Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sorry- another phone/provider question!

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2010, 06:23 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sorry- another phone/provider question!

I've been waiting for the HTC Desire HD Z and I now gather that 02 will not be getting this phone. I've been with them for years and have always been happy with them but will switch provider now if they can't be bothered to provide one of the most desirable phones to appear for ages.

Is there really any difference between the other providers ie T Mobile, Vodafone etc

Thanks and sorry for yet another boring phone related question
Old 17 October 2010, 06:34 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

O2's online billing is far better than Vodafone and T Mobile, can't say I noticed anything different about the service.
Old 17 October 2010, 06:37 PM
danny c
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

iv got the htc desire on o2? im sure i was offerd the hd version to when i got mine???
Old 17 October 2010, 06:38 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I'll say it, Ditch the htc and get a iPhone . You get to stay on 02 and get a iPhone . Win/win
Old 17 October 2010, 06:54 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Tmobile

Best coverage for me
Best customer service for me
Best hsdpa for me
All the phones offered
Best deals on contract

They do online bills but can't say I would ever use it, my tariff is so good It would be impossible to use up about 1000 mobile minutes , unlimited land line calls, unlimited texts, unlimited Internet so just pay the monthly charge.

Never seen any other network offer deals like this! But if they can beat all of the above I would change to someone else.
Old 17 October 2010, 07:10 PM
danny c
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
Tmobile

Best coverage for me
Best customer service for me
Best hsdpa for me
All the phones offered
Best deals on contract

They do online bills but can't say I would ever use it, my tariff is so good It would be impossible to use up about 1000 mobile minutes , unlimited land line calls, unlimited texts, unlimited Internet so just pay the monthly charge.

Never seen any other network offer deals like this! But if they can beat all of the above I would change to someone else.
iv got to disagree! crap signal in my area (was ok when i 1st went with them?work that out??) customer services i found crap to,no one seem interested in my problems etc! i wanted to lower my taffif as i didnt use half of what was included,when i phoned them and got through to someone i could actually understand she said,cant do that as we dont do that tarrif now,then reeled off a load of rubbish as if she didnt really care and was reading what the screen said.then said as a valued customer i can offer you £5 off your next 3 bills! valued my a## and £5 off my next three bills was a pi## take,so i told her so,paid to get out my contract,went with o2 and all is ok!
rant over.......although im sure others find them great!!
Old 17 October 2010, 08:10 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

in my totally un-informed opinion T Mobile are sh1te - born out of Mercury One2One, the Camden Cabbie's favourite network, say no more

(I have had a phone on a T-Mobile network and it was basically an answerphone, as no calls ever reach it)
Old 17 October 2010, 08:45 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

I've always been able to get a signal everywhere on both o2 and vodafone, just to add that don't you get T-mobile and orange coverage now they have merged?
Old 17 October 2010, 08:48 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Tmobile and Orange are now one network, or heading that way anyway.
Everything Everywhere is the new network name, which is also Virgin, so coverage improving daily.

Danny, DD is after the HD-Z not the standard HD.

As for networks I find Orange good for coverage and pricing, nothing has made me leave them yet, but a couple of issues have brought me close.

But just get an iPhone, it's the right thing to do.
Old 17 October 2010, 09:15 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I was with haz02 for say7 years and I was waiting for a specific phone so I switched to a sim only deal until it came available. All my time with 02 was internet billing and I never once got a breakdown of what my calls were? 02 then screwed me out of £100 for internet charges when I was unliminted internet so I moved to Tmobile within a week and what was great was that I could check my online minutes/txts/web online and everything was itemised my only complaint was charges for the answer machine but over one year later I have never bothered with answer messages so it makes no difference as the main thing that really bugged me with 02 was that it was an automatic answer machine so it always picked up on machine long before I got a chance to get the phone and answer it!
Old 17 October 2010, 09:55 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks to all.

Snazy, you can't be serious man? You think the iphone is better than a htc desire hd z with full manual qwerty keyboard????
Old 17 October 2010, 10:03 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

I'm on SIM only with Vodafone, SIM only is better in a few ways. I pay just £10 per month for 600 minutes cross network and unlimited texts, i can add an internet bolt on for £5 which ive done.

SIM only means you can then buy your own unbranded and unlocked phone, i can't stand all the branding that you get on some phones where they fill it with junk.
Old 17 October 2010, 10:04 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

http://www.buymobilephones.net/mobil...1?adnetwork=af
Old 17 October 2010, 10:17 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob_Impreza99

SIM only means you can then buy your own unbranded and unlocked phone, i can't stand all the branding that you get on some phones where they fill it with junk.
Sim only is great unless you want to have a high mobile bill for accounts I could of bought a new galaxy s and bought a sim only contract but T mobile still gave me more and I'm still on a 12 month contract and I get the high mobile allowance for my tax
Old 17 October 2010, 10:33 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Nor can I. But I've upgraded via P4U and will get an unlocked and unbranded phone even though my provider will be VF. It's the same deal, apparently, when you go via CPW. They get their phones via the manufacturer rather than the carrier.

Dave

I got my new Samsung Galaxy S direct from tmobile in august and thats full sim free and unbranded!!
Old 17 October 2010, 10:37 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Thanks to all.

Snazy, you can't be serious man? You think the iphone is better than a htc desire hd z with full manual qwerty keyboard????
Totally, qwerty physical keyboards are over rated
Old 17 October 2010, 11:05 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Totally, qwerty physical keyboards are over rated

They take more getting used to than a virtual keyboard! When I had my HTC pro2 I constantly miss typed until I got into the side thumb type skill. I have had touch screen phones for about 8 years now and they are the best Thank god Sony Ericsson started the p800 Where was apple when this touch screen master piece came out

Edited for accuracy as it looks like I had my 1st touch screen phone 8years ago About the same time Apple where inventing this idea NOT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Ericsson_P800

Last edited by stevebt; 17 October 2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 17 October 2010, 11:53 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I should just add that the reply was written on an iPad, which refuses to let me write anything else.
Of course I am committed to my full physical qwerty blackberry.
I can just about get on with the touchscreen on the iPad, yet to see if that if the android tablets and playbook will be the same.

Anything smaller is almost pointless to me, hence putting the Torch on hold.
Old 18 October 2010, 09:45 AM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

Steve BT, try this http://www.hullomail.com/uk/index.html , I got fed up with having to pay for voicemail as when i changed contract they omitted to let me know it would not be free anymore.
Old 18 October 2010, 10:04 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Confused now.

1) Butty's link shows I can buy the HD on 02 via another company but not via 02 itself. What's that all about?

2) Snazy; not sure what you mean. You've always said you don't get on with touch screen keyboards on phones. Then you say they are over rated?
Old 18 October 2010, 10:28 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by danny c
i wanted to lower my taffif as i didnt use half of what was included,when i phoned them and got through to someone i could actually understand she said,cant do that as we dont do that tarrif now,then reeled off a load of rubbish as if she didnt really care and was reading what the screen said.then said as a valued customer i can offer you £5 off your next 3 bills! valued my a## and £5 off my next three bills was a pi## take,so i told her so,paid to get out my contract,went with o2 and all is ok!
rant over.......although im sure others find them great!!
If you had signed a contract for a set price per month with me I would not let you change either, although its nice of them to offer you a discount for 3 months as a gesture of goodwill, i would call that good customer service

I cant believe there are fanboi's of phone networks on here!

ready to fight tooth and nail that even though they are paying through the nose for a network service that is not as good another companies and would rather die than admit that they have got the wrong end of the ****ty stick!

I don't pledge allegiance to any company for any product, does not matter if its phones, networks, laptops whichever or whoever offers me the best deal (price/service/quality) gets my business,

some people really need to open there eyes to the real world!
Old 18 October 2010, 10:38 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Confused now.

1) Butty's link shows I can buy the HD on 02 via another company but not via 02 itself. What's that all about?

2) Snazy; not sure what you mean. You've always said you don't get on with touch screen keyboards on phones. Then you say they are over rated?
Not uncommon for middle men to offer a wider range of handsets, sometimes they are supplying the handset, and then the tariff with the carrier separately but sold as a package to you.

As for the keyboards, I replied after that saying I was just kidding.
Small touch screens are useless to me, great for games and pictures and breezing thru websites, but terrible for input.
Official line, i STILL don't like total touchscreen phones, those with physical keyboards are much better for me personally, hence i still use the blackberry.
The exception to the touchscreen thing is the iPad I'm using, bareable yet still sometimes frustrating.
Old 18 October 2010, 06:04 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I think ultimately the best network is the one which offers you the vest coverage where YOU need it.
I've got a HTC Desire HD ordered for collection when it is released on Friday from Vodafone