Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Recommend me a recordable DVD player

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2010, 11:59 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommend me a recordable DVD player

Has anyone got one.if so,what are the pros and cons?Blueray or not and are there any deals that anyone is aware of?
Cheers,in anticipation...
Old 04 November 2010, 12:06 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends what you want to achieve. If recording directly from Television/Satellite, then it's worth getting a recorder with a built in Hard Disk.

If copying from a pre-recorded satellite/freeview program then a normal DVD recorder would work, a blu-ray recorder will also record onto DVD as well as Blu-Ray discs.

I Have both a Panasonic DMR-EX95V VIdeo/DVD Recorder combo and a Panasonic BS750 Freesat Recorder with Blu-Ray recorder/player. The Former I use as a back-up for recording DVB channels but also on occassion have used the SCART connector to record Sky programs onto DVD-R/RW to watch elsewhere in the house. As well as backing up old VHS tapes to DVD.

The Freesat one was my mothers and is useful for recording Freesat HD programs and watching back. Only used the DVD/Blu-ray for playback of discs and have yet to have need to use the record function.
Old 04 November 2010, 10:51 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply.I would solely be using it for burning sky + films,so that we can watch them on a portable DVD player whilst on the move.
I don't have a blueray,so it maybe a good time to combine?
Old 04 November 2010, 11:13 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

I'd make sure its got a twin tuner so you can record one programme whilst watching another if your viewing through the dvd recorder, like its been pointed out above i'd go for one with a hard drive because that way you can edit out things like adverts, most dvd recorders especially the panasonic ones come with editing options built into them.

It depends what your budget is, personally i'd go for one of the Panasonic bluray recorders as their are some bargains to be had at the min compared to what they cost when they first came out which was £700- £900, they do a couple of versions. One comes with a twin satellite tuner and the other version comes with a twin freeview tuner so you can use your normal aerial.

If you already have a satellite dish i would go for the DMR BS750 (250GB hard drive) or the DMR BS850 with the (500GB hard drive), they are the same machine its just one has a bigger hard drive.

The freeview ones are more expensive as they are one of panasonic's latest machines, they are the DMR-BW780 and the DMR-BW880, they are the same machine but one has a bigger hard drive. These ones allow you to use a normal tv aerial as they are freeview tuners.

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 04 November 2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05 November 2010, 09:39 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Thanks a lot Rob-appreciated
Old 06 November 2010, 12:29 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I'd definitely recommend a HDD/DVD recorder. I have a Sony one with a 250GB HDD and it has been brilliant. Set it to record and leave it, no changing discs for the next recording or any other faffing about. Once recorded you can edit out ads, end credits etc. You have a choice of recording modes (about 10 I think) which will allow you to fit up to about 12 hours onto a single disc, but obviously the quality drops off the more you squeeze on. I record Thomas the Tank Engine every morning for my son on series link, so I set the timer once about three months back and the unit takes care of it for me. Every now and then I dub about 4 hours worth to DVD so he can take it to Grandads or wherever. Massively more convenient than a DVD only recorder IMHO.
Old 06 November 2010, 12:42 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Cheers...Looking for some deals at the mo.I like the features of what Panasonic have on offer-they are still at a premium price at the mo,it seems.
Will have a look at comparable units from Sony and see how they compare on features and price.
I want one that's future proof...
Old 06 November 2010, 05:34 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

No such thing ! Recording and scheduled programming will become a thing of the past in the next few years with 'on-demand' TV services and cloud computing allowing access to what you want, when you want it, wherever you are.