Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Paying for stuff in Sri Lanka during my Honeymoon???

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2011, 07:39 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Paying for stuff in Sri Lanka during my Honeymoon???

I'm going to Sri Lanka in a couple of weeks and i'm a little unsure about what to do with the cash side of things.
My usual Holiday is somewhere which uses the Euro and as i normally only go for a week, i take as many Euros as i need.
My Honeymoon is 2 weeks and as such, i won't be taking enough cash to cover 14 days (i don't even know if you can get Sri Lanka money over here?). What is the way for ward? Travelers cheques or do i get a credit card?
Any help or experiancemuch appreciated
Old 09 January 2011, 07:58 PM
200sex
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

travelers cheques easy if they get lost they will send new ones out to you next day and credit card would cost a bomb everytime you used it

Last edited by 200sex; 09 January 2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09 January 2011, 08:32 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

What's a travel cheque? Is that something cavemen used to use when they went on holiday?
Old 09 January 2011, 09:48 PM
Sosbanite
Scooby Regular

Take some local currency to get you started - you may well have to order your Sri Lankan rupees in advance from your currency supplier as they probably will not keep them in stock.
You can then look at prepaid travel debit cards (which have pretty much superceded travellers cheques) for the rest.
Avoid using debit or credit cards as you will get charged a fee per transaction by your bank which will be in the region of 1.50 - 3.00 pounds (Some Santander accounts are an exception to this).

HTH.
Old 09 January 2011, 09:56 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

When I went you had to change your currency up at Columbo airport. I went straight from £'s to Rupees.

Be warned that if you transfer from the airport to your hotel is by car, there'll be dozens of guys hanging around the exit just waiting to lift your luggage into the boot. Next thing a hand will come out and will expect a tip. Our driver laughed and said 'Welcome to Sri Lanka!!!'

Fantastic place. Well recommended. Enjoy
Old 09 January 2011, 10:02 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Do not change lots at the airport, the exchange rate is terrible, get just enough for the cab and a few drinks etc. If I remember correctly you cannot get their currency in the U.K. Get the cab driver to stop at an exchange they know the best places.

When I went I just took my money in Sterling and changed it up as I went, the hotel I stayed in gave a very good rate. When I ran out as you do I just used my cash card £3 or so isn't a fortune.

Oh, and if you offer the cab drivers a couple of quid they let you drive they took took (sp) things, best laugh I had in years.
Old 09 January 2011, 10:21 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

I'd been led to believe that getting their currency over here wasn't an option. You say you took sterling - if i was to go into an exchange with my visa debit card, am i right in assuming that i could exchange £1k for instance for the £3 mentioned above?
Can you tell i'm good at this stuff??
Old 09 January 2011, 10:36 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

I changed it in the hotel. Rate was fine and of course it was the most convenient.

For driving, I paid approx £20 a day to have a permanent car and driver, 24/7.

He took us anywhere and everywhere we wanted to go, gas was extra but not bad. The hotels we stayed at put him up for £1 per night. Included bed and food for him. Sorted.

However the only place I have seen more road accidents was Vietnam. Absolutely crazy!!

Pood myself the first time a HGV overtook us, on a single carriageway! People honk their horns to say, "Get out of the way! Coming through!"

Loved it.

Last edited by AsifScoob; 09 January 2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09 January 2011, 11:51 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
I'd been led to believe that getting their currency over here wasn't an option. You say you took sterling - if i was to go into an exchange with my visa debit card, am i right in assuming that i could exchange £1k for instance for the £3 mentioned above?
Can you tell i'm good at this stuff??
I never used my debit card in an exchange, just cash, and you will be going some to spend £1000 over there.

The £3 or whatever it is was a charge the bank levied for using my card abroad, there are ATMs everywhere, with an English option as well.
Old 10 January 2011, 12:32 AM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take US Dollars, they prefer them at the airport etc and are easy to get changed. On our stop over coming back from Singapore/Dubai in August we changed to dollars. All of the shops in the Airport for starters accept dollars but will give you the change in whole dollars and ruppees in the change (worth fack all in lower denominations)
Old 10 January 2011, 07:00 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

With HSBC you will pay far less than other cards and in most places have option to pay in £s at a much better exchange rate than money exchanges.
Old 10 January 2011, 12:30 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

if you have time - open an ICICI bank account - there's a few branches in the UK. I know they don't charge if you use their debit card in India - might be the same case in Sri Lanka
Old 10 January 2011, 12:43 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Thanks for all the input everyone. I get the impression that our destination will be fairly low cost from what you have said. One thing i failed to mention is that we're going fully inclusive in which case it's quite likely that £500 converted into USD would be the way forward?
Old 10 January 2011, 12:47 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

When I used to run the imprest for a trip on the VC10's I was warned not to leave Sri Lanka with any local cash since it was very difficult to get anyone to change it back.

We were advised to change any left over at Colombo airport before we took off to come back.

Les
Old 10 January 2011, 03:17 PM
Lady Luck
Scooby Regular

When I went to Morocco, it had a closed currency. We took ike £100 each in euros to change in to their currency on us and then our bank cards.

We only really needed to pay for trips and drinks while on trips so just drew cash out of the hotel cash machine. The charges were negligible really as we were told not many hotels over there will cash T.C's and we didn't once see a bureau de change, like you would see on every street corner in say Majorca.

I'd check out the bank vs credit card and then take those and use them. You can pay for excursions with them in resort too, to help.
Old 10 January 2011, 11:58 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

I've emailed the Hotel to ask them if they exchange travellers cheques and if they will take USD.
I don't have a Credit card but have a Visa Debit - are these "as accepted" as Visa Credit cards?
Old 11 January 2011, 12:33 AM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

You might need to inform your bank before you go, just in case they have an international block as default.
Old 11 January 2011, 12:42 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Note to self - only get married the once cos these posh holidays are way too much like hard work
Old 11 January 2011, 12:50 AM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Note to self - only get married the once cos these posh holidays are way too much like hard work
You will have a wicked time, don't worry. Where are you staying by the way? The Taj Hotels are generally considered the nicest out there.

The one in Columbo has just been refurbished and is looking very nice. The other one in Bentotta is also very good.

Are you doing a tour around?

If I can dig up the name of the firm I used for the car and driver are you interested? as said before I paid probably about £25 per day, but he was available 24/7, plus more importantly, he knows where to go and where not to go.

Asif
Old 11 January 2011, 01:06 AM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Oh and dont let the army on the runway put you off

Airport in the early morning, army had wandered off by this point surprisingly. We ended up sleeping on the floor of the business lounge when all of the family rooms for stop overs were taken. Decent coffee shop above the stairs too

Last edited by brendy76; 11 January 2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 11 January 2011, 11:17 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

You will have a wicked time, don't worry. Where are you staying by the way? The Taj Hotels are generally considered the nicest out there.

The one in Columbo has just been refurbished and is looking very nice. The other one in Bentotta is also very good.

Are you doing a tour around?
We are staying at the Hotel Kani Lanka near Kalutara towards the south west of the island. The only thing we've actually got planned is a visit the the Elephant sanctuary, but that's for the other half really. I'm not one for getting around when i'm on my hols but i'm sure i'll get dragged somewhere
Old 11 January 2011, 08:50 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

We are staying at the Hotel Kani Lanka near Kalutara towards the south west of the island. The only thing we've actually got planned is a visit the the Elephant sanctuary, but that's for the other half really. I'm not one for getting around when i'm on my hols but i'm sure i'll get dragged somewhere
Back in 2005 there were a coupleof turtle sancturies on that part of the island, as they had taken a beating in the Tsunami (like everything else of course)

I would highly recommend a visit to one, as the creatures are absolutely beautiful! Galle is not too far from there either, another good spot.