Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone had gastoenteritus.

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2011, 08:37 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone had gastoenteritus.

What was it like, how long did it last, and how long did it take to get your appetitie back?
Old 07 January 2011, 08:49 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Yes a few years ago, it was fairly bad, I reckon it took me well over a month to be eating again how I was before, maybe even 2 months TBH.

Was off work for 7 days, prior to that never had a day off sick in my life.

Doc told me there was not a lot he could give me. Told me to drink actimel type stuff twice a day (probably did **** all) and to drink lots of water, and eat plain foods, toast, chicken soup, boiled rice, more soup etc etc.

On the plus side, I spent about 4 days on my Xbox!
Old 07 January 2011, 09:56 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I had it a fair few years ago.

I was that bad I had to........ actually I will spare the details!

Basically it took me months to get back to 'normal' health. I was in hospital for a few days too.
I started going into kidney failure as my body literally wasn't getting any food or fluids. VERY bad times.

I'm rather slim anyway, and to say I lost a 1/3 of my body weight showed how ill I really had been.

Good luck!
Old 07 January 2011, 10:03 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had it about 10 years ago, I spent the first 7 days vomiting into the sink whilst on the toilet painting the toilet brown. It took me about 3 weeks to recover and I ended up looking like a holocaust victim .
Old 07 January 2011, 10:12 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
I had it about 10 years ago, I spent the first 7 days vomiting into the sink whilst on the toilet painting the toilet brown. It took me about 3 weeks to recover and I ended up looking like a holocaust victim .
It's awful isn't it?!

What made me feel worse was that nobody said anything to me, I honestly think that maybe the thought I had done it to myself (anorexia)!
Old 07 January 2011, 11:41 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
It's awful isn't it?!

What made me feel worse was that nobody said anything to me, I honestly think that maybe the thought I had done it to myself (anorexia)!
I had a fair idea where I had caught it from as I was canoeing through some pretty murky water the weekend before. I can still remember my boss ringing and telling me a stomach bug would not last more than 72 hours whilst I was sat on the toilet with bile dripping out of my nose
Old 07 January 2011, 11:47 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Good way to lose weight!
Old 07 January 2011, 12:18 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Had this in my teens sailing small boat with parents from Ramsgate to Ostend , think it was a dodgy jam doughnut mixed with sea sickness and good knows what else .
Took us 2 maybe 3 days to get there and i was spewing from both ends for most of the trip , horror story ! There was talk of being winched off by helicopter at one point . Worst ever , so far
Old 07 January 2011, 12:20 PM
graeme jones
Scooby Regular

My Mrs was admitted to A+E as she collapsed with it after getting back from Tunisia-dirty *******s.
Old 07 January 2011, 12:25 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
bloody awful way to lose weight!
Edited for accuracy
Old 07 January 2011, 01:13 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

I would not wish it on my worst enemy.Spend 3 weeks in hospital with it.Worst time of my life.Hysteria i know how you felt.
Old 07 January 2011, 01:37 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speye91
I would not wish it on my worst enemy.Spend 3 weeks in hospital with it.Worst time of my life.Hysteria i know how you felt.
Wow! Three weeks?! You must have had it bad! I feel your pain.
Old 07 January 2011, 02:29 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

I've had it as well, talk about a ring of fire it's a sad state of affairs when it comes down to cleaning your butt by dabbing it with cotton wool, even then it's still bloody painfull.
Old 07 January 2011, 03:01 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
Wow! Three weeks?! You must have had it bad! I feel your pain.
Yip i was on a drip for 2 weeks.took about 2 months to recover.I was like a skeleton.Turns out the Pub i had been drinking in,had a water treatment place about 400yds away,and it contaminated the water supply to the pub.
I hope i never have to experience that again.
Old 07 January 2011, 03:08 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Worst one for me was a bout of food poisoning, lasted three weeks, when the squits and the sickness had gone, I suffered agonising bowel cramps about every half hour that doubled me up and brought mme out in a sweat.

Turned out my appendix was grumbling, but I was so weak by then, they didn't want to remove it.

Awful.
Old 07 January 2011, 03:08 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

There are quite a few types of gastroenteritis, it all depedns on that's causing it
Old 07 January 2011, 03:10 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Whatever causes it, it won't be pleasant for sure!

Les
Old 07 January 2011, 03:20 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
I've had it as well, talk about a ring of fire it's a sad state of affairs when it comes down to cleaning your butt by dabbing it with cotton wool, even then it's still bloody painfull.
You need a water jet like they have in Arab countries.
Old 07 January 2011, 04:59 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
You need a water jet like they have in Arab countries.
I thought they used their hands?
Old 07 January 2011, 05:05 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Basically the day after boxing day i had the worst diahorea ever. Collapsed as i got off the toilet, and spent a day in hospital. Diahorea for three days afterwards. No other symptoms except.

No appetitie at all. Slowly coming back, but its been 10 days.
Down to under 10st.
Blood pressure down to 83/50.

Previously i have never had more than two days off work. I've been signed off for two weeks.

Scary,scary,scary. Why does it take so long for your appetitie to come back?

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 07 January 2011, 05:10 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

I had it when I was seven and was taken into hospital where I stayed for 10days and was on a drip. Was awful and my stomach has never been right since.

Hope you get better soon.
Old 07 January 2011, 05:26 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
Basically the day after boxing day i had the worst diahorea ever. Collapsed as i got off the toilet, and spent a day in hospital. Diahorea for three days afterwards. No other symptoms except.

No appetitie at all. Slowly coming back, but its been 10 days.
Down to under 10st.
Blood pressure down to 83/50.

Previously i have never had more than two days off work. I've been signed off for two weeks.

Scary,scary,scary. Why does it take so long for your appetitie to come back?

Thanks for all the replies.
I couldn't even keep milk down,ended up de-hydrated,and when it came to using the toilet,it was just like ,well im not going to say as it's teatime.But it wasn't nice,neither was the internal examination that i had to endure.
Old 07 January 2011, 07:07 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't even keep milk down,ended up de-hydrated,and when it came to using the toilet,it was just like ,well im not going to say as it's teatime.But it wasn't nice,neither was the internal examination that i had to endure.
Same here, couldn't keep any food or even water in shall we say. I was off work for weeks because of it, and it lead to months of tests to find out if there was anything more serious going on.

The first couple of weeks were by far the worst, but even by the time I was able to keep food in for a little while, I had no appetite anyway. I took over a couple of months before I started eating almost properly again.

To avoid the docs having to take more action to get anything into me, I was told regardless of how quickly I was getting rid of water, to keep drinking it anyway. So OP, if you really can't face/keep food down, at least try to drink water.
Old 07 January 2011, 07:11 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies. 90% of the worry is not knowing.
Old 07 January 2011, 07:20 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Damm,reading all these's stories is taking me back to 3 years ago at christmas period,i got the horrid firing from both ends and just presumed it was a sickness bug till i collapsed after 3 days of it together with not eating/drinking at which point was told by doc's i had gastoenteritus and spent the next week in with kidney infection to boot.
It was literally month's before i was back anything like i had been,lost a total of 2 1/2 stone during the ordeal and would sooner forget about it again too.
Old 07 January 2011, 07:34 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

When i had it,i was a healthy 12 stone.I ended up at my lowest weight of 7 stone.I thought i was dying with the Stomach cramps.My mam was in tears watching the amount of pain i was in.
I started my first ever job 2 weeks prior to this,ended up loosing my job as it took 2 months to recover to a level where i was fit to work.

Nothing worse than the feeling of wanting to go,spending hours sitting there,bucket infront,as the arris was in prime position,only for a slight dribble of clear jelly stuff to pass.The need to go was still there too.Sorry for the graphic info,but thats how bad it was.
Old 07 January 2011, 07:49 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

When i had it,i was a healthy 12 stone.I ended up at my lowest weight of 7 stone.I thought i was dying with the Stomach cramps.My mam was in tears watching the amount of pain i was in.
I started my first ever job 2 weeks prior to this,ended up loosing my job as it took 2 months to recover to a level where i was fit to work.

Nothing worse than the feeling of wanting to go,spending hours sitting there,bucket infront,as the arris was in prime position,only for a slight dribble of clear jelly stuff to pass.The need to go was still there too.Sorry for the graphic info,but thats how bad it was.
Know that exact feeling mate,ive never spent so much on the bleeding toilet and i too remember the cramps all to well along a temperature of over 40
Old 08 January 2011, 06:14 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

I'm down to a weight i was in my early teens. When i look in the mirror, its all bones. Its times like this you appreciate your friends and family.
Old 16 January 2011, 11:38 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Last week I had the worst diarrhea I've had in years.

Don't know what happened but when I went to bed I felt restless and my heart was racing a little. Couldn't sleep.

Then about 2am I felt like I may need to go to the toilet - didn't feel like my **** was about to explode though.

So went for a dump and it was like some cork popped on a never ending source of diarrhea.

I was staying in a staff house run by my company, and the walls are extremely thin and the toilet door doesn't even shut properly.

I've was quite conscious of the noise - there being others asleep- so I 'clenched myself' and stood up to turn the tap on to 'mask' the sound. Unfortunately so watery was the diarrhea that I was unable to form a 'seal' and that made a bit of a mess on the floor.

Nightmare.

I couldn't believe how much came out.

It lasted for what seemed like hours and I made several trips to the toilet.

I had a flight to catch at 5am, and I didn't feel good at all. I got up with no sleep feeling shaky, sweating, and weak.

Even though I felt rough, by some miracle the diarrhea didn't last. I didn't eat much for a couple of days but thank God it was not proper gastro as I feared.

It was a week later that I took my first dump again.