Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

anyone in the British Army?

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2011, 11:06 PM
musso2010
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone in the British Army?

Are there any serving members of the British Army on here?

I am looking at a possible change in direction after losing my job in 2010 and having no luck finding any reliable work since.

What is life really like? In particular for the wife and kids that get left behind. I want to hear true facts, from serving members or recently served.

I have been to the local careers office, been promised a life of travel and sun shine but i don't want to hear a sales pitch, just truth. Its a big step to take and get wrong.

Pm me if you prefer. Thanks
Old 21 April 2011, 06:58 AM
krisando
Scooby Regular

You have pm
Old 21 April 2011, 07:33 AM
astra_dave
Scooby Regular

Will reply in more detail when I get on my desktop if I don't please pm me
Old 21 April 2011, 08:07 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is slot dependent on what trade/unit/corps you want to go for, this will dictate the sort of travel you will do.
For instance, getting posted/attached to a unit in a division (like 1 armoured div) means your going to be hitting those tours quite regulary, where as some units have other operational roles in different parts of the world (Cyprus and NI as examples) and you will do a full tour there (3-4 years).
My final posting before leaving was with the "green" spearhead unit for the British army, and even though they were based in the UK I spent more time out of the UK lol, for example, 6 month tour in Bosnia, back for 1 month on leave, back to work Monday, flying out to Swaziland on Friday!

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 21 April 2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 21 April 2011, 11:36 AM
musso2010
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by krisando
You have pm
Back at you mate, thanks

Originally Posted by astra_dave
Will reply in more detail when I get on my desktop if I don't please pm me
Looking forward to it, thanks.

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
There is slot dependent on what trade/unit/corps you want to go for, this will dictate the sort of travel you will do.
For instance, getting posted/attached to a unit in a division (like 1 armoured div) means your going to be hitting those tours quite regulary, where as some units have other operational roles in different parts of the world (Cyprus and NI as examples) and you will do a full tour there (3-4 years).
My final posting before leaving was with the "green" spearhead unit for the British army, and even though they were based in the UK I spent more time out of the UK lol, for example, 6 month tour in Bosnia, back for 1 month on leave, back to work Monday, flying out to Swaziland on Friday!

Tony
Yeah, moving my kids around is my biggest concern. I am not keen on the idea of the having to move schools every few years. I am toying with the idea of the RAC, particularly the armoured reconnaissance side of it.
Old 21 April 2011, 08:59 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by musso2010

I am looking at a possible change in direction after losing my job in 2010 and having no luck finding any reliable work since.

What is life really like? In particular for the wife and kids that get left behind. I want to hear true facts, from serving members or recently served.

I have been to the local careers office, been promised a life of travel and sun shine but i don't want to hear a sales pitch, just truth. Its a big step to take and get wrong.

Did you ever have any ambition to join the Forces before you lost your job and couldn't find reliable work.Before you even step foot through the careers door you need to be totally honest with yourself.When i joined it was because i wanted to join from a young age it was in me to want to do it.I left some time ago but still have mates etc.What i'm saying is if someone offered you a permanent reliable job tomorrow,would this thought of joining the Forces totally disappear from your mind,or is it something that you would still want to do...
Old 21 April 2011, 09:10 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

How old are you? Personally if I think if you are older than maybe 23/24 it will be too much of a shock to the system this sort of life.
Old 21 April 2011, 09:19 PM
astra_dave
Scooby Regular

Yeah, moving my kids around is my biggest concern. I am not keen on the idea of the having to move schools every few years. I am toying with the idea of the RAC, particularly the armoured reconnaissance side of it.
I'm with the REME and we move around ever 2-3 years and to be honest, my kids love it and the idea of it. Somewhere new every few years it a great way to get around.

Units like the RAC as you say don't tend to move, but they do at times.

I'll be totally honest as a REME VM (A) - Tank Mechanic i've got a pretty easy life. There is the usual bull**** you'd expect from any job, like turning up with pressed uniform and on time, but over all its a great life. In the last 5 years, i've been to Canada twice, once for a 6week exercise and a 2nd time for a 4month attachment as temp staff. I've been snowboarding in Austria and France. I've not been on tour, i got part way through the Pre-deployment training and dislocated my knee.

I wanted to join the RAF, but failed the entry exams, i didn't want to join from a young age, i joined up because i'd lost my job, and needed something, and everyone said i wouldn't last 5 minutes.

Looking back, losing my job and joining the army was a damn good thing.

Basis training is totally bollocks but worth it for the army to break you down and rebuild you as they need you.

Once you've got to the field army, things do improve (trust me) and most days it is like working a 8am-5pm job, turn up, do your thing and go home. Its only exercises, doing physical training, doing on tour and adventure training that makes it different to every other job.

I personally say get a trade, get a job you can relate to back in Civvy life, get as many things as you can from the Army, like courses and stuff so you can use them yourself when you leave. Once i've done my time, i'll be a full qualified mechanic, with hopefully a HND in Mechanical Engineering.

Hope this helps somehow, anything else you wanna know, please feel free to ask, or pm me.

Last edited by astra_dave; 21 April 2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 21 April 2011, 09:26 PM
Will
BANNED

I'm with the REME and we move around ever 2-3 years and to be honest, my kids love it and the idea of it. Somewhere new every few years it a great way to get around.

Units like the RAC as you say don't tend to move, but they do at times.

I'll be totally honest as a REME VM (A) - Tank Mechanic i've got a pretty easy life. There is the usual bull**** you'd expect from any job, like turning up with pressed uniform and on time, but over all its a great life. In the last 5 years, i've been to Canada twice, once for a 6week exercise and a 2nd time for a 4month attachment as temp staff. I've been snowboarding in Austria and France. I've not been on tour, i got part way through the Pre-deployment training and dislocated my knee.

I wanted to join the RAF, but failed the entry exams, i didn't want to join from a young age, i joined up because i'd lost my job, and needed something, and everyone said i wouldn't last 5 minutes.

Looking back, losing my job and joining the army was a damn good thing.

Basis training is totally bollocks but worth it for the army to break you down and rebuild you as they need you.

Once you've got to the field army, things do improve (trust me) and most days it is like working a 8am-5pm job, turn up, do your thing and go home. Its only exercises, doing physical training, doing on tour and adventure training that makes it different to every other job.

I personally say get a trade, get a job you can relate to back in Civvy life, get as many things as you can from the Army, like courses and stuff so you can use them yourself when you leave. Once i've done my time, i'll be a full qualified mechanic, with hopefully a HND in Mechanical Engineering.

Hope this helps somehow, anything else you wanna know, please feel free to ask, or pm me.
My brother in law is a REME. He was based in Germany and their first born were born there. They came to the UK and hated it, they had 2 more kids. They are now back in Germany and loving it, so does the kids.
Old 21 April 2011, 09:48 PM
astra_dave
Scooby Regular

I'm based in Germany n my little girl was born here 19months ago. My wife, her kids n our girl all love it out here.
Old 21 April 2011, 09:52 PM
musso2010
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the input guys.

Yeah i have always been interested in the military ever since i was little, and i do regret not giving it a go when i left school. Once i left school i found a good job, then met my misses and had kids, the rest is history as they say. But i world always find myself thinking 'what if'.

I am now 25 and i have decided its now or never. There is nothing on civvy street, and i want the best for my family. I was worried i might be a bit too old now, what do you guys think?

I am a fit guy, regularly use the gym etc...
Old 21 April 2011, 10:06 PM
SinnerBugEye
Scooby Regular

as a REME VM (A) - Tank Mechanic i've got a pretty easy life. There is the usual bull**** you'd expect from any job, like turning up with pressed uniform and on time, but over all its a great life.
I second that its easy work when not on tours
Old 22 April 2011, 08:48 AM
astra_dave
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the input guys.

Yeah i have always been interested in the military ever since i was little, and i do regret not giving it a go when i left school. Once i left school i found a good job, then met my misses and had kids, the rest is history as they say. But i world always find myself thinking 'what if'.

I am now 25 and i have decided its now or never. There is nothing on civvy street, and i want the best for my family. I was worried i might be a bit too old now, what do you guys think?

I am a fit guy, regularly use the gym etc...
my mate joined up at 25, he's 30now and loving it, being older does make a difference imo when going through training, staff seem to respect the age a little more.
Old 22 April 2011, 10:08 AM
musso2010
Scooby Regular

my mate joined up at 25, he's 30now and loving it, being older does make a difference imo when going through training, staff seem to respect the age a little more.
Now that suprises me. I would have thought me being older, more on par with the training staffs age would have made things a little harder for me...
Old 22 April 2011, 10:12 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now that suprises me. I would have thought me being older, more on par with the training staffs age would have made things a little harder for me...

I guess you're not some snotty nosed kid looking to take on the world .. you've thought out your life, tried a few things and decided to serve ..

Good on you for considering it, I've often thought about it, but my poor health stops me applying .. If I could find a technical UK role, I'd apply.
Old 22 April 2011, 11:46 AM
astra_dave
Scooby Regular

As above mate said pretty much what I was gonna say.
Old 22 April 2011, 01:03 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

The older guys in Basic Training got some more respect than the ypunger ones as they tend to organise things a little better, getting the blokes out on parade on time and ensuring block jobs are done correctly for room inspections etc!

Im ex RE and was in Hameln in Germany for 6 years, loved it! Grafted when we were on tour or Ex and then chillout time when back in Camp! I signed off in 2006 and they posted me to Cyprus, gutted eh
Old 22 April 2011, 01:48 PM
astra_dave
Scooby Regular

I'm after Hameln for my next posting. Amphibious Engineers just sounds cool
Old 22 April 2011, 07:31 PM
musso2010
Scooby Regular

Right, I have decided that i am going to do it. I will wait for the Easter break to finish then i will hand my application forms into the careers office. Now all i have got to do is decide what type of job i want to do...
Old 22 April 2011, 07:57 PM
astra_dave
Scooby Regular

as said, i'd go for something that you use in civvy street. My brother is with the Royal Signals as a Driver/Linesman, once he gets out he'll be fully qualified to walk into any job involving communications and setting up communications, like working for Sky, BT, Virgin or anyone like that. I'm hoping to have a full HND in Mechanical Engineering.

What did you do beforehand? as you know there are a million and one jobs to do in the Army.
Old 22 April 2011, 09:33 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

I'm after Hameln for my next posting. Amphibious Engineers just sounds cool
I was in 23 AES when I first went to Hameln in 2000, went back in to 42 Fd Sqn when I returned after my Plumbing course in 2001! Hameln is a great posting!
Old 22 April 2011, 09:42 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Right, I have decided that i am going to do it. I will wait for the Easter break to finish then i will hand my application forms into the careers office. Now all i have got to do is decide what type of job i want to do...
Have you checked how much, or little you'll be paid?

When you're 17/18 it's not bad money, but at 25 it'll seem like slave labour, unless you were in a low paid job before.

Also, what qualifications do you have? You might make the grade to be commissioned which is a whole new world - and pays more.
Old 22 April 2011, 10:18 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Its a good point if you already have a skill,i was sometimes pushed to go into the Engineers because i had Qualifications in construction(you would be good in Bosnia comments i got etc),the old man wouldn't sign me up at 16 so i went to college and learned a trade..I guess the old mans brother being in the sas i wanted to make into the special forces.Is more advertising now about learning a trade in the Army it wasn't so advertised when i joined....Good luck
Old 24 April 2011, 03:49 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Join the RAF. Less BS they say, that why I joined anyway!

Les
Old 24 April 2011, 03:57 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

as said, i'd go for something that you use in civvy street. My brother is with the Royal Signals as a Driver/Linesman, once he gets out he'll be fully qualified to walk into any job involving communications and setting up communications, like working for Sky, BT, Virgin or anyone like that. I'm hoping to have a full HND in Mechanical Engineering.
Ahhhh a liney telemech is more useful though they did a reorg in the trades in the signals a while back, basically your linesman did all the over ground work whilst your telemech (also better paid) did your underground/fibre work (though if your bro can get his riggers course out of it, its a good qualification to have in civvy street).
When I left everyone wanted to do the fibre optics course, they use to pay like 50 quid per splice, no where near that now, telecoms has dropped in the market since the mid 90's

Tony

PS, Dave, why did you go for VM(A) over a VM(B) which seem to have more opportunities?
Old 24 April 2011, 06:58 PM
musso2010
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Join the RAF. Less BS they say, that why I joined anyway!

Les
Are you serving now Les?
Old 25 April 2011, 12:04 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Are you serving now Les?
Think Les has already done his bit for Queen & country.
Old 25 April 2011, 12:07 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mervil
The older guys in Basic Training got some more respect than the ypunger ones as they tend to organise things a little better, getting the blokes out on parade on time and ensuring block jobs are done correctly for room inspections etc!

Im ex RE and was in Hameln in Germany for 6 years, loved it! Grafted when we were on tour or Ex and then chillout time when back in Camp! I signed off in 2006 and they posted me to Cyprus, gutted eh
I'm guessing that Cyprus is the most popular posting in the British Army!
Old 25 April 2011, 12:23 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Are you serving now Les?
No I did my time and would not have missed it for anything.

Les