeter and save yourself hundreds!
Old 04 July 2011, 04:00 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've stayed there and to be honest it was expensive and crap .. waste of money.

More than a day in the part IMO is a waste, we got bored half way through the second day and left. Theres only so much queuing you can stand and even getting in early, we went on all the big rides about 4 times each .. they lose the excitment then ..
Old 04 July 2011, 04:35 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JPL
I know it's not that constructive, but, Alton Towers <<>> Spain

It's not even a thought I would consider, Spain every single time.
Old 04 July 2011, 05:19 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
we went on all the big rides about 4 times each .. they lose the excitment then ..
Really - so how long do you get in the morning then? Aren't there lots of rollercoasters?

I'll go on coasters all day but the wife will do one or two before vomming and the nipper is only just able to pass the height bar so a bit of a novice.

Also think going off season might be a better idea. Although Spain in August might be a bit warm. My bro lives in Gibraltar and I think August can be tough for foreigners.

If I'm honest we've no need to venture out of our fair shire anyway. The beaches are one way and the amusement parks are the other. Folly Farm, Manor Park, Blue Lagoon and Oakwood. Only Oakwood has coasters which are OK but not great.

If I suggest something local I'll be accused of being a tight git!
Old 04 July 2011, 10:37 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EddScott
Really - so how long do you get in the morning then? Aren't there lots of rollercoasters?

I'll go on coasters all day but the wife will do one or two before vomming and the nipper is only just able to pass the height bar so a bit of a novice.

Also think going off season might be a better idea. Although Spain in August might be a bit warm. My bro lives in Gibraltar and I think August can be tough for foreigners.

If I'm honest we've no need to venture out of our fair shire anyway. The beaches are one way and the amusement parks are the other. Folly Farm, Manor Park, Blue Lagoon and Oakwood. Only Oakwood has coasters which are OK but not great.

If I suggest something local I'll be accused of being a tight git!
We got in at about 9:10, giving us 50 minutes, with no queues at all, you come in near Nemesis .. if memory serves .. its the "woodland" trail between the hotel and the park .. with "entertainers" pissing about around you as you walk ...

When I stayed we had air, oblivion, nemesis, cork screw and rita ..

Last edited by pimmo2000; 04 July 2011 at 10:38 PM.