Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Vinyl to MP3?

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2011, 04:44 PM
idf101
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Vinyl to MP3?

I have just got a turntable that you can convert vinyl to mp3 using a program called "Audacity", everything seems is ok but when you play back the download the sound quality is awful it is connected via a USB but i have not connected the RCA cables to the PC in line socket, do i need to do this? if so where can i get an adaptor as the RCA cables are wired in to the turntable.
I realise i am thick!! but i have no knowlege on this.

Cheers
Old 02 July 2011, 05:05 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by idf101
I have just got a turntable that you can convert vinyl to mp3 using a program called "Audacity", everything seems is ok but when you play back the download the sound quality is awful it is connected via a USB but i have not connected the RCA cables to the PC in line socket, do i need to do this? if so where can i get an adaptor as the RCA cables are wired in to the turntable.

Cheers

See your problem. What you need if I remember correctly is a female phono phono-jack input. I use a male-male phono to jack input when recording mixes off my CDJ's upstairs.

Once you have this adapter (eBay) then you can pop it into the 'line-in' and adjust the gains on Audacity (the one you need to watch is the mic one).

HTH

Andy

P.S. Once you've recorded your vinyl onto Audacity you can export certain sections as either .wav or .mp3 format (.wav being superior sound quality). Make sure you go into preference and set the bit rate to 320kbps
Old 02 July 2011, 05:09 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Just to add, if I'm understanding your dilemma right, you need one of these to plug into your male RCA's and input it into 'line-in' as a jack input

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-Jack...item4155f4b23e
Old 03 July 2011, 12:11 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Is it is a turntable with phono outputs? If so, you may need a phono preamp.

As without one, you may not have the correct equalisation circuitry for the line-in jacks. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization)

As such bass will be very thin and too much treble; Its the same as plugging a turntable into the tape or CD input on a amplifier; it works, but sounds crap.

(edit; unless the recoding software can do RIAA equalisation instead).

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 July 2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04 July 2011, 01:30 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I used Audacity and just plugged my tape deck and phono into the back of the pc with standard red and white phono cables and it worked a treat. I'm sure the audacity web site has examples of this.
Old 04 July 2011, 03:01 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Is it is a turntable with phono outputs? If so, you may need a phono preamp.

As without one, you may not have the correct equalisation circuitry for the line-in jacks. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization)

As such bass will be very thin and too much treble; Its the same as plugging a turntable into the tape or CD input on a amplifier; it works, but sounds crap.

(edit; unless the recoding software can do RIAA equalisation instead).
I was just thinking that

Thing is though why go to the effort, unless we are talking some particularly rare vinyl here then why not just download the corresponding MP3 file from the Internet (and you could probably justify doing this "illegally" as you do own the originals). Even if you have to pay for them it's got to be worth it to save your time and you get a better quality copy to boot.

Unless you've got a Linn Sondek, a good qulaity phono stage and a really top notch sound card any downloaded MP3 ripped from a CD or mastered from the original source is always going to sound better.
Old 04 July 2011, 04:17 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

I did borrow one of these to have a play, if everything is set up right then you only need to use the USB connection and the sound should be acceptable. Sound will never be great but for some rare vinyl that isn't available digitally then it does the trick.

I used a Mac and I'm pretty sure I had to download some stuff to make it all work but I needed no extra cables. PC is probably going to be the same. Google will be your friend here.
Old 04 July 2011, 04:27 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by idf101

Cheers
Is there definately no digital version available for download?
Save you the hassle then.
Old 04 July 2011, 05:51 PM
idf101
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys, i take the point about downloading off tinternet but i have masses of 12" records (Remember them!) which i will struggle to find.
I am getting the adapter of e-bay as suggested thanks Andy so i will give that a go.