Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any tips on...

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2011, 02:36 PM
leeturbo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Any tips on...

..Toilet training puppies? An 11 week old staff in particular, weve had her since 6 weeks old, and obv at first we was expecting 1s and 2s all over the kitchen lol
but now I think she takin the p**s deliberatley.
il tell you what weve tried the obv rubbing the nose and showing her to the paper, when she does it on the paper she gets a big fuss and a treat and she was grasping it, im in with her all day cos im off work with 2 broken arms but im sure shes getting worse, the back door is open allday and some days she'll go outside to do it others( like 2day) she'll come in from outside to do it on the kitchen floor? :wallbang: last time she was at the vets she told us to ignore it completely when she does it in the house( dont shout at her) but treat her when she does it outside or on the paper when it p***ing down. While im writing this she has jst had a pee on the floor 2nd time today,I know staffs arent the sharpest of dogs but surley she should have learned by now? any tips or thoughts appreciated :smthumbup lee
Old 08 June 2011, 03:27 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I imagine that sooner or later she will come to realise that she should not do it in the house. I doubt if she would realise that doing it on the paper is the right thing as apposed to anywhere else in the house.

Maybe you could try the "nose in it" bit and showing her out of the door rather than inside on the paper. Thats is a more positive difference in location.

Les
Old 08 June 2011, 03:35 PM
mrs_b4
Scooby Regular

Am I right in reading you're rubbing the dogs nose in it?? not good!,most pet shops have pet mats which are square sheets like a nappy material which are good for training and absorb the smell. A dog will wee on the same spot if it smells its previous wees tonic water to remove the smell if on the carpet,they will wee within minutes of eating and normally hourly when they are puppies.You need to take the dog outside every hour and encourage it to do its business and watch in the house for it sniffing the floor and circling it,perseverance is the only way,I wish you luck
Old 08 June 2011, 03:40 PM
leeturbo2000
Scooby Regular

cheers for that, ye we rub her nose only in the wee tho loli do disinfect it when she does it got a mop and bucket on hand at the ready lol what i dont understand is she did it right for a good few days, now it seems like she just cba? il keep at it hopefully shell get it one day lol
Old 08 June 2011, 03:59 PM
2000 sport
Scooby Regular

Everyone has their own ideas about puppy training.. Personally I think that teaching them to pee in the house albeit on a mat or some newspaper is quite confusing for the dog (Especially if you have the time to be at home with her). Dogs on the whole are very intelligent, but they make simple connections between things. Has your dog noticed the difference & made the link between peeing on paper and peeing on the floor.. I'd guess that your dog just pee's inside on the basis that in the past you have, on ocassion made a fuss of her for doing so.. When you rub her nose in it, you are confusing her further, and not building much of a positive bond.

When my current dog was a pup I put some gravel down in the back graden and trained him on that.. It didn't take long at all.

From experience, any bitches that my family or I have had, have always taken longer to figure it out than the boys..
Old 08 June 2011, 04:05 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I suggest you get rid of the paper on the floor. It's as bad as pull ups for a child as far as I'm concerned. Teach the dog to wee outside.

Just make sure the dog is well hydrated and taken out to the toilet at least every hour.
When the dog wees/poos outside, give a treat and a fuss. If the dog wees/poos in the house simply clean the mess but ignore the dog.

I don't like the whole rubbing the nose in it as it seems like a punishment for something that they haven't done.
The dog is learning remember.
Dogs that have this done to them have been known to eat their poo through shame and fear of having this type of thing done.

Dogs are very clever and sensative and respond well to positive guidence from their master.

Last edited by Hysteria1983; 08 June 2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08 June 2011, 04:06 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

puppy training pads when they are a bit older, put a post in the garden.

nothing else needed. worked a treat with ours, dont forget plenty of walkies and treats with training.
Old 08 June 2011, 04:23 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

It took a while with our Yorkshire terrier. I used to take him outside all the time and give him treats when he went wee or poo. It went wrong for a little while when he would ask to go outside then pretend to go wee in order to get a treat!

After a week or so I got to notice the signs of him wanting to go to toilet and would take him outside straight away and then praise him (give him a treat).

It took a good month of this before he got the idea.
Old 08 June 2011, 06:02 PM
millsy3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by leeturbo2000
..Toilet training puppies? An 11 week old staff in particular, weve had her since 6 weeks old, and obv at first we was expecting 1s and 2s all over the kitchen lol
il tell you what weve tried the obv rubbing the nose and showing her to the paper, when she does it on the paper she gets a big fuss and a treat and she was grasping it, im in with her all day cos im off work with 2 broken arms but im sure shes getting worse, the back door is open allday and some days she'll go outside to do it others( like 2day) she'll come in from outside to do it on the kitchen floor? :wallbang: last time she was at the vets she told us to ignore it completely when she does it in the house( dont shout at her) but treat her when she does it outside or on the paper when it p***ing down. While im writing this she has jst had a pee on the floor 2nd time today,I know staffs arent the sharpest of dogs but surley she should have learned by now? any tips or thoughts appreciated :smthumbup lee
how did you write that with two broken arms, on a serious note to me them pads were a waste of time, my dog used to bring them in the room and rip them up,
all we did is when he pissed or ****, chuck him in the garden and they get it eventually, its worse than bringin a kid up, good luck mate
Old 08 June 2011, 07:33 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

When I trained my Spaniel it was through watching her actions. When dogs need to go they will often start circling around or become agitated just prior, at this point I used to just gently take the scruff of her neck and guide her outside. Before very long she got the hang of it and soon learned to come and signal to be let out by circling in front of me.
Old 08 June 2011, 07:56 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

I got a American bull dog at 6wk , within a week of being in the cage with those pi55 pad things job done
Old 08 June 2011, 07:58 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamo
puppy training pads when they are a bit older, put a post in the garden.

nothing else needed. worked a treat with ours, dont forget plenty of walkies and treats with training.
......and keep it caged , they understand quick they don't want to lay in it
Old 08 June 2011, 08:48 PM
x-helen-x
Scooby Regular

Wee - Rub nose in, smack so she know wrong, take her to place where she is to do it, tell off and send her to bed!

Poo - Put her nose to it to smell it, smack so she knows wrong, take her to place where she is to do it, tell off and send her to bed!

Worked very quick for my 2 jack russell pups, training at same time. One picked up straight away but other used to wee on floor but make sure you have a treat ready when she done it right. Gotta be cruel to be kind as you cant have a dog weeing/poops in your house!! Also only one person is there boss.

Good Luck
Old 08 June 2011, 09:13 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by x-helen-x
Wee - Rub nose in, smack so she know wrong, take her to place where she is to do it, tell off and send her to bed!

Poo - Put her nose to it to smell it, smack so she knows wrong, take her to place where she is to do it, tell off and send her to bed!

Worked very quick for my 2 jack russell pups, training at same time. One picked up straight away but other used to wee on floor but make sure you have a treat ready when she done it right. Gotta be cruel to be kind as you cant have a dog weeing/poops in your house!! Also only one person is there boss.

Good Luck

See, I don't think that can work as a rule of thumb. I'm not saying any way is right or wrong, and it obviously worked for you, so great!

However, it's all well and good giving a tap/smack to a Jack Russel as it's never going to do much harm, but if we are talking Bull Mastiffs for example, it's just not going to work.

You don't want to be trying to teach a dog like that using physical force. You want to make damn sure it knows your the boss WITHOUT physical punishment.
Old 08 June 2011, 09:19 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Sticking a pups nose in it's pee does absolute fk all , what it does is make the dog either nervous = more 'accidents' or it will get aggressive and start to snap at you

Old wives tale

Puppy training pads and a cage works perfectly well

Btw my 2 year old son had a bit of a dribble on the kitchen floor , I'll take him out of his cage and rub his nose in it
Old 08 June 2011, 10:56 PM
Pjamie
Scooby Regular

It's a puppy. How could it possibly be doing that?

il tell you what weve tried the obv rubbing the nose
Who told you to do that? What does that teach them? That's such a cruel thing to do and doesn't teach them anything except to be scared of you and to be scared to go to the toilet. Flipping barbaric it is.

and showing her to the paper
Why are you teaching your dog to go to the toilet in the house? That's just lazy. Get a proper book, and learn how to do it properly. Paper training dogs doesn't teach them the right thing and they don't know the difference between todays paper, Vogue, or a old newspaper. Just teach them that outside is the place to go.

Puppies have tiny bladders and no control over them. When it's time to go, it's time to go.

Take then out about 10-20 minutes after every meal and don't go back in until they've gone (raining, snowing, 4 o'clock in the morning - doesn't matter). When they do go make a huge fuss of them while still outside.

Take then out immediately after playing with them because they'll need to go.

Take them out immediately after the wake up, and wait till they've been.

Take them out every hour or two at other times and wait until they go and make a huge fuss of them.

If you can, try to get them to associate words with what they are doing, when they are doing it. We use "Go Big" and "Go Pee" . Eventually they'll associate the word with what they are doing and you can often save a lot of hanging around by telling them to "go big" when out on a walk or when it's freezing outside and you need them to go quickly.

If you catch them about to go in the house, shout "NO!", pick them up, and run outside with them - even if there's a stream of pee. Never hit them, or rub their noses in it. When they do go outside make a huge fuss of them, and if your dog is food orientated, give them a treat.

If you mess up, and they go before you catch them, ignore it. Don't mention it, just clean it up, and use a de-oderant spray (from vets of pet shop) to remove the smell completely so they don't associate that place to go to the toilet.

At night get up every 2-3 hours, take them outside until they do something, make a huge fuss, and go straight back to bed. If you have a crate consider using one - they're the best thing we did laterly. Make sure they think their crate is a great place to be and if they go there for a break or sleep, leave them there.

As they get older and learn some control, you can increase these times. If you can get them to learn the associated words, you can often get instant results.

Stop using paper. It doesn't help them associate outside and going to the toilet, and is just lazy.

You bought the dog, and you have to walk it every day, come rain or shine, and you need to teach it to go to the toilet outside, not punish it when you didn't get the timing right or weren't paying enough attention (you have to look at it like that, and teach them what is right).

And stop punishing your dog when you get it wrong. The dog doesn't know any better and it's up to you to teach it properly.

Be absolutely consistent. Make sure everyone uses the same words and behaviour and your dog will learn quickly. Be inconsistent and you'll just confuse it.

Does it work. Yes. All of our dogs have been pretty much toilet trained at 10 weeks (with occasional accidents) and by 14-16 weeks are completely clean. Some dogs take longer than others, and it's hard work, but it's only for a short time and worth it as you still won't be cleaning up months later.

Last edited by Pjamie; 08 June 2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08 June 2011, 11:00 PM
leeturbo2000
Scooby Regular

cheers for the advice, it seems im on the right track the dogs just gotta catch on lol and to answer your Q millsy.....with difficulty ha iv got my right one in a movable brace thingy so i can do most things bar take weight on it, my left is fooked tho
Old 08 June 2011, 11:11 PM
1000rwhp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by donny andi
I got a American bull dog at 6wk , within a week of being in the cage with those pi55 pad things job done

Hello mate,

I Also have a American bulldog , Mines a Hines scott Johnson Hybrid Ab , What type is yours mate?

Ali.
Old 08 June 2011, 11:29 PM
mrs_b4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by x-helen-x

Good Luck
OMFG are you for real? if you need to terrify your dog or smack it to get your point across then you shouldn't really own any animal,any good dog owner/trainer would never use the methods you are using
Old 08 June 2011, 11:34 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrs_b4
OMFG are you for real? if you need to terrify your dog or smack it to get your point across then you shouldn't really own any animal,any good dog owner/trainer would never use the methods you are using
I did think it seemed a bit much.
Old 08 June 2011, 11:40 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Take the puppy out after every meal and wait until it toilets and the extact moment it starts to go praise and hand full of treats.

If it does it in the house just clean it up, the puppy doesnt understand that is wrong so punishing it will just make the puppy nervous as it will see you inflicting pain or misery randomnly on it.

Staffies do take a long time to learn basic things so it is just going to take time but if you get it to toilet in the garden every time by taking it out every hour and waiting until it toilets the quicker it will learn, you could use a cage at night i didnt for my dogs i use and inside pen as i dont expect a puppy to be clean for the night as its body desnt have that sort of muscle control babies cant be clean so why would a puppy? Both my most recent dogs have pee'd in there beds as puppies and then slept in the wet beds even though they didnt have to so the theory that puppies dont mess their beds isnt always true.

As others have said it is just a time and patience thing some dogs learn quickly some dont.

As with ALL training treats EVERY time the dog does something right and eventually they will learn what to do and then you can gradually fade the treats away over a few weeks or months depending on what you are teaching
Old 08 June 2011, 11:50 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Pjamie has pretty much got it right

x-helen-x if that worked with you dogs then using the methods Pjamie has described would work quicker and be kinder to your dogs.

P.S. the old wives tails about being dominant still get repeated, dogs dont think like that they basicly do what we pay them for in treats or they do what they feel like doing, using treats will get better results.

If you want to train a command dont say it until the dog is doing the act then say it so the dog gets the connection, if you stand they saying go pee and the dog instead decides to sniff the ground it wont get the right connection!
Old 08 June 2011, 11:51 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I took advice from someone in the know and it worked a treat. Was hard going but worth it.
I took our dog to the door, every hour and rattled the keys, opened the door and let him out. It only took him a short time to realise, if he rattled the keys with his nose, someone would let him out and he could do his business. He still does it, to this day. Only had 3 accidents.
It might be a bit more difficult with a small dog, but I would guess a staffie could reach the door keys. Sorry if I am wrong
Old 09 June 2011, 10:37 PM
scoobysewell69
Scooby Regular

when i was toilet training my staffy i cut up squares of paper, so every time i thought he was going to do a wee or a poo i would follow him about, realising this was not right i bought a staffordshire bull terrier book from pets at home. it advised me that if my puppy did its business in the house, take it outside leaving him in the garden for no longer than 5 mins. after a few weeks my puppy was going to the door himself to let us know that he wanted out.

hope this helps
Old 10 June 2011, 02:06 AM
leeturbo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobysewell69
it advised me that if my puppy did its business in the house, take it outside leaving him in the garden for no longer than 5 mins. after a few weeks my puppy was going to the door himself to let us know that he wanted out.

hope this helps
tried this yesterday,all day, leaving her out for 5mins or so....she didnt like it, but it seems to have worked. only one accident allday, shes been spoilt rotten lol

this is the scoundrel in question lol

Last edited by leeturbo2000; 10 June 2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 10 June 2011, 09:41 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I havent red any of the replies but Im now on my second pup and we have three things we do that seem to work exceedinly well.

First of, for the first 4 months you can't do anything except watch it and as soon as it starts to sniff get it outside. Lucy was evey 10mins put it out and when it wee's give it a treat it doesn't get any other time say wee wee's and then loads of strokes and attention.

With Jack, our first beagle he loved food and only needed a trteat everytime he went out - he soon learned to abuse the system..

Lucy is not bothered by food so we only stoke her if she pees out side.

Finally we put our dogs in a create at night and dogs don't like laying in their own mess and it worked amazingly.

Lucy has had some accidents but we found that she gets scared Very easily.....

Give it time and youll get there.

The other way that has worked for everyone I know is to chase the ****er around the house n beat the **** out of it......

Last edited by RobsyUK; 10 June 2011 at 09:42 PM.