Dignitas/Terry Pratchett

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2011, 09:47 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Dignitas/Terry Pratchett

Cor blimey

Just can't get my head around it.Saying goodbye to all your loved ones then having your last drink

I know there are some very very sad scenarios but ...well,as I say,can't get my head round it
Old 13 June 2011, 09:51 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Link:- http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011...ide-euthanasia
Old 13 June 2011, 09:51 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah head says I can understand, gut is churning and can`t stand it!!
Old 13 June 2011, 09:57 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

I wasn`t expecting them to show everything thats for sure!!
Very surreal.
Old 13 June 2011, 09:58 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

He added that his wife, who chose not to appear in the film, did not want him to take his own life but that if he did choose to die he would prefer to do so in England and in the sunshine.

I can see why hes taken an awayday, i think id the carribbean everytime tho

nice Normandy fireplace
Old 13 June 2011, 10:10 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Shocking thing really. Not sure if it was just because I was thinking back to being in a room when someone close to me died.

Certainly powerful stuff and food for thought. Living wills have to be the way forward. Need to be able to record what you want to happen at that point. Still frought with issues though.

5t.
Old 13 June 2011, 10:45 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Very powerful. I simply cannot get over how matter of fact the gentleman was.

Trending Topics

Old 13 June 2011, 10:50 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

that was a really hard thing to understand and watch. to me they all seemed to have enough in them to leave normal ish lives, but I also understand the need to do it early as they wont be able to say they want to do it later. hard watch.
Old 14 June 2011, 01:58 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Just need to make sure his ashes don't get dumped in the lake behind the clinic.....http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...as-clinic.html
Old 14 June 2011, 08:57 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I couldn't watch it
Old 14 June 2011, 11:20 AM
MrJim
Scooby Regular

very sad,brave man and even braver wife.
Old 14 June 2011, 11:28 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I could not bring myself to watch it. I don't believe in suicide anyway, if that was permitted officially in this country, it is a smaller step towards a government allotted life span with a trip to the Happy Room when you reached the end of it.

I also think that showing that programme was wrong.

Les
Old 14 June 2011, 11:32 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I could not bring myself to watch it. I don't believe in suicide anyway, if that was permitted officially in this country, it is a smaller step towards a government allotted life span with a trip to the Happy Room when you reached the end of it.

Les
Free speech is wrong?

5t.
Old 14 June 2011, 02:53 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Les
I disagree with both those comments.

The right to a dignified life is a basic human right, if someone has a major accident or a debilitating disease they can request DNR (Do Not Resuscitate), where they if flatline or have an accident do not get brought back.
If you have a Terminal disease and its inevitable you WILL die and in lots of pain, with no chance of cure. Where the person loses their ability to function without 24/7 care, that their mental capacity is deminished to the point where they are not them anymore, and in most cases get scared, angry, and frustrated.

Where is the dignified life in that? If they made an informed decision and said DNR, why can`t they also state that there will come a point where they don`t wish to carry on their wishes can`t be listened to also. And isn`t DNR assisted suicide, as doctors swear an oath to preserve life??

I personally disagree with suicide, and have had mates commit suicide, so know the effects. But surely the position should be different, IF they can openly talk and consider it, and want to do it (no pressure), as their first line of contact would be a shrink which in most cases would weed out the depressed and mentally unstable.

Also its less of a dirty thing if its assisted, as family know and can spend the time with the person, and that itself may change their minds. Where suicide is usually hidden away, and is a shock to the person who finds them, and the family. I personally think that the number of people through this one clinic prove there is NOT a massive appetite for suicide, and the media blow it up to look as if there would be queues of people asking to be euthanased that blatantly isn`t the case.

With most cases its the feeling of desperation of loss of control, and helplessness, by having this option they can have some level of control, so can if used correctly help the person to carry on with life knowing that they have something they can do if the worst comes to the worst.

Secondly I totally think that this subject needs adult discussion, as protecting 1 person in 1000000 is no way of deciding things, the system would catch that one person, and if not would have a hell of a lot more dignified than slitting their wrists, or hanging from a tree for someone to stumble across.
We`re all going to die, most will die in their sleep, some will die in accidents or disease, a few will die a horrible slow agonising death that they will be told about up to 10 years in advance, where everything stops functioning. It is those that this would give some control back to.

Its not the backwards view of reach 60 and heres your tablet sir, or your a burden to people heres your pill, that is just ridiculous.
Old 14 June 2011, 02:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Now this is something that I CAN understand. Two years ago I had to have an op on my spine, and was warned that I could come out of it as a quadraplegic. That frightens me more than death itself, so I made arrangements that, should the worst occur, one of my mates would get me to that clinic where I could depart in peace.

What I COULDN'T get my head round was being unable to do anything except breathe, for myself, and being such a burden on my family.

RIP Terry.
Old 14 June 2011, 03:20 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Now this is something that I CAN understand. Two years ago I had to have an op on my spine, and was warned that I could come out of it as a quadraplegic. That frightens me more than death itself, so I made arrangements that, should the worst occur, one of my mates would get me to that clinic where I could depart in peace.

What I COULDN'T get my head round was being unable to do anything except breathe, for myself, and being such a burden on my family.

RIP Terry.
Yep, totally agree.

The guy who died was so matter of fact, and if I was in that position I`d be blubbering, and more to the point I couldn`t do it, so wouldn`t be there.
Old 14 June 2011, 04:49 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Les
Les , But if someone very close to you was suffering terribly would you rather they continued to suffer or to have that personal choice to be able to end it all in a dignified manner. Having personally seen just how much some people can suffer then I think it should be a basic human right to be able to decide what course of action one takes.

Chip
Old 14 June 2011, 11:00 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

I can't see it would be a hard decision to make. If your dog was lying in its bed all day, had forgotten how to walk and eat, just being fed, p155ing and shttting in its bed, what would you do.

Would you ever want to be like that?

The problem with humans is that the question can be driven by politics or inheritances rather than humanity..... If Dignitas is an easy option, first time you forget the date, the wife and kids have you strapped to the bed getting the needle so they can get the inheritance
Old 15 June 2011, 01:20 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

That was a moving program. What I can't get over is that those people did not look ready to die, to my untrained eye they had plenty of life in them with some level of quality.

At 1:20am I have to say I am thoroughly depressed with thoughts of my own mortality and hopng that I am never so bad as to have to make that decision or in fact have to witness others that I love be in a situation that they wish to make that decision.

Old 15 June 2011, 07:04 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

RIP Terry.
Excellent post Jeff. I remember the conversation me and you had before that operation and at the time I remember blatantly calling you selfish. But my opinion has pretty much swung in the opposite now actually trying to understand the scenario you may have been in had the worst happened.

That's why I didn't watch the program.

I personally do agree with assisted suicide (now) but over here there would have to be so much red tape for it to go ahead I don't think the current ruling would change.
Old 15 June 2011, 07:37 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Les
i tend to agree - although am happy for programs like this to be shown
Old 16 June 2011, 01:42 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Les , But if someone very close to you was suffering terribly would you rather they continued to suffer or to have that personal choice to be able to end it all in a dignified manner. Having personally seen just how much some people can suffer then I think it should be a basic human right to be able to decide what course of action one takes.

Chip
I would rather hope that they could be cured. I am a believer that while there is life, there is hope.

My belief is that it is morally wrong to end your own life.

Les
Old 16 June 2011, 04:52 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Les
So you dont believe people should have the choice on the circumstances of their own death? You dont believe that a person has complete autonomy over their body and life and its their choice how to use it? How could having the choice ever be wrong? Coercising someone into a choice against their will would be wrong but I dont think thats what you're saying...
Old 16 June 2011, 04:55 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I would rather hope that they could be cured. I am a believer that while there is life, there is hope.

Les
You also said earlier this programme shouldn't have been shown but admitted not seeing it. Not everyone agrees with you so you are saying that it is wrong for someone to present their side of the story with that one and you have made a judegment without hearing the arguement.

Normally Les you are a level headed chap but that's just plain wrong.

5t.
Old 16 June 2011, 05:34 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Les
Fair comment, but sometimes you just have to accept that there is no hope and allow that person to persue whatever course they want to take.

After all , it's their life isn't it?

Chip
Old 16 June 2011, 06:04 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Chip
Fair comment, but sometimes you just have to accept that there is no hope and allow that person to persue whatever course they want to take.

After all , it's their life isn't it?

Chip
It is their life, Chip. But their life impacts on so many other lives.
It's a very tough call.
My Dad died of a massive brain hemorrhage when he was only 47. I remember getting the news he had collapsed and also praying he would live, thinking in my head, if he ended up in a wheelchair or whatever, I would look after him.
If he had lived he would have been a complete vegetable (apologies but I can't think of another way to put it) and he would have hated to live like that. It still did not stop me wishing him to survive.
Selfish on my part yes, but I did not want to lose him.
I hasten to add, if he had lived, I feel he would have followed the assisted suicide course as to him, his life would have already come to an end.
Old 17 June 2011, 04:08 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
You also said earlier this programme shouldn't have been shown but admitted not seeing it. Not everyone agrees with you so you are saying that it is wrong for someone to present their side of the story with that one and you have made a judegment without hearing the arguement.

Normally Les you are a level headed chap but that's just plain wrong.

5t.
I have stated my way of thinking about suicide. To my mind the programme was either a tacit acceptance that suicide should become legally acceptable, or it was a tabloid style attempt to push up the ratings.

Either way is wrong in my book.

Les
Old 17 June 2011, 04:14 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Lots of people didn't like it: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...cumentary.html

I was actually very sad watching that man commiting suicide. Obviously to him his life had become unbearable and he was incredibly English stiff upper lip about the whole thing.