5th GEAR - First Show tonite Ch5

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2002, 10:08 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Cool

Tis the first show of 5th Gear tonight on Channel 5

Apparently VBH is reviewing a Nissan Sunny, who some one has spent 25K to make it the fastest Sunny in Europe

He should have bought a subaru!

Anyhow, really hope its good, but it will prob be crap.........Shall I start tommorrow's post today.....'5th Gear crap again'

Nice to get all the TG team together again......I heard something about Jezza, has he joined or defected to somewhere else?
Old 08 April 2002, 10:58 AM
JayRaj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Channel 5 tried to get him, but money is the man's game.

Jay

Old 08 April 2002, 04:50 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

The Sunny GTi-R is a bloody good car. I nearly bought one instead of my cossie. They were a homologation special AWD 2 litre turbo. I.E. The same as the Subaru Impreza in a much smaller package. Pity Nissan didnt stick with the Rally programme, it could have been a very successful car.

P.S It was Tommi Makinen's first AWD works drive on the WRC!
Old 08 April 2002, 08:05 PM
skiddusmarkus
Scooby Regular

They gave up rallying with the gtir because the rules at the time would not allow them to alter the location of the intercooler and the resultant heatsoak led to a huge powerloss-as a result they were only competitive on the colder Scandinavian stages.The sunnys are fast little cars and the one on tonight is approx 400bhp.I've raced it on quarter miles a few times-same result every time,beat it up to 60(I think he was taking it easy)then it absolutely flew past me after that.It's done low 11s quarters and a 3.7 0-60 so has got to be worth watching.
Cue the "it's still a sunny though"gags.
Old 08 April 2002, 08:50 PM
Mark Jackson
Scooby Regular

Ill take the Viper, you could get one for 25k nowadays, I could pretent I am Burt Reynolds, Cooooooool

Loved the Apexi stuff in the dash though
Old 08 April 2002, 08:54 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I went in one for a passenger ride at the last EVO mag meet in Cambs. Was standard but seemed way too much power for it and grip was poor round the corners. Never realised they were 4WD until the owner told me.

They look naff to me and it must said that if you spent £16k tunning most performance cars of that size Im sure youd get similar results. Still you gotta be unhapy in ur Viper when that thing flies past. Worrying thing was that it looked like he was taking it easy off the line and then blitzed it - I expected the Viper to have better top end and be slow off the line.

There is some Viper in the states tuned by Henessy that still has its warranty and does the 1/4 in well under 10 secs. Dunno how much the tuning cost though.
Old 08 April 2002, 09:59 PM
skiddusmarkus
Scooby Regular

The standard wheels are a tiny 14" shod with 185x60 profile tyres.The grip from these is not particulary impressive and the wheels are usually the first thing people change,usually going for 17s but they handle best on 15s or 16s.The standard brakes are pathetic too-258mm on the front with a single piston caliper but again most people who up the power upgrade these as well.You have to bear in mind that the car's are over 10 years old and the standard suspension is probably well past its best.I've upgraded the wheels,brakes suspension and done a little fettling with the engine and recently made 333bhp with 290lb torque.For the money you cannot get the same performance from many cars out of the box and with wise spending on sensible mods you get a car that can hold it's own against most things on the road.
Old 08 April 2002, 11:46 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Oh it makes you so happy to live around the Reading area with all the speed camera's making the roads lot safer "NOT" the robin thieving scum bag government, oh no we can make a few bob out of Joe motorist because we get our money back from the camera’s in a few weeks!! And bugger it costs us money to catch a thieving scumbag!!!!!!!!!!! So we won’t bother about the poor chaps that have there Scoobs broken into or nicked!!

We live on a minor estate road and we have 4 cameras in less than half a mile of each other and they have mobiles jobbies there as well near Newbury so going by government policy we live in very bad accident black spot NOT.

Rant mode off now

Huxley

Old 09 April 2002, 12:10 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Wait until a party says they will reduce speed cameras - and see how many vote Its obvious the govt is using it as a money making exercise. Like we dont pay enough for new cars, insurance, petrol as it is. Fair enough for accident blackspots but 12 in 4 miles on the same damn road is a bleedin **** take in anyones book.

As Quentin said - its getting to the stage where people are more bothered about their speedo than they are about observing the road ahead of them.

I personally think on every camera you should get a first warning with no points/fine - then if you get caught again you get the punishment - this way the police can actually backing up their statement that they are trying to educate people into driving at safe(r) speeds. If your stupid enough to get caught twice then you deserve to get hit.