Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Exercise bikes ?

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2010, 10:41 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exercise bikes ?

Still thinking about getting an exercise bike for my gym at home-quick question tho - if i buy a decent make one i.e. Tunturi etc these seem a lot more sturdy and hence heavier then a cheapo argos type one.

My gym unlike i guess most folks is in one of my spare bedroom upstairs, will a bike weighing 60, 70 kg and being pedalled at times damn fast be ok on an upstairs bedroom floor? i know its less heavier then a wardrobe or bed or even me standing up there but, but if its being pedalled fast the weight will fluctuate around and being only a 7 year old house the floors may not be as sturdy as an older house.

Same if i brought a cross trainer instead will that be ok? as most folk seem to have gyms in their garages.

Just dont wanna use a bike for a few hours a week and cause damage to floor or joists or plaster ceiling below.
Old 14 November 2010, 04:35 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doubt you will do any damage.

But exercise bikes are the generally the most boring thing on the planet, and in my experience just get used as a clothes hanger, get a proper bike if you dont have one and go out on it, way more fun and it being dark/cold/wet is not an excuse, get decent lights and clothing and its fine.
Old 14 November 2010, 06:12 PM
Pjamie
Scooby Regular

I have a Tunturi E80R - they don't make it any more, the E60R is now the largest - and it is so smooth and silent that it doesn't cause any vibration when being pedalled vigorously. I often sit in front of the telly when using it and I don't even need to turn the volume up to listen to the programme. I've been a keen cyclist since I was 12 so I have a pretty smooth peddling action which might play some part in it.
Old 16 November 2010, 07:52 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

is that upstairs or downstairs tho?
Old 16 November 2010, 09:47 AM
Lisawrx

I have a fairly heavy one upstairs. It was from Argos funnily enough, but it isn't some light, crappy thing, I can barely move it.

Not sure about damage though as like Jacko has said, I find it both boring and uncomfortable and therefore it's been rarely used.

I've got a cross-trainer now which I prefer but it's way to big to go upstairs (size wise) so that now has a home downstairs. Not in an ideal place mind but our house is quite small.

Is there no room at all downstairs if you are really concerned? I should imagine it would be ok though.
Old 16 November 2010, 10:11 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

I`ve got a Schwinn spinning bike in one of my spare rooms.....and it`s bloody heavy with no problems. I`d advise buying a spinning dvd though, otherwise like said it can get boring Oh yeah and they do make good clothes horses too
Old 16 November 2010, 10:54 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ^OPM^
Still thinking about getting an exercise bike for my gym at home-quick question tho - if i buy a decent make one i.e. Tunturi etc these seem a lot more sturdy and hence heavier then a cheapo argos type one.

My gym unlike i guess most folks is in one of my spare bedroom upstairs, will a bike weighing 60, 70 kg and being pedalled at times damn fast be ok on an upstairs bedroom floor? i know its less heavier then a wardrobe or bed or even me standing up there but, but if its being pedalled fast the weight will fluctuate around and being only a 7 year old house the floors may not be as sturdy as an older house.

Same if i brought a cross trainer instead will that be ok? as most folk seem to have gyms in their garages.

Just dont wanna use a bike for a few hours a week and cause damage to floor or joists or plaster ceiling below.
Put it this way - I'm 70kg and if I was "entertaining" a lady of around 55kg on the floor of my spare bedroom, then I'd be really hacked off if that damaged my floor! I'm sure that house floors are designed to cope with the "heavier" lady & gent being overly amourous and energetic so a cycle-trainer should be fine
Old 16 November 2010, 11:52 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Put it this way - I'm 70kg and if I was "entertaining" a lady of around 55kg on the floor of my spare bedroom, then I'd be really hacked off if that damaged my floor! I'm sure that house floors are designed to cope with the "heavier" lady & gent being overly amourous and energetic so a cycle-trainer should be fine
That's certainly one way of looking at it.
Old 16 November 2010, 01:56 PM
Pjamie
Scooby Regular

is that upstairs or downstairs tho?
Mine is upstairs. It's an old house (500 years) and the floors aren't as well built as those in a modern house where an engineer will have been involved in the design and loading capabilities of the upper floors.

If you don't cycle smoothly and you bounce around then you will cause some noise. If you learn to spin smoothly then no-one will even know you're using it.

The T-Road facilty on the Tunturi is brilliant and very realistic, but like all indoor bikes it can be very boring unless you're totally committed which is why it's better to be able to watch TV or listen to some music when you're using them.
Old 16 November 2010, 02:21 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

use rollers -- much better (and cheaper)

30 mins on those, and you will really feel it
Old 17 November 2010, 08:13 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
use rollers -- much better (and cheaper)

30 mins on those, and you will really feel it
only problem with rollers is it means getting a sometimes dirty bike out of shed and getting it upstairs which i dont wanna do-cant use garage as gym as i actually use it for a car to sit in-and dont wanna keep getting that out of way everytime i wanna cycle.
Old 17 November 2010, 08:16 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pjamie
Mine is upstairs. It's an old house (500 years) and the floors aren't as well built as those in a modern house where an engineer will have been involved in the design and loading capabilities of the upper floors.

If you don't cycle smoothly and you bounce around then you will cause some noise. If you learn to spin smoothly then no-one will even know you're using it.

The T-Road facilty on the Tunturi is brilliant and very realistic, but like all indoor bikes it can be very boring unless you're totally committed which is why it's better to be able to watch TV or listen to some music when you're using them.

whats the T-road facility?

is it where you can programme different scenarios into the computer and bike will automatically vary the difficulty of pedalling to mimick up and down hills etc?
Old 17 November 2010, 08:19 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Yes-but i would want to be using exercise bike for longer then 38 seconds at a time tho
Old 17 November 2010, 10:19 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

only problem with rollers is it means getting a sometimes dirty bike out of shed and getting it upstairs which i dont wanna do-cant use garage as gym as i actually use it for a car to sit in-and dont wanna keep getting that out of way everytime i wanna cycle.
true I suppose although with the money you will save, you could buy a cheap road bike and use it purely for the rollers

the great thing about using rollers, apart form the incredible work out they give you, is that you actually have to ride the bike, which keeps you focused and stops you getting v v v bored
Old 17 November 2010, 05:45 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Cross trainer will give you a better workout and a more balanced workout.
Old 17 November 2010, 05:53 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
Cross trainer will give you a better workout and a more balanced workout.
maybe yes-not sure as never used a cross trainer-are they ok on floors upstairs etc ?
Old 18 November 2010, 10:02 PM
Pjamie
Scooby Regular

whats the T-road facility?

is it where you can programme different scenarios into the computer and bike will automatically vary the difficulty of pedalling to mimick up and down hills etc?
You can do that, and there are also several (LOTS of them) pre-set programmes that can be tied to effort (in Watts), or to heart-rate, or just time - it's very versatile with tons of features and the best console I've seen on any excercise machine.

The T-Road facility are real-life videos that display on the LCD screen. The pedalling resistance adjusts automatically to the video for uphill, downhill etc and the progression is so subtle that it does feel like real life. You get so many videos free on a USB drive and you can order more from Tunturi.

I swapped the pedals for a couple of bike pedals so I could lock myself in for better spinning. When I was younger I spent many hours on rollers and on my "Cateye Cyclosimulator", but I like my Tunturi because it's quiet, pretty realistic, and very comfortable.