Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New car prices...nuts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2011, 05:19 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default New car prices...nuts!!!

I know a lot of people don't have a mindset of understanding what a car actually costs.They just think £199 a month or something.Thought things would be changing with less credit around

I look at things a bit differently.Normally buy outright,second hand.

Nearly fell off my chair today when I saw an advert for a Ford Focus £22,745!!! what the hell! and its rival,Golf GTD £24,950!

Who the hell spends nearly £23,000 on a diesel ford focus I know I'm a bit out of touch

Think I'd still prefer to wait two years and pick one up for half that.Just seemed extortionate for pretty bog standard car fare (get a low mileage merc ,beemer or Audi for that!)

Probably posted in wrong section...apologies
Old 16 January 2011, 05:49 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On May 4th in the year of our Lord, 2000, I paid damned near £22,000 for a Subaru Impreza Wagon!!!!

I think cars are remarkably cheap these days ......
Old 16 January 2011, 06:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Both Ford, and Vauxhall, put up the prices of their cars in the UK last year due to the recession, with a view to subsidising the European market, since the UK has, historically, just endured any price.

Ford put their prices up THREE times in a year.

As fJr Pete's Subaru, I paid £22000 for my UK saloon in 1998. At the time, the hotter, better equipped STi's were going for less than £18,000 in Japan.

We asked why, and were told, "It's the cost of shipping them to you......."

Fair enough, you'd think?

Then someone noticed the Honda Civic: made in the UK, the Type R sold here for nearly £19000. The hotter, better equipped version, made here, sold in Japan for, yes, you guessed it, £14000.

Getting the picture yet?

If we roll over and get bummed on prices, the manufactrurers WILL rip us off and use us to subsidise other markets. Especially the Japs, who don't refer to the UK as "Treasure Island" for nothing
Old 16 January 2011, 06:46 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Well i had one of those letters from my dealer the other day,Great News we have an exclusive offer for you being one of our valued customers,just phone or visit our showroom to find out quoting ref number etc..Yea right the way things are going with fuel and insurance,i'm coming close to taking the car off the road.It's not so much the money,i'm just soooooooo fed up with being shafted in this country..I might buy a road legal quad bike,what's the insurance on them,or do they shaft you just the same...
Old 16 January 2011, 07:38 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Theyll charge what they want , were not spending hugely on public transport and even if we did people wouldnt use it
Old 16 January 2011, 07:39 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
cars these days are a complete waste on money. men see them as a dick extension. You can enjoy them because al the gov do is take your money so the only people now into cars are those who just pass their test or born again virgins aka GEEKS!
I bought a Subaru because it was enjoyment,just to drive out to some b roads and take a blast,then do a casual cruise to the coast,never really seen it as a ***** extension.Scoob as been off the road,Car i drive now probably will be..I think owning a car is become a big headache to people now,speed traps everywhere,traffic light cams,every effing cam to catch a motorist.pot holed roads,massive speed bumps,high insurance,high fuel,own a 4x4,we will tax the pants off you..

Take me back to the fiesta xr2,cosworth days..
Old 16 January 2011, 07:41 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The vast majority of new cars on thwe road are now company cars......they are about the only people who can afford new, and THEY don't pay what you and I would
Old 16 January 2011, 07:52 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

But there is a question of supply and demand is there not?

If people didn't buy new cars the price would have to come down, no?

No good saying car X is £23K if no one buys it.

Following waht Alcazar said, I'm sure there was a time when the MGF built in the UK, sold in Japan brand new, then while brand new, imported back to the UK as a grey import was cheaper than buying it brand new in the UK.

Cars last so well these days its such a poor choice to buy a car brand new. Think about it, when the plate reg changed from the year letter going from one side to the other, within a couple of years it was rare to see the old reg cars (old X and Y reg capris and granadas and what not) We are now nearly 11 years into the "new" plate system and its very common to see pre-fix style plates - both our cars are prefix plates and neither are about to fall apart due to age.

And how many of us buy a new car because we need it or because next door just bought a new car. Those endless barret home estates where it seems cars are only sold in silver? Just another brick in the credit wall.
Old 16 January 2011, 07:56 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
The vast majority of new cars on thwe road are now company cars......they are about the only people who can afford new, and THEY don't pay what you and I would
My mate just gave up his vw golf sport 24 grands worth company car.Said he had enough of the job,they can have the car back.... Now he is driving a truck in Europe,i guess he still gets to travel on free fuel ,was in florence last i spoke to him...
Old 16 January 2011, 08:04 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im also amazed at the price of new "standard" cars
i looked at a corsa diesel the other day 11k

Last edited by paulwrxboro; 16 January 2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 16 January 2011, 08:14 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Plus they're boring Audi's and BMW's for gods sake. I'd rather own something unreliable with a little character
Old 16 January 2011, 08:32 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
But there is a question of supply and demand is there not?

If people didn't buy new cars the price would have to come down, no?

No good saying car X is £23K if no one buys it.

Following waht Alcazar said, I'm sure there was a time when the MGF built in the UK, sold in Japan brand new, then while brand new, imported back to the UK as a grey import was cheaper than buying it brand new in the UK.

Cars last so well these days its such a poor choice to buy a car brand new. Think about it, when the plate reg changed from the year letter going from one side to the other, within a couple of years it was rare to see the old reg cars (old X and Y reg capris and granadas and what not) We are now nearly 11 years into the "new" plate system and its very common to see pre-fix style plates - both our cars are prefix plates and neither are about to fall apart due to age.

And how many of us buy a new car because we need it or because next door just bought a new car. Those endless barret home estates where it seems cars are only sold in silver? Just another brick in the credit wall.

A bit of a generalisation perhaps? I have bought a new car for the first time in about 15 years, on the whole I prefer to buy about 18 months old for obvious reasons.
It just happened that I really needed/wanted to change my car and the car I wanted has only just come out so no second hand ones available.

And btw I don't live in a Barratt home and I don't believe in credit.

Also don't forget

1) Unless somebody buys a new car you would never have a second hand car to buy. So perhaps you should be thanking me?

2) For cars like Fords I can't believe anyone would pay rrp, they usually offer discounts.
Old 16 January 2011, 09:01 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

In 2008 I bought a 3 month old Golf GT Sport 170TDI. Sepc showed a brand new list price of approx £21.5k.

Skip to 2010, and the exact same spec on a MK6 GTD 170TDI came to over £28k.
Old 16 January 2011, 10:25 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Cars like furniture & food have to have a high RRP for a period so they can discount them to achieve the required profit.

They were just a bit slower on the uptake