Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

would you 'call it' as bullying???

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2010, 09:48 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question would you 'call it' as bullying???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-11689993

A dinner lady who told parents their child was being bullied was sacked as governors were "embarrassed by the public outcry", a tribunal has heard.

Carol Hill, 61, had made her bosses at Great Tey Primary School in Essex "cross" and was unfairly dismissed, her lawyer Claire Darwin told the hearing.

She was sacked from the school in September last year.

The school's lawyer Oliver Hyams said Mrs Hill had brought the school into disrepute by causing a media "storm".

She was suspended in June 2009 after telling parents that their seven-year-old daughter had been tied to a fence by a number of boys and hit with a skipping rope, the tribunal has heard.
'Minor accident'

Head teacher Deborah Crabb told the tribunal the incident was not bullying but an "inappropriate game" that went too far.

She said she had written to the girl's parents saying: "You may wish to know [the girl] had a minor accident today.

"She was hurt on the right leg and right wrist with a skipping rope."

Mrs Hill's decision to then speak to the parents at a scout meeting had been a breach of confidentiality which would have earned her a "final warning", said Mrs Crabb.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

She must have known by approaching the media she was going to cause a storm”

End Quote Oliver Hyams, laweyr for the school

She has told the panel that Mrs Hill was subsequently sacked for committing the "offence" of "going to the press".
Old 03 November 2010, 10:02 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Strange - whistle blowers should be rewarded!
Old 03 November 2010, 11:23 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Didn't teflon, bring in a law to stop whistleblowers from being dismissed, and a

compensation package to boot

Mart
Old 04 November 2010, 12:00 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

I'm a little unclear on this one.

Did she tell the parents and then goto the press and tell the story of the 'inappropriate game' and then get sacked. Which is a little careless and i can see how the school was embarrassed.

or

Did she tell the parents, get the sack and then goto the press to get support/publicity for her unfair dismissal. Which anyone would do, and the school deserve to be embarressed.

Old 04 November 2010, 01:09 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whichever way it happened, the school deserves to feel embarrassed.

She added: "The reason Mrs Hill was dismissed was because the school and governors were embarrassed by the public outcry."

This was no game imo and bullying should be taken seriously. It's far too often ignored. I know some people will be of the opinion that kids should toughen up, I don't think this is one of those cases. If a school is going to try to cover up a case of bullying or worse still, ignore it, they deserve whatever comes to them.

I suffered terribly at school at the hands of bullies, and despite at one point being targeted by lads about to leave (yr 11-15yrs old) when I was in the first year(11), both my and my parents and teachers complaints were dismissed by the dept.head at one point with him saying I was at fault (still not sure how he worked that out). Thankfully, verbal bullying aside the worst I got was a brick thrown off my head.

I was an easy target as I wouldn't stick up for myself, but that doesn't make bullying ok. There is a fine line between kids being kids and making another's life hell.

Bullying shouldn't be swept under the carpet, and good on this woman for speaking out. If the school feels embarrassed, it's probably for good bloody reason.
Old 04 November 2010, 01:40 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Well said Lisa
Old 04 November 2010, 01:41 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wish I had a dinner lady like that when I was at school, mine used to make me eat my parsnip until I was sick. Then used to make me try and eat my sick right cruel b1tch i used to end up hiding parsnip in my pockets then chucking it in the play ground.
Old 04 November 2010, 01:53 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Well said Lisa
Thank you.
Old 04 November 2010, 12:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Whilst not disagreeing with Lisa, I wonder EXACTLY what the sequence of events was leading to this lady's dismissal.

I DO know that teachers, and school staff sign a non-disclosure order, which effectively stops them from discussing children in their care with ANYONE EXCEPT THE PARENTS/CARERS. Perhaps the dinner lady fell foul of this?
Old 04 November 2010, 12:35 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If she discussed it with the parents then surely she was not at fault then. Does not say that she went to the press about it.

Who was the Head teacher trying to protect by modifying the account to the parents?

Les
Old 04 November 2010, 01:19 PM
max137
Scooby Newbie

Definately whistleblowers should be rewarded, im sure if it were David Cameron's child the dinner lady would have got a pat on her back.
Old 04 November 2010, 02:28 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
I remember this from last year when it happened. More here:

... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...-bullying.html ...
"... Carol Hill dragged four boys away from seven-year-old Chloe David after discovering they had tied her up and were beating her with a skipping rope.
Mrs Hill bumped into Chloe's parents Scott and Claire David that evening and told them details which the school had not passed on.
When staff at Great Tey Primary School, near Colchester in Essex, discovered what she had done, she was accused of breaching pupil confidentiality and suspended.
A disciplinary hearing was held last week and she was sacked on Monday. ..."

and some 'opinion' here:

... http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle6850911.ece ...

"... However, it is possible that this is not quite what happened in Great Tey, Essex. Such stories are not usually as simple as reports make them seem and small villages are often cesspits of intrigue. However, the school and its governors do not deny the dinner lady’s allegations. The fact that they haven’t is telling. If her story is untrue, the school would have had absolutely nothing to lose by saying so. In doing so it would have done much to reassure the parents and other children, instead of leaving the community in a limbo of demoralising gossip. ..."

With what I remember of the story from last year, plus articles like the above, I'm with the parents/dinner lady. Seems she's been made a scapegoat to cover up the school's/LEA's procedures. I mean, why would the school NOT tell a parent what had happened? If that had happened to my son I'd be right round to drag the headmaster out of lessons and demand an explanation.

Dave
Yes I agree.

Les
Old 04 November 2010, 02:33 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Here's the legalese

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ce/DG_10026552

Mart
Old 04 November 2010, 04:00 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Whichever way it happened, the school deserves to feel embarrassed.

She added: "The reason Mrs Hill was dismissed was because the school and governors were embarrassed by the public outcry."

This was no game imo and bullying should be taken seriously. It's far too often ignored. I know some people will be of the opinion that kids should toughen up, I don't think this is one of those cases. If a school is going to try to cover up a case of bullying or worse still, ignore it, they deserve whatever comes to them.

I suffered terribly at school at the hands of bullies, and despite at one point being targeted by lads about to leave (yr 11-15yrs old) when I was in the first year(11), both my and my parents and teachers complaints were dismissed by the dept.head at one point with him saying I was at fault (still not sure how he worked that out). Thankfully, verbal bullying aside the worst I got was a brick thrown off my head.

I was an easy target as I wouldn't stick up for myself, but that doesn't make bullying ok. There is a fine line between kids being kids and making another's life hell.

Bullying shouldn't be swept under the carpet, and good on this woman for speaking out. If the school feels embarrassed, it's probably for good bloody reason.
Totally agree Lisa. Nothing worse than bullying, she did the right thing. I am, like alcazar, just unsure of the sequence.

Originally Posted by alcazar
Whilst not disagreeing with Lisa, I wonder EXACTLY what the sequence of events was leading to this lady's dismissal.

I DO know that teachers, and school staff sign a non-disclosure order, which effectively stops them from discussing children in their care with ANYONE EXCEPT THE PARENTS/CARERS. Perhaps the dinner lady fell foul of this?
The dinner lady deserves a medal for bringing it out in the open. The school are rightfully embarrassed for not taking action and playing down the facts. If the bullying was brought into the open, then any bullies would think twice due to being named.

Last edited by Glowplug; 04 November 2010 at 04:01 PM.