Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bill Turnbull, Did you really say that ?

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2011, 01:02 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bill Turnbull, Did you really say that ?

A classic did you say that moment

I was getting the kids breakfast and this was on BBC Breakfast News in the back ground, just finished interviewing Gilbert O'Sullivan and then they moved onto a piece about George Hudsperth, who had an incurable eye disease and how he was registered blind for 10 years and then a year ago his condition worsened and he went totally blind, they then went on to say he had regained his sight (one of these modern miracles etc etc)

So after this introduction they went live to Georges house Bill Turnbull says hello and thenb proceeds t reiterate his story saying the following
"You were registered Blind and lost your sight totally 5 or 6 months ago, you were in a pretty dark place"

It really was one of those double take moments, so I had to check I wasn't hearing things, kicks in at about 08:37

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/12505151
Old 21 February 2011, 01:31 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watched this but what part of the 36 fooking minutes do i need to look at ?
Old 21 February 2011, 01:45 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

8:37 like the op said, are you losing your sight?
Old 21 February 2011, 02:01 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

I am using ipod
Old 21 February 2011, 02:05 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ you in a dark place too
Old 21 February 2011, 04:02 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Reminds me of the Blue Peter presenter, talking to a blind person on the show about how well trained the blind person's dog was.

The dog was all over the shop, and the presenter says, "Look, he's not taking a blind bit of notice." Stunned silence.
Old 21 February 2011, 08:49 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

BBC said of Kubica's rally injury - his hand was partially severed
Old 21 February 2011, 11:51 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Years ago:
Johnny Vaughan & Denise van Outen co-presenting breakfast show talking about cooking & eating unusual animals,squirels,snakes etc....
This was not a faux pas,she said it deliberatly to embarase him...it worked a treat.
The conversation went something like this;

Denise says 'So Johnny you don't like eating squirel or snake.'

Johnny:'No it was horrible.'

Denise:'But you do like eating beaver.'

Brilliant!
Old 22 February 2011, 04:18 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

I made a bit of an error myself once. I was working at this womens house when she came back from the shops with a bag of charcoal, she had one arm and I said " do you need a hand?"

I didnt realise what I said until about 5 mins later.
Old 22 February 2011, 04:25 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

After me and the apprentice had installed a home cinema at an old polish couples house, when signing the paper work I noticed the old chap was left handed " A left hander" I said "statistically more intelligent" I added when the apprentice chipped in "yeah Hitler was left handed wasn't he?"

Didn't go down very well at all!

I slapped him all the way to the van!

Ads
Old 22 February 2011, 04:43 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Default The motherload!

http://www.independent.ie/incoming/i...s-2457064.html

May all your doughnuts look just like Fanny's'
As another radio broadcaster makes another embarrassing blooper this week, Kim Bielenberg looks back at some of the greatest on-air gaffes

Saturday December 11 2010

It is the one of the most common blunders in broadcasting. The BBC presenter James Naughtie caused hilarity on Monday when he tripped over his words while announcing an interview with Jeremy Hunt, UK culture secretary.

Somehow Naughtie, the urbane presenter of Radio 4's Today programme, let a letter slip forward and, with his clear-as-crystal Scottish enunciation, uttered the C-word that rhymes with Hunt.

He then giggled his way through the news headlines, before later apologising: "I am very sorry to anybody who thought it wasn't what they wanted to hear over breakfast. Needless to say, neither did I."

Just an hour later, during another Radio 4 programme, presenter Andrew Marr mentioned the slip. "We're not going to repeat it in quite the terms it happened," Marr promised -- and then promptly let the dreaded C-word slip out again.

Naughtie explained his blunder as a 'Spoonerism' -- a reference to a Victorian academic who unintentionally mixed up the first letters of words.

Dr Spooner famously toasted Queen Victoria at a ceremonial dinner by asking those present to "give three cheers for our queer old dean", and called a group of farmers "noble tons of soil".

Others explain slips with sexual connotations by referring to Sigmund Freud, who interpreted them as a disguised expression of a wish.

That is the only possible explanation for David Frost's remark to the 1970s sex goddess Raquel Welch: "Raquel, before I get into you, I must pause for this commercial break.''

One can only speculate what was going through George Bush's mind when he celebrated the growth of democracy in Iraq: "Who could have possibly envisioned an erection in Iraq at this point in history?"

The soccer commentator and Lyric FM present George Hamilton says verbal blunders are an occupational hazard for anyone contemplating a life in broadcasting.

"I remember once presenting Sports Stadium on RTE and talking about a pair of golfers "going after their *****" and the whole studio went into paroxysms of laughter.''

"There were two well-known golfers called Neil Coles and Bernard Hunt, and commentators were prone to mixing them up," said Hamilton.

George once got very worked up during an international match in the 1980s and remarked of a substitution: "He's pulling him off! The Spanish manager is pulling his captain off!"

In a similar vein, Jimmy Magee told viewers: "Brady's been playing inside Platini's shorts all night."

These unintentional double entendres were not nearly as unfortunate as the gaffe that befell the Golf Channel reporter Win McMurray recently.

As Tiger Woods tried to recapture his damaged reputation after affairs with a bevy of women, McMurry commented on one of his injuries: "Woods says he's been playing with a bad neck for about a month -- and thinks it could be a bulging dick.'' She explained later that she meant to says "disk".

Blunders such as this have been recorded from the earliest days of broadcasting, and even popped up on a cookery programme presented by the legendary cook Fanny Cradock and her husband Johnny.

On one occasion, Johnny was admiring his wife's baking skills. He turned with a straight face to the camera and offered the encouraging words: "May all your doughnuts look like Fanny's."

According to George Hamilton, presenters and their interview subjects, get caught out when they do not realise that they are live on air. During the Montreal Olympics, an athletics commentator on RTE started swearing, not realising he was live on air.

"You have to take the view that it could be live,'' says Hamilton.

CNN newscaster Kyra Phillips could have seen her career flushed down the pan, when the station beamed a speech by President George Bush on an anniversary of Hurricane Katrina.

Phillips kept her clip-on microphone on when she nipped out to the toilet. All of a a sudden, as George Bush attempted to apologise for the government's response to the hurricane, viewers were treated to the sound of the newscaster in the loo, having a right old gossip about her family with a friend, amid the sounds of flushing water, she even described her sister-in-law as a "control freak''.

Bush was himself prone to microphone malfunctions. Not realising his microphone was on at a press conference, he once turned to his vice president Dick Cheney and said: "There's Adam Clymer -- major league ******* -- from the New York Times.''

At the BBC News Channel, newsreader Peter Sissons was caught out when he did not realise a camera was on him as a clip of the Weakest Link presenter Anne Robinson was shown. Live on air he remarked, somewhat ungallantly: "That's not Anne Robinson, is it? Jesus Christ! She's even got new ****!"

All too frequently it is the guests, rather than the presenters, who cause the embarrassment.

In his Just-A-Minute Quiz on 2FM Larry Gogan asked a contestant: "Name the BBC Grand Prix commentator? I'll give you a hint -- it's something you suck.''

Contestant: "Oh, Dickie Davies.'' (Murray Walker was the correct answer).

After a caller got all 18 of his questions wrong, Larry diplomatically suggested, "Ah sure, the questions today didn't really suit you, did they?''

Caller: "Ah, f**k off Larry. You're only an old b****x!''

Most of the gaffes involving double entendres are entirely innocent, and involve commentators stringing together sentences that, in hindsight, they probably regret.

The BBC commentator Harry Carpenter was clearly touched by one particular incident as he described the scene after the 1977 Oxford-Cambridge Boat Race: "Ah, isn't that nice? The wife of the Cambridge president is kissing the *** of the Oxford crew."

When these mishaps occur, sometimes the presenters find it impossible to avoid fits of laughter. The cricket commentators Brian Johnston and Jonathan Agnew were overcome with mirth when Agnew talked about bowler Ian Botham's failure "to get his leg over''.

The laughter in the commentary box continued for minutes and can now be heard on YouTube.

It was Johnston who produced perhaps the most famous line of unintentional ribald commentary, as the West Indian Michael Holding bowled to Englishman Peter Willey: "The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey."

Most of George Hamilton's gems, lovingly collected on websites such as dangerhere.com, do not involve double entrendres, but they are memorable nevertheless.

Who will forget the time the RTE commentator informed the nation: "Ireland have got to contain the brothers Baggio . . . the Baggio brothers, of course, are not related.''

Mangled metaphors are often a hazard. George suggested: "Real Madrid are like a rabbit in the glare of the headlights in the face of Manchester United's attacks. But this rabbit comes with a suit of armour in the shape of two precious away goals."

It is a sad fact of broadcasting life that presenters are likely to be remembered for their gaffes as much as their pearls of wisdom, but George is not bothered by this at all.

"Many of these comments make people laugh and I am happy with that, especially at times like this.''
Old 24 February 2011, 10:59 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
BBC said of Kubica's rally injury - his hand was partially severed
Please explain!

Les
Old 24 February 2011, 12:30 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Please explain!

Les

Waits with baited breath....
Old 25 February 2011, 04:08 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think you can say that a hand might have been partially cut off.

Les
Old 25 February 2011, 05:10 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Leslie
I think you can say that a hand might have been partially cut off.

Les
I thought it was?

At least, I think it was a bit more than a trip to matron for an elastoplas.
Old 25 February 2011, 05:13 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its was partially severed
Old 25 February 2011, 05:28 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Vicar introducing Diana Dors (nee Diana Fluck) at the reception is careful to get her name right and so "I am delighted to introduce our guest Diana Clunt......"

dl
Old 26 February 2011, 12:09 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Its was partially severed
I just hope they can get it to work properly again.

Les