Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2011, 07:31 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile phones- plateau reached?

Just been looking around the manufacturers for upcoming mobiles,

doesn't seem to be a lot of "new" stuff around ,

All i can see is a huge range of smartphones, which give or take OS / camera specs makes them all very samey

Is this a natural part of development, going from candybar type phones to smartphones?

Other than changing manufacturer, it doesn't look like I'm going to get anything radically new next time around ....

Mart
Old 18 June 2011, 07:34 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Wait for the iPhone 57 that's coming out in 2038, I will be a half decent phone by then

Last edited by what would scooby do; 18 June 2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 18 June 2011, 08:53 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

mobile telephones,internet,facebook,ipads.Hopefully everyone will get bored of all the rubbish that it all is and get back to real life and go out and get some fresh air.

Says he typing this inside
Old 18 June 2011, 09:14 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

No they are all waiting for the game changing iPhone5 ... as after all they all copy Apple anyway according to their disciples.
Old 18 June 2011, 09:17 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

until they makes one that can be used as a teleporter, so you can move instantly to any part of the world, things will inevitably stagnate

presumably this feature will be in the Iphone 5
Old 18 June 2011, 09:20 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just wait till the phones that last months on a single charge come out. Not exactly 'game changing' in any other respect, but so much more convenient. Don't think they're far away now.
Old 18 June 2011, 09:35 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

F1 Fan is right, most manufacturers can now match the iPhone on hardware specs, they'll be waiting for the next iPhone before planning their next releases.

If you want to see a differentiator you need to look at software, iOS5 has many features that the others will be trying to assimilate. Microsoft will also make Google sit up and pay attention.
Old 18 June 2011, 09:46 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Reliability would be nice. That is what I want from my next phone. None of the phones I have had in the last 10 years have worked flawlessly over the period of their contract.

It would be nice for development in this area to start to stagnate, then manufacturers can spend more time on getting the products to last longer. Although of course that is not really in their interest....
Old 18 June 2011, 10:27 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
F1 Fan is right, most manufacturers can now match the iPhone on hardware specs, they'll be waiting for the next iPhone before planning their next releases.

If you want to see a differentiator you need to look at software, iOS5 has many features that the others will be trying to assimilate. Microsoft will also make Google sit up and pay attention.
LOL at the fact you thought my post was serious.
Old 18 June 2011, 11:02 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

LOL at the fact that you thought I'd mention your name and not be taking the ****.
Old 18 June 2011, 11:18 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Just wait till the phones that last months on a single charge come out. Not exactly 'game changing' in any other respect, but so much more convenient. Don't think they're far away now.
Yes, this. As phones are now so useful for almost everything the battery seems to drain in no time. I have noticed 'smartphone fever' where people frantically search for a point to charge their phone all time. This should be coupled with wireless charging.

As for functionality we are now at a point where they do most things. Tighter integration to other devices, payments (which are already here) and ... Erm... I can't think of anything else!
Old 18 June 2011, 11:22 AM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
until they makes one that can be used as a teleporter, so you can move instantly to any part of the world, things will inevitably stagnate

presumably this feature will be in the Iphone 5
I understand it will be, although you are still likely to have battery failure or sudden signal drop during the process resulting in a very high probability that bits of you wont arrive at your destination.

Still expect to see hundreds queuing on launch day to try it out though

Gareth
Old 18 June 2011, 11:30 AM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

As more and more people start to use tablets, I'd rather see a return to a high quality small phone that does what a phone is supposed to do well, rather than trying to do everything.

How many Apple fans who now carry an iPhone and iPad still use the iPhone for web-browsing ? assuming they have the 3G version of the iPad. Great for checking emails though.

I have an iPhone, and while its convenient to occasionally check info on the web on it, its far easier on the Powerbook with a 3G dongle.