Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why do bikers............?

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2011, 08:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Why do bikers............?

..........sit at junctions CONSTANTLY revving their engines?

Do they stall if you let 'em tickover, or is it more of the "look at me" mentality all bikers seem to share?
Old 03 January 2011, 08:15 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bloody good question mate,ive often looked at them thinking WTF are you doing that for?
Old 03 January 2011, 08:17 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it starts at an early age riding mopeds, also with the inability to maintain a steady throttle, and feeling the need to go full open, full closed constantly too while riding up the road.
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Yep, watched one this morning doing it, he was also wearing a leather clown suit.....it REALLY WAS the only way I could describe the colour combination. ..

They seem to NEED to be looked at, but you can't tell who is behind the helmet so WHY BOTHER?

Bikers...........grow up!
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
..........sit at junctions CONSTANTLY revving their engines?

Do they stall if you let 'em tickover, or is it more of the "look at me" mentality all bikers seem to share?
Bit like impreza drivers who like to listen to their dustbin sized back boxes, dump valves, induction kits and anti-lag you mean
Old 03 January 2011, 08:24 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Bit like impreza drivers who like to listen to their dustbin sized back boxes, dump valves, induction kits and anti-lag you mean
Better than sticking there peckers up boys bum's like you gayer
Old 03 January 2011, 08:46 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

same when they arrive home revving the t1ts of it when they parking up,is this to show how hard they are or is it "im home love get tea on table"
Old 03 January 2011, 09:12 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules

couldnt of said it better my self
Old 03 January 2011, 09:13 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
BNP fan?
Old 03 January 2011, 09:20 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

How would you like to be compared to PSLewis but he had a thread saying the same thing running a few years back-i cant be arsed to go search for it tho -but i guess he will be along at some stage to also remind you.
Old 03 January 2011, 09:40 PM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

a guy whos garage is next to my house likes to get his out every other day and just rev the ***** of it for about 10 mins then put it away i think he thinks he is doing it some good giving it a run up as he only rides it in sunny weather but thrashing it stood still from stone cold cant be good for it
Old 03 January 2011, 09:44 PM
classic scooby
Scooby Regular

i had a guy pull up beside me on his bike revving the **** out of it waiting for the lights to go green i think he saw me and thought i'll beat this guy at the lights in his scooby,anyway when the lights actually turned green i booted it away only to look in my mirror and saw the guy still sat there,HE HAD STALLED IT LOL,i nearly hit the kerb pissing myself laughin
Old 03 January 2011, 09:55 PM
Nutzz
Scooby Regular

I only rev my bike when I am going fast and run out of gear, as stationary there is no load on the engine................................unless rolling burn outs are the order of the day menu
Old 03 January 2011, 10:13 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I'm not sure the car next to me has seen me (if I've filtered up to the front and they may not have noticed) I'll blip the throttle to make sure. I don't sit there revving the nuts off it though.
Old 03 January 2011, 10:28 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

If I did what modern plonkers do with cranking open the throttle ***** nilly on one of my old Ariel Red Hunters it would back fire, frightening dogs and small children and sending any nearby "gangsta" running for cover

Usually it goes a Bit like this: "dug dug dug dug dug BANG dug dug dug dug dug BANG BANG, splutter dug BANG" ....then followed by silence.......After that blasphemy and frantic kicking of the kick-starter, then a yelp of pain when the b*tch kicks back because I left the ignition timing too advanced (mappable ignition timing...via my left thumb ).

The Scott was a similar affair, but involved billowing smoke clouds that would cause the met office to issue a local weather warning, and usually on the third attempt at starting, the ratchet finger on the kick start pings off, landing anywhere between the gutter and the centre of the road. So pardon me if I keep the revs up on a vintage bike....it took me half an hour to get it started, I'll be buggered if it stalls now

Now if its a modern power ranger bike...just no need to keep revving it (I prefer to wave my ***** instead - it gets a bigger reaction ), I don't even need to rev my RD500, even though its 28 years old, it idles like a dream, and it doesn't stall even though its a gutless 2 stroke.

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 January 2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03 January 2011, 10:35 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
If I did what modern plonkers do with cranking open the throttle ***** nilly on one of my old Ariel Red Hunters it would back fire, frightening dogs and small children and sending any nearby "gangsta" running for cover

Usually it goes a Bit like this: "dug dug dug dug dug BANG dug dug dug dug dug BANG BANG, splutter dug BANG" ....then followed by silence.......After that blasphemy and frantic kicking of the kick-starter, then a yelp of pain when the b*tch kicks back because I left the ignition timing too advanced (mappable ignition timing...via my left thumb ).

The Scott was a similar affair, but involved billowing smoke clouds that would cause the met office to issue a local weather warning, and usually on the third attempt at starting, the ratchet finger on the kick start pings off, landing anywhere between the gutter and the centre of the road. So pardon me if I keep the revs up on a vintage bike....it took me half an hour to get it started, I'll be buggered if it stalls now

Now if its a modern power ranger bike...just no need to keep revving it (I prefer to wave my ***** instead - it gets a bigger reaction ), I don't even need to rev my RD500, even though its 28 years old, it idles like a dream, and it doesn't stall even though its a gutless 2 stroke.
How does it go again ALi-B
Old 03 January 2011, 10:36 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
....... is it more of the "look at me" mentality all bikers seem to share?
Is that the same as ALL Impreza drivers being chavs? Generalise much?

Don't paint everyone with the same brush.

5t.
Old 03 January 2011, 10:39 PM
Nutzz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide

5t.
You mean my impizza does not do rolling burnouts.......................
Old 03 January 2011, 10:44 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

5t.

That's great, but why do they do it ? surely there is a reason behind it ?
Old 03 January 2011, 10:46 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

I was in my local town centre and there was a 50cc thing sat at the lights, this big *** super bike pulled up next to him, looked him up and down and rev'd the nuts off it .. the kid on the 50cc, made a gesture towards the rev counter on the super bike and as the rider looked down he leant over and hit the kill switch .. then ****ed off .. lol .. made me laugh ..
Old 04 January 2011, 07:49 AM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

As someone has already said, the only time I do it is to ensure that car drivers know that you're there. You may all think that sounds daft, but unless you actually ride a motorbike, you may not understand.

The amount of car drivers who fail to see bike riders is staggering. People who drive a particular route often, do it sometimes on auto pilot and really don't see that we are there. A blip on the throttle is often the only way car drivers even acknowledge that you are there-too many times I have almost been hit by a car driver who has no idea I am alongside-when they are at the front of a set of traffic lights and think that they can quickly move over into the adjacent lane, almost wiping me out in the process!!
Old 04 January 2011, 08:29 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

5t.
+1
Old 04 January 2011, 08:33 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ritchie21
As someone has already said, the only time I do it is to ensure that car drivers know that you're there. You may all think that sounds daft, but unless you actually ride a motorbike, you may not understand.

The amount of car drivers who fail to see bike riders is staggering. People who drive a particular route often, do it sometimes on auto pilot and really don't see that we are there. A blip on the throttle is often the only way car drivers even acknowledge that you are there-too many times I have almost been hit by a car driver who has no idea I am alongside-when they are at the front of a set of traffic lights and think that they can quickly move over into the adjacent lane, almost wiping me out in the process!!
+1 and covers the OP. As for revving it up in the drive or garage then that is just a little sad and pointless and equivalent of doing the odd tunnel run?

People in glass houses should not **********!
Old 04 January 2011, 11:37 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
People in glass houses should not **********!
Why not Paul - wipes off easy from glass!
Old 04 January 2011, 11:40 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have also been a biker for more years than I wish to remember.

Sometimes the idle is set up badly or the engine just wont idle reliably anyway. So bikers will give a bit of a rev if it is like that. less annoying to just maintain a higher steady engine speed than idling to keep it running.

People often wear coloured clothing in order to be seen more easily, does not make them clowns for doing it!

It is true that car drivers often fail to see a biker. I spend most of my time driving defensively, especially approaching road junctions. Bikers often need to use a different style of operating procedure to remain safe. If you have not ridden a bike you will not realise that.

Les
Old 04 January 2011, 12:06 PM
musso2010
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I have also been a biker for more years than I wish to remember.

Sometimes the idle is set up badly or the engine just wont idle reliably anyway. So bikers will give a bit of a rev if it is like that. less annoying to just maintain a higher steady engine speed than idling to keep it running.

People often wear coloured clothing in order to be seen more easily, does not make them clowns for doing it!

It is true that car drivers often fail to see a biker. I spend most of my time driving defensively, especially approaching road junctions. Bikers often need to use a different style of operating procedure to remain safe. If you have not ridden a bike you will not realise that.

Les
+1
Old 04 January 2011, 12:09 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ritchie21

A lot of the time when bikers push to the front at the lights they actually cause me a delay, I can't boot it off the line as they are in my way, which to be honest is a pain .. if you push to the front and then take off so I can drive as I planned to, thats fine, but just doing it and then taking your time is a **** take. I have to say the experience Ive had with bikers is that they think they own the road .. and expect you to give way to them ...

I know there are going to be a lot of good bikers too, but I can only base my opinions on the experiences I have. The same as 90% of Impreza drivers I meet on the roads are dangerous ***** .. no one here I assume
Old 04 January 2011, 12:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I'm not getting into the "good biker/bad biker" thingy. Suffice to say that if I had a £1 for every biker whose thinking I've had to do for him to avoid killing him, I'd be a rich lad.

By al means put the revs up if your wonder machine won't tickover, (get it fixed btw: you are wasting petrol)< but to sit just blipping the throttle is pure "look at me". Don't try to defend it, you can't.

If you are worried about drivers not seeing you because you came up behind them "filtering" down a line of traffic, there's an easy answer: DON'T DO IT.

And as for clown suits, yep, wear bright colours to be seen, but check out what they look like first please, or be branded clown.
Old 04 January 2011, 12:50 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
A lot of the time when bikers push to the front at the lights they actually cause me a delay, I can't boot it off the line as they are in my way, which to be honest is a pain .. if you push to the front and then take off so I can drive as I planned to, thats fine, but just doing it and then taking your time is a **** take. I have to say the experience Ive had with bikers is that they think they own the road .. and expect you to give way to them ...

I know there are going to be a lot of good bikers too, but I can only base my opinions on the experiences I have. The same as 90% of Impreza drivers I meet on the roads are dangerous ***** .. no one here I assume
We have to push to the front of the queue for our traffic light grand prix .6 a breast on the East Lancs ,lights change and hell for leather .Now that is a sight to be seen .!!
Obviously this was in the old days and you just wont get away with it now but hell it was fun .
Obviously Im not condoning this sort of behaviour ,as it was 10 yrs ago ,when it was OK to do it .!!
And obviously no innocent people were hurt whilst we did this ,bar a few who now have hearing problems from the racket of 6 bikes hitting 60 mph in 3 seconds or so .

By the way I never blipped the throttle .It was held at a steady 6000 revs waiting for the amber .