Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Buying a car with a Private Plate on

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2011, 11:20 AM
movi-star
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a car with a Private Plate on

Ive bought a car thats got a private plate on that the seller is retaining, can I drive it away on the original plates before the transfer paperwork back to the original plate is completed?
Old 15 February 2011, 11:29 AM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you just drive it on the private plate until the new mark is assigned.
Technically the owner shouldn't sell the car until he/she receives the new V5 back.
Old 15 February 2011, 11:44 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Previous owner should have put the plate on retention and BEFORE selling the car.

If you have no v5, you can't tax it.

The other issue is the new tax/v5 will get posted to the old owner. Unless you've filled in the v5, in which case you may get his retention certificate in your name! (I've had it happen)

The DVLA's cherished plate department is still stuck in the 1980's I think (can't even renew retentions on-line )
Old 15 February 2011, 11:58 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by movi-star
Ive bought a car thats got a private plate on that the seller is retaining, can I drive it away on the original plates before the transfer paperwork back to the original plate is completed?
I would have thought that until the private plate is put on retention and the car is officially registered again on it original plates, that you cannot drive it legally on the road. As was said, he should have put the plate on retention before end then he could have put the original licence plates back on it before you bought it.

Make sure you don't get stuck for the transfer or retention fees.

You could visit your local DVLA office-they can be very helpful.

Les
Old 15 February 2011, 12:09 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

I've just re-read you original post and that you've already bought it!

Really as you've already taken ownership of the car, before the V5 has come back with the original mark, then you become the legal owner of the private plate!

On the back of the retention form it says;

Conditions
.you must not sell or get rid of the vehicle until you receive a replacement V5C. If you do sell or get rid of the vehicle before you get a replacement V5C, the new keeper is entitled to keep the vehicle registration number if they want to

Retention form can be seen here
Old 15 February 2011, 12:36 PM
movi-star
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies.

Ive bought the car but not collected it yet, the owner has filled in all the transfer paperwork, but this could take 10 days or so to complete.

By the sounds of it I could drive it away with the Private plate on, insure it with the private plate, then once the transfer is complete change the plates to its original number and inform my insurance. Its tax & tested already.
Old 15 February 2011, 12:45 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies.

Ive bought the car but not collected it yet, the owner has filled in all the transfer paperwork, but this could take 10 days or so to complete.

By the sounds of it I could drive it away with the Private plate on, insure it with the private plate, then once the transfer is complete change the plates to its original number, sell the private ones back to the seller, and inform my insurance. Its tax & tested already.
There, added a bit to help you out..

When you say the owner has filled in the transfer paperwork, did he transfer it with the old number then?
Old 15 February 2011, 12:48 PM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

I bought a car from a member on here who had his private plate on it.

I picked up the car but not the V5 as that had been sent off for plate transfer, I drove the car with his plate on it until he sent me the new V5, new tax disk, new MOT and the letter showing the new plate details.

I changed the plates to those shown on the letter from the DVLA (not necessarily the 'old' plate) and sent the private plates back to the seller.

You cannot put the old plates back on the car until the letter from the DVLA is received as like i stated above they might not give the car it's old ID back. You would be driving the car on false plates which is a criminal offence.

Officially you should wait until the seller has done all the paperwork and the car has the plates on which it will be sold with.

Do not do the paperwork as the new owner as the number plate retention will come back in your name then you will have a fee to change the ownership of the plate
Old 15 February 2011, 01:13 PM
movi-star
Scooby Regular

I should clarify that I mean he's started the transfer paperwork regarding the private plate.

Thanks Kev_turbo, it sounds like I can drive it on the Private Plate, then once the t/f is complete put the old plate on.

Originally Posted by Nimbus
When you say the owner has filled in the transfer paperwork, did he transfer it with the old number then?
Old 15 February 2011, 01:25 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I bought mine from a dealer with a private plate on. A few weeks later they sent me the new plates through and all the associated paperwork, I just had to let the insurance know it had changed.

i was dubious about it at the time but it seemed to work ok. I'd get the seller to spring for the cost of the new plates though if you haven't haggled that bit already.

5t.
Old 15 February 2011, 01:26 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

You're not "supposed" to fella which is the DVLA advice. I've always moved the plate over to a retention certificate before selling my cars. TBH the existing owner is taking a chance as you may just keep the plate ...

Another issue is whether the owner has sent off the docs or taken them to a DVLA local office? I always do the latter as we have one local ... their advice was to transfer the plates over as soon as I left their offices.

TX.
Old 15 February 2011, 03:29 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
You're not "supposed" to fella which is the DVLA advice. I've always moved the plate over to a retention certificate before selling my cars. TBH the existing owner is taking a chance as you may just keep the plate ...

Another issue is whether the owner has sent off the docs or taken them to a DVLA local office? I always do the latter as we have one local ... their advice was to transfer the plates over as soon as I left their offices.

TX.
He can. If you see my above post when he takes ownership of the car he also becomes the owner of the registration (paperwork submitted or not)! Its up to the purchaser then to decide wether he wants to complete the transfer!
A retention cannot be done at a local office 'there and then' it can take anything from a week to 14 days to complete!

OP, you can drive the car on the private plate. When the paperwork gets sent to you with either the cars original mark or a replacement its just a case of changing plates, the new tax disc that comes with the paperwork and changing your insurance.

Unless you feel like keeping the reg, which you'd be entitled to do!
Old 15 February 2011, 09:23 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by blu-scoob
A retention cannot be done at a local office 'there and then' it can take anything from a week to 14 days to complete!
I can't see where I said it was immediate the Local Office complete all the paperwork though "there & then" + their advice was to swap the plates over straight away - I was there so can vouch for that! The alternative is sending the docs away where you have to wait for em to do something then send the lot back to you & then you change the plates ...

TX.
Old 15 February 2011, 09:31 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I hope your insurance are understanding and don't charge for detail changes. It is a messy one.

Could you not take the car with the number plate on and insure/tax etc it as normal when you get the V5 back in your name take the number plate off the car and add the previous owner as the Nominee on the plate or just do the full plate then?
Old 16 February 2011, 01:59 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies.

By the sounds of it I could drive it away with the Private plate on, insure it with the private plate, then once the transfer is complete change the plates to its original number and inform my insurance. Its tax & tested already.
Can't see why not. It is still registered under that plate at the moment. I still thing a visit to the DVLA office would sort you out on the spot.

Les
Old 16 February 2011, 02:17 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

If done by the book, the seller should have re-registered the car and received the new V5/docs before selling the vehicle. But if people want to "rush" the system then a cetain amount of trust is involved.

I bought a Discovery 3 that had a private plate on it with a value worth twice the car.... he knew me via work contacts (not actual friends) so we shook on it that I'd allow the transfer to be completed after I took delivery of the car (some 2 weeks later)

I must be a mug...

Did enjoy having such a posh plate for those 2 weeks though...
Old 17 February 2011, 11:11 AM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
I can't see where I said it was immediate the Local Office complete all the paperwork though "there & then" + their advice was to swap the plates over straight away - I was there so can vouch for that! The alternative is sending the docs away where you have to wait for em to do something then send the lot back to you & then you change the plates ...

TX.
Neither did I

Maybe for a transfer ON to a car when you've already got the V778, then you can go into the local office, hand the forms in to put the new plate on the car!
If you're taking a plate OFF a car for retention it takes roughly a week to supply you with the replacement mark as this is supplied by DVLA in Swansea, not the local office. (How can they advise you to swap the plates if you don't know what the replacement mark is going to be? Its not always the vehicles original mark) I know I've done it about 6 times now so can definitely vouch for that!! I always take my docs to the local DVLA office as its only round the corner from me!

If the OP buys the car before the seller receives the new V5 then the mark becomes his!!

Last edited by BLU; 17 February 2011 at 11:12 AM.