Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Petrol Radio Controlled Cars

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2002, 10:46 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I am looking at getting one over the weekend, maybe next weekend and was wondering if you lot could give me a few pointers. I have seen loads of posts on here about Nitro cars and loads of other stuff but it does not really make any sense to me.

I currently have a 1/16th scale Electric Nikko Impreza with an upgrade motor (Sprint) but compared to my Brother-in-law's petrol 1/10th it's so slow. It's like trying to race a Lada against a F1 car!

There is a local model shop to me that may trade in my current one against a new one, but I don't know yet, I'll have to give them a call.

Well, if anyone can share their wisdom it would be gratefully appreciated. Really anything at all will be a big help.

Thanks
Darren
Old 18 April 2002, 11:19 PM
Marin
Scooby Regular

Best thing to do is buy one of the RC car magazines as they will have reviews of different kits from beginner stuff to race kit. I would say go for a 1/10th nitro with pull start etc before being tempted by a 1/8th rallycross buggy or similar as they are ballistically fast and a bit of a handful if you are not used to handling an rc car (also expensive if you crash it!)

Stick with the big names such as Kyosho, Tamiya, PowerZone etc and you won't go far wrong...
Old 19 April 2002, 09:34 AM
Scrappy2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've an HPI 1:8th scale Nitro - my first dabble at a nitro car - really easy to build and tons of upgrades....

oh yeah, and it goes like stink
Old 19 April 2002, 11:20 AM
acme
Scooby Newbie

first time on a nitro RC will be very hard.....
there is a few points u have to think about befor u get into these kinda stuff:-

expensive,
hard to controll,
cost loads to run,
need alot of time to clean/fix/setup the car,
extremely annoying if ur car dont start.....,
can break ur legs if u lost controll of it while its going full speed heading ur way.......

if u really want to get into these things then its either ur loaded or u gonna get a bottom of the range one...

i can give u some idears on what u should go for the first time...

1/10 scale 2wd and anything engine size below .12 ( less power and 2wd means less things to care about ) and the make u should go for is something like Thunder Tiger from Taiwan, there cars are *easy* and cheap to build and run but its no use against some of the higer class makes ( no offence to any TT owners...)

then once u get the hang on it then go for 4wd .15 or higher engines and better makes like Kyosho, HPI, Tamyia....( from Japan ) and this is when things get expensive....from 280quid to 350......thats juz the car itself.....
these are all kits ( part from a few other makes ) and takes about 2hrs ( if ur very very very experence or 6hrs if ur new to it ) to build.....

then u have to think about the controller itself.....there is many makes but i use Futaba ( cost me 360quid for it )
but some are cheaper.....70 and u can get one

i've spend over 1grand on my one in juz 6months...it is a very expensive and time wasteing hobby so u have to think about it befor u get into it....

if u want some more info u can always goto any good hobby shops and ask if they have a Ripmax caterlog and read a few things in it

or goto these sites
www.ripmax.com
www.kyosho.co.jp ( its got english version in there so dont worry )

Old 19 April 2002, 12:14 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

I've got a Kyosho GP Readyset Subaru WRX £199. The kit comes fully built and painted you just add the stickers. All the radio gear is supplied you just need to buy fuel & batteries. For a complete novice like me it is perfect, fast enough and easy to maintain. I looked at the others such as HPI but did not want to build it myself so chose the Kyosho.
Old 19 April 2002, 03:01 PM
Karlos Fandango
Scooby Regular

Talking

Try this place www.rccaraction.com If you look at the area called radio control zone there is a big forum, which should have as much info as you can find.

Take into account where you wil be using it. I bought a top end 1/10 nitro car but it proved very difficult to find places to run it apart from my local track, I'm now selling it and have bought an off road truck so I can use it anywhere.

Karl
Old 19 April 2002, 05:09 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Thanks loads

What I am going to do is go into a local model shop and play the idiot (not a difficult task) and see what they recommend and then try and found out more info on the web. They are not the kind of shop that makes you buy something that you don't need, which is nice

Thanks again all
Darren
Old 21 April 2002, 09:22 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

I ended up buying a Thunder Tiger 4wd 1/10th scale Scooby. Trouble is, I can't get the bugger started, it keeps firing running and stopping before I can remove the glow stick thing. I might have a sickie tomorrow from work and pop back into the shop and get it set-up correctly and then take it out for a blast.

Thanks for all your advice

Darren
Old 21 April 2002, 10:04 PM
SCOOBERATORS
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have a 1/8th toyota corrola rally car (petrol+very fast)
ive had it about 2 years but just dont get time to use it.
only used about 5 times.Thinking of selling it as it just sits in the garage sulking.can someone give him a good home
looking for £275.

Richard....................