Old 16 April 2002, 08:48 AM
ronny555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

That's it, I have had enough!

Over the past 4 days I have made several journeys on the A449/M50
in south wales, and on every journey there was a white van with a
camera mounted inside. 8 journeys - 8 different locations, side of roads, behind roadworks, on bridges.
Thankfully first sighting was in roadworks with me stuck behind a
metro - so no ticket - was wiser on next journeys.

If the police are going to this extreme to make money buy sighting cameras on dual carriageways with no black spot history/schools/built up areas. Then I have no option but to purchase a speed camera detector.

Can anyone advise where the best/cheapest place is to buy these.
I have been told that the bel500 is the best?
Old 16 April 2002, 09:06 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

I use a Bel 550, not bad but a little enthusiastic at times....

http://www.beldirect.co.uk

Old 16 April 2002, 09:16 AM
divecon
Scooby Regular

Question

I was just looking at the Bel site and was wondering what the major differences/advantages between the 550 and the Geodesy? Is it better to go with a detector or a unit that has all of the cameras via GPS data?

Pricing is about the same but I was wondering what experiences you guys have had with these?

Cheers

Neil
Old 16 April 2002, 09:52 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
The Geodesy's won't spot the vans since they're not a fixed site camera. However they do spot the Specs cameras that the Bel (or indeed any radar detector) doesn't. I think the type of detector depends on your circumstances. If you live in Thames valley, Essex, Northamptonshire then it seems you need something that detects mobile speed traps. Or if you live in London where there are so many Gatso's that you can't possibly remember them all then the GPS type ones might suit better.

Justin
Old 16 April 2002, 09:53 AM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Neil,

The major difference between the Goedsey (and Blue i for that matter) and the Bell andsimilar detectors is the Goedsey warns you of FIXED location speed traps. It can't warn you of mobile traps as they are not in the database. So to be protected from mobile cameras and hairdryer toting policeman you need a detector lile the Bell 550 as well as a GPS trap locator.

I personally use the Origin Blue i and think it is great, definitely warned me of an 'accident black spoy' on at least one occasion in the few weeks I have had it. I will probably be getting a detactor as well to go with it though.

Cheers

Robin
Old 16 April 2002, 10:00 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

IMHO no radar detector is going to help you if a mobile laser is fired at your car. The laser is just to quick for you to respond, when you get the warning from the detector you will have been hit by the laser. The scatter of a laser is around 40cm so it is unlikely that a detector would be able to pick up anything from another vehicle. I use a Bell 990i which was replaced by the Bell 550, it is very good against Gatsos but as other people have mentioned no use against Specs. I tend to check speed trap websites before I travel in unknown areas and so far this has served me well.
Old 16 April 2002, 10:02 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

We borrowed a friends Valentine One at the weekend, unfortunatly as there are only 2 fixed speed cameras working in Hampshire we didn't get a chance to test it out - very good at detecting automatic doors though ...therefore I assume it would be good at the rest?
Old 16 April 2002, 11:04 AM
helpme
Scooby Regular

where the speed camera's jen?
Old 16 April 2002, 11:23 AM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

I agree with Si, the detectors are little use against the patrol's with laser guns. I had one up until recently and i got caught with a laser gun, 3 points £60 fine thanks very much. Still it did beep to tell me i had been caught, backed up a few days later by a NIP.

I now use a Geodesey as there are more and more cameras springing up now especially in Nottingham. At least with this device i know where they all are and i don't any false alarms, it even gives you a mile warning instead of 150 meters. Leaves me more time to spot those bloody Van's!
Ali
Old 16 April 2002, 11:25 AM
helpme
Scooby Regular

what's Geodesey?
Old 16 April 2002, 11:30 AM
ChrisB

http://www.cxi.org.uk/reviews/geodesy.htm

My Geodesy has been working hard the last few weeks. Flippin Northant's is loaded with SPECs and Truvelo cameras, neither of which a radar dectector will warn you of.

Fair enough, it doesn't get the mobile vans in use as well, but

http://www.northants.police.uk/safet..._locations.htm helps out on that front.
Old 16 April 2002, 11:33 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

ok so how much is a geodosy then ?

[edited to say ok I aint spendin £380]

[Edited by Dizzy - 4/16/2002 11:34:07 AM]
Old 16 April 2002, 11:40 AM
ChrisB

You should be able to get it up to £50 less Dizzy. I think Networx will discount them still.
Old 16 April 2002, 12:03 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

helpme - sorry...no-one at work will tell me (County Council...) I just know there's only 2 working - and they're up in the North of the County...however, don't underestimate the popularity of the police hand helds as there're LOADS in Hampshire - especially around the M27 roadworks at the moment.

Jen
Old 16 April 2002, 12:04 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Oh - and don't speed through the roadworks anyway as they're changing daily and there has been at least two serious accidents there...
Old 16 April 2002, 12:23 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

just put false plates on!

I mean this whole thing with speed is stupid. I went down to Devon the other week and on the A30 at 3pm with about 6 cars on the raod there was PC Plod with his little gun.
How many accidents do you think he prevented?

Here's a good one, on Channel five they had a programme called moment of impact. It's all about crashes chases etc.

A lorry was driving along saw the copper so jammed his brakes on, the truck jack-knifed, tipped over and killed 5 people. Hmmm, that was an effective way of reducing car related accidents.
Old 16 April 2002, 02:31 PM
StevieB
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Jen’s right, M27 roadworks are getting alot of Police attention at the moment. Possibly in this case, justifiable, with the mentioned accidents.

I may find out the hard way though, as after a weeks holiday the raodworks had progressed a fair amount and I entered the 50 zone well before I was expecting too. I passed an un-marked white van just within the 50 limit, with what appeared to be a tripod inside and can only assume it was a camera etc. No nasty envelopes waiting for me on the doormat as yet, but lesson learned and now down to 50 well in advance.

Steve