Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Champix side effects

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2011, 08:35 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Champix side effects

Hi all has anyone had any bad side effects to champix the so called wonder drug,either while on it or even a year after your last tablet
Some horror stories on the net from usa and canada i even think they have banned it
Old 01 April 2011, 10:32 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Is it for erectile disfunction?
Old 01 April 2011, 10:44 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A mate of mine used them to give up smoking and it really messed his life up! It came to a head when he went on the run from the police and eventually got caught and arrested under the mental health act until they realised it was the champix that made him flip!
Old 01 April 2011, 10:47 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^^^For real?????

For me - a few trippy dreams which were ace. Lots of farting, which was ace and no more ****, which is ace.
I have 6 close mates who have all quit with champix and the worst side effect was nausea which only hit one of them
Old 01 April 2011, 11:08 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

My mate almost climbed out of his bedroom window sleep walking when he was on it, he's in a second floor flat, could have been messy lol
Old 01 April 2011, 11:20 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brun
^^^^^^For real?????

For me - a few trippy dreams which were ace. Lots of farting, which was ace and no more ****, which is ace.
I have 6 close mates who have all quit with champix and the worst side effect was nausea which only hit one of them
Sadly yes. It was horrible watching it all unfolding on facebook because it was so out of character for him and he was out of control, when he realised what had happened and what he had been doing I think it scared him because it was making him do things he wouldn't normally do and it also lost him his girlfriend
Old 01 April 2011, 11:44 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dental clinics are full of patients who have gum disease related to smoking who go through the NHS smoking cessation service including using Champix...

So far nobody has mentioned any sinister side effects

Ok this is a small sample size covering Cumbria and the Scottish Borders but it would tend to suggest that side effects could be small......

Shaun
Old 02 April 2011, 06:53 AM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Like a streak of lightnin' flashing 'cross the sky
Like the swiftest arrow whizzing from a bow
Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly
You'll hear about him everywhere you go
The time will come when everyone will know
The name of.....Champix the wonder drug ......

Sorry. I'll get my coat .....

Dave

Old 02 April 2011, 09:49 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Never heard of Champix. Sounds like something that is best avoided to me.

When I kicked the horrible habit I cornered the market in Maltesers which helped me to resist the weed at the cost of putting on a bit of weight of course. I had been a heavy smoker but it worked anyway thank goodness, and I have never felt the need for a ciggy again.

Les
Old 02 April 2011, 09:53 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Oh, it's one of those drugs. Now I've never smoked, so never had to "quit" either, but drugs to stop you doing something which is purely a voluntary act???
Yes smoking is voluntary but there is an addiction to the nicotene. These drugs (apparently) cut of the receptors in the brain which crave the nicotene. Once that hapens, you only have the mental addiction to get over so you pick a day to stop and you do just that. I didn't think for one minute that it would work, but for me and 6 others it simply has.

... these were the side effects you saw. Did the doctor explain WHY, and HOW, you were getting these side effects? Are you sure the "side effects" are no more?
No - never saw the Doc once - all done through the nurse. The side effects i've mentioned are no more and i'm not aware of any others (1 year since i quit). Am i heading for a mental breakdown?
Old 02 April 2011, 10:00 AM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Its called chantix in the U.S and the reviews are very scary some developing side effects and still have them 2 years on
I have even read that pilots and air traffic controllers are banned from taking them all together along with truckers.

I ask cause i did champix about 6 months ago and it worked i stopped smoking but had a relapse and started again i got some more tablets last week and i took 4 days worth and i had chest pains mouth ulcers and muscle spasms in my leg
I have now stopped and feel ok again
Old 02 April 2011, 10:44 AM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

Placebo or not, I managed to quit using it when other products/I failed and so therefore its a success in my eyes

I did have some real f*cked up dreams though lol
Old 02 April 2011, 12:04 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

I got light headaches that's all
Old 02 April 2011, 12:33 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Question

Originally Posted by zs_phil
Its called chantix in the U.S and the reviews are very scary some developing side effects and still have them 2 years on
I have even read that pilots and air traffic controllers are banned from taking them all together along with truckers.

I ask cause i did champix about 6 months ago and it worked i stopped smoking but had a relapse and started again i got some more tablets last week and i took 4 days worth and i had chest pains mouth ulcers and muscle spasms in my leg
I have now stopped and feel ok again
Got any left? I need to kick the tabs!
Old 02 April 2011, 02:35 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i thought the thread was about depression after a skiing holiday tbh
Old 02 April 2011, 05:49 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

considering the drug is only effective in the long term for about one in five users
Bull**** imo
Old 02 April 2011, 07:14 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phil, it may not be as good, but if you are really struggling to quit, why not ask about trying zyban instead. See if it agrees with you a bit more.

Mind you, I had a fit when taking that. However, I have since been diagnosed with epilepsy, so it's not possible to put that seizure down to the tablets (although it is a possible side effect).

As a side note, they didn't work for me.
Old 02 April 2011, 07:27 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

Zyban is worse for mental health side effects than Champix (zyban is used as an anti-depressant in the states)

Champix is no 'wonder drug' and everyone shopuld be monitored closely while taking it.
Everything has side effects and Champix is certainly no exception. Its acting on your brain for god sake.
Old 02 April 2011, 07:30 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

"... Champix has been tested extensively in clinical trials which lasted for 12 weeks. The success rate amongst people trying to quit smoking with the help of Champix varenicline was found to be 44% as compared to 33% amongst people using Zyban for smoking cessation. One year study revealed 22% abstinence amongst people buying Champix varenicline against 16% abstinence amongst people using Zyban. ..."

I did quote "effective over the long term" figure, which this seems to back up. As I said, I don't/have never smoked but it took me less than a minute to find this.

Dave

PS: I do realise that 22% is not "exactly" 1 in 5 .....
I just can't see it but if those are the figures then so be it. Me and the 6 others i mentioned must be lucky i guess. 7 out of 7 with 4 of us over 12 months so far
Old 02 April 2011, 07:39 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ellie*
Zyban is worse for mental health side effects than Champix (zyban is used as an anti-depressant in the states)

Champix is no 'wonder drug' and everyone shopuld be monitored closely while taking it.
Everything has side effects and Champix is certainly no exception. Its acting on your brain for god sake.
I suppose it depends upon which is the greater evil. The use of the drugs are (or should only be) short term, so wouldn't the risk of problems be at least lower than someone say taking them for depression?

I do agree that when taking such medication people should be monitored.
Old 02 April 2011, 07:41 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Phil, it may not be as good, but if you are really struggling to quit, why not ask about trying zyban instead. See if it agrees with you a bit more.

Mind you, I had a fit when taking that. However, I have since been diagnosed with epilepsy, so it's not possible to put that seizure down to the tablets (although it is a possible side effect).

As a side note, they didn't work for me.
Thanks but im going back on the patches again i think i dont smoke at all when im at work so the biggest cig to break is the 6pm one when i get home .
I know one thing for sure is i wont ever be touching or recommending champix to anyone
Old 02 April 2011, 08:44 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

all drugs have a a great risk of possible side effects,

have you seen the list for smoking and drinking alchohol,

even caffine has many "possible" side effects, including dependancy.

unfortunatley each person on the planet is slightly different than the next, so you can never tell the reaction youll get,

you can have an educated guess at likley side effects, say if your prone to depression or sleepwalking or whatever..

the important thing is to know the drug, know the possible side effects an just generally be aware of what you are taking

then its down to personal choice - do the risks outweigh the possible benefits? and take it from there,

then when taking monitor and adjust to reaction your having

the only real way to know anything for absolute sure is to try it.

with the health risks of smoking, id imagine most stop smoking drugs are worth a shot lol
Old 03 April 2011, 08:39 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is bound to be better for you and a much greater achievement of course if you can do it without drugs, mind altering or not.

I think it would ncourage you more to stay off them too if you do it cold turkey.

Les