Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Remote start ?

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2011, 10:35 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Remote start ?

Looking at getting a new alarm .. considering remote start ?

Any reason not to ?

I wanted full closure / opening (if possible) remote locking and remote boot too ?
Old 25 February 2011, 10:55 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Reasons not to: Insurance. The possibility of it starting up with the car in gear (it should be wired with a safety interlock to prevent this, but sometimes this isn't possible). I know with Toads it invalidates its CAT1 specification.

Finally, if its a modern car...i.e post 1996 and not a Rover/Land Rover, then it has a chip-in key immobilser which is often built in as part of the engine ECU. This would have to be bypassed to enable a remote start, sometimes this isn't possible, it really depends on the make/model/year of car.

Total closure is possible, but its down to the make and model of car - it may prove tricky on CAN bus cars that have control modules in each door (Modern VAG for example have the door controller built into the window motor...this does the switches, mirror, indicator, airbag sensor and central locking as well).

Good new is most modern cars already have total closure/opening built in. Just press the lock button the remote and hold it (or put the key in teh door and hold it in the lock position)- it should wind up the windows, and press the open button and shold it will wind them all back down.

Last edited by ALi-B; 25 February 2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 25 February 2011, 10:57 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Its a 99 Turbo 2000 .. hmmm ..

I never leave it in gear anyway, as it has a turbo timer .. but surely if I buy a cat 1 alarm with a remote start feature, its not going to void anything ?
Old 25 February 2011, 11:02 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Toad have it as an optional extra, At least on the Ai606 I recall reading in the installer's manual that it invalidates it thatcham cat1 insurance certfication, even though it is a cat1 system.

A MY 99 UK Turbo 2000 will also have a chip-in key immobilser, not sure if a mapper can program the ECU to allow the car to start it without the key. An afermarket ECU would be an alternative.
Old 25 February 2011, 11:23 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Isn't it an offence to leave a motor vehicle running unattended in the UK.
Old 25 February 2011, 11:58 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Isn't it an offence to leave a motor vehicle running unattended in the UK.
That's my understanding
Old 25 February 2011, 12:10 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Toad have it as an optional extra, At least on the Ai606 I recall reading in the installer's manual that it invalidates it thatcham cat1 insurance certfication, even though it is a cat1 system.

A MY 99 UK Turbo 2000 will also have a chip-in key immobilser, not sure if a mapper can program the ECU to allow the car to start it without the key. An afermarket ECU would be an alternative.

No chip-in key on my car, or any of the other classics I've owned.
Old 25 February 2011, 12:17 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

You sure? ALL UK model Subarus registered after 1997 have it fitted. (unless modifed to have it removed/disabled)

Was trying to find a pic on google of the flasing LED on the dash, But this website came up trumps: http://www.rjes.com/html/my96-99_immobiliser.html
Old 25 February 2011, 12:21 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Regulation 107(2)(a). This states that no person shall cause or permit to be on any road any motor vehicle which is not attended by a person duly licensed to drive it unless the engine is stopped and the parking brake is effectively set. Exemptions to the requirements of this Regulation as to the stopping of the engine include a fire brigade vehicle, the engine of which is being used for any fire brigade purpose.
Old 25 February 2011, 12:23 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Hmm, non scooby related eh?
Old 25 February 2011, 12:33 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Meh! Its is only scooby related now he's said its for a scoob.

Call me facetious, but the general section doesn't really have the knowedge as its full of young'uns who think remote start is cool, and the security section will get you hounded via PM by alarm installers wanting to fit an alarm for you.
Old 25 February 2011, 12:39 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Had remote start on another of my cars for years, via a Clifford alarm. The transponder chip from the key has to be removed or duplicated and left glued near the ignition barrel beneath the cowling.
I don't leave my car in gear either, but had a close call when someone went to my car for something and knocked it into gear. The fail safe for this that Clifford put in is the same as a turbo timer, the car has to be left running before locking it up to enable the vehicle t be remote started next time.
Or it can be installed as an automatic, which requires no leave and lock up procedure.

Legalities, insurance don't like it, and nope it's not legal to leave the car running unattended. But it's lovely in the winter lol
Old 25 February 2011, 01:15 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I had it on an FTO - It was fab and the Clifford version. Didn't mention it to the insurance though, just told them the type of alarm (didn't realise it would be an issue) the alarm was aftermarket and from the US so ended up getting a seperate immobiliser fitted anyway.

The car would still start even with the second immobiliser. Used to scare people walking past quite a bit! But stayed locked and undrivable until you actually disabled the second immobiliser and put the key in.

Fab in winter, car would defrost and warm up nicely while sat in the car park. Never really used it on the road though, no point to be honest. Nice toy to have but really, not that parctical apart from in winter.

Also, FTO was tiptronic so no issues with it being in gear. I'd be more confident with it in a auto than a manual though.

5t.

EDIT - I didn't have to leave the car running at switch off to use remote start next time. You just turned off normally and locked up. Didn't even need to have the alarm set if you didn't want. I disabled BlackJax on it as well. Annoyed me when I got out for something I'd left in the house and drove off only to get 200yds down the road!

Last edited by fivetide; 25 February 2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 25 February 2011, 01:44 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Lol I loved my blackjax, gave me that last little peace of mind.
Was the fto an auto?
Old 25 February 2011, 01:50 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Sorry yes - tiptronic so full to semi auto. Brilliant brilliant box actually. Learned how you drove, instant geat changes and even recognised when you were going downhill and on the brakes and would change down a gear to give you more engine braking. Very clever on a 1995 car.

Seen the reviews of many similar boxes since on much newer cars and they don't seem half as good. delayed changes etc.

5t.
Old 25 February 2011, 01:50 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

a good installer should be able to sort the imobiliser issue with remote start.
Not sure how they get around cars that need the clutch depressing before they start, (more recent VAG cars / BMW's)

Richard
Old 25 February 2011, 01:59 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
You sure? ALL UK model Subarus registered after 1997 have it fitted. (unless modifed to have it removed/disabled)

Was trying to find a pic on google of the flasing LED on the dash, But this website came up trumps: http://www.rjes.com/html/my96-99_immobiliser.html

My key looks like that
Old 25 February 2011, 03:13 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
Sorry yes - tiptronic so full to semi auto. Brilliant brilliant box actually. Learned how you drove, instant geat changes and even recognised when you were going downhill and on the brakes and would change down a gear to give you more engine braking. Very clever on a 1995 car.

Seen the reviews of many similar boxes since on much newer cars and they don't seem half as good. delayed changes etc.

5t.
Yeah in which case, because of the ignition inhibitor on the gearbox it will be installed as an auto, with no other safety mechanism required.

Originally Posted by rsarjantson
a good installer should be able to sort the imobiliser issue with remote start.
Not sure how they get around cars that need the clutch depressing before they start, (more recent VAG cars / BMW's)

Richard
Yup most installers will simply remove the chip from the key and fit it by the ignition barrel.
Old 25 February 2011, 03:24 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Yeah in which case, because of the ignition inhibitor on the gearbox it will be installed as an auto, with no other safety mechanism required.
I did put that in my original post dude... even said that I'd be less comfy with it in a manual. I like to leave a car in gear if I can. Trust an auto to lock the box and I know brake cable failures are rare but I just feel better putting the car in gear. Hate to forget, press the button and have it lurch into the car/wall/nun in front.

5t.