Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Who do you use for contents insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2011, 02:07 AM
wrbhawk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who do you use for contents insurance?

Just wondered what sort of premium some of you guys are paying for you bulidings and contents insurance, and if you can recommend anyone who will cover contents out of the home.

Mines up for renewal and becuase I bought a new Rolex watch, I'm looking for contents insurance to cover it.

I need contents insurance that will cover me outside the home as well for when I wear it.

My renewal quote came in at £700 from £500 to cover the watch.
Old 25 February 2011, 06:55 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Yer I had this problem when I bought my 10 carat diamond stud earings, you are always going to struggle.....
Old 25 February 2011, 08:47 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I use More Than. You get the contents insurance free when you insure the building.
It's up to 75k for contents but you can add extras for the likes of your watch.
I find them very good. When my laptop had an accident, I had a new one within 5 hours of reporting the claim
Old 25 February 2011, 09:04 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Whoever meets my needs and is cheapest. Currently with Sheila's Wheels The missus engagement ring is a named item on the policy and is covered for loss, theft, damage etc. away from home.
Old 25 February 2011, 09:24 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Im with AA and mrs engagement ring as a named item with cover away from home, abroad, accidental damage was £10 extra a year lol. And that same increase meant my overall contents cover went up another £10k.
Old 25 February 2011, 09:39 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee247
I use More Than. You get the contents insurance free when you insure the building.
It's up to 75k for contents but you can add extras for the likes of your watch.
I find them very good. When my laptop had an accident, I had a new one within 5 hours of reporting the claim
We are with More Than and we made a claim recently for a water leak. I know we are talking contents here but it might be relevant.

Anything over £500 they send an assessor out - bit of a shame because I know a couple who claimed well over a grand for water damage and it was just paid there and then.

When the lady came she was OK but it was like she was constantly on the defensive - as if every word I said was a lie.

She did some measurements and entered the details on to her laptop and it automatically decided how much the repairs should cost - she was also a little rude about how it had actually happened.

As she left I mentioned that some friends had had a much higher claim accepted without all this fuss and she said "We are cheap, you get what you pay for"

In fairness they did pay up within a week - as it was Mrs EddScott went beserk and the insurance only just paid for the bathroom, my "new scoob" fund went on the kitchen
Old 25 February 2011, 10:20 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Liverpool & Victoria about £220 for the lot. £1000 for things away from home but you can nominate and pay extra. So much will depend on your Postcode. But L&V best value I could find by far.

dl
Old 25 February 2011, 12:30 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I would use a comparison website. We realised last year we were getting completely shafted by the AA and have saved hundreds.
Old 25 February 2011, 01:20 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mgcvk
I would use a comparison website. We realised last year we were getting completely shafted by the AA and have saved hundreds.
Change every year, between the comparison web sites and cash back sites (Quidco, Topcashback , etc.) always manage to knock at least £50 off the renewal.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ins...home-insurance

Martin Lewis has saved me a fortune since I discovered the web site. Deserves a knighthood
Old 25 February 2011, 01:30 PM
ChrisB

M&S - not the cheapest but they cover items up to £4000 without needing to declare, so very good for my bikes.

Can easily find cheaper basic renewal quotes but once you add some reasonably expensive bikes, other insurers generally want silly money.

Last edited by ChrisB; 25 February 2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 25 February 2011, 01:55 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

I was told that M&S were very good, no need to name valuables etc. - and John Lewis also do the same.... so I looked into it further.

Both M&S and John Lewis use AXA as their insurance provider - so I went directly to AXA.

I cannot recommend them enough.

Very quick and easy quote process (no need to guess rebuilding costs etc.), no need to name valuables (my watch collection - inc Rolex, my wife's diamonds, my expensive photographic kit, PCs, hifi, etc.) - they just cover it.

Check out AXA home insurance, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised:

http://www.axa.co.uk/insurance/home

DN