Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Interesting way to fire someone....

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2010, 11:29 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting way to fire someone....

All happening at w*rk this morning....

After initially saying there was no pay review for us this year the company then decided they were doing okay so we could have a rise after all but commencing August instead of the usual March rise. Anyway the whole place is so disorganised that we finally get our review letters and back pay to August yesterday, except for one employee....

Strange bloke he is, very quiet, but technically very good. His main problem is he does not work well in a team and has little or no respect for the management (Autism/Aspergers?) but at the end of the day always produces what's required and generally does it well. Had a bit of a "toys out of the pram moment" early on in the year and ended up getting a lump of work to do in isolation therefore not having to do all the team stuff. This work was key to our current project.

Anyway he got no pay rise, didn't miss much as it was only 2.5%, so gets in a strop and calls the manager at home, gets told that due to a bad review and that due to his behaviour a displinary letter was being held on file for him to receive at some point in future. So this morning comes in early, clears his desk, announces to whoever was here that he quits, and that's it -gone!

I'm just gutted I missed this hissy fit

Hope he's got plenty of savings to survive on. Doubt we'll be writing him a glowing reference, especially as his left us in the sh*t for a few weeks at least Of course I'll bail us out and come up smelling of roses as ever
Old 15 September 2010, 11:50 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Sounds unprofessional of the company if you ask me.
Old 15 September 2010, 11:52 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Bin men are 10 a penny
Old 15 September 2010, 11:57 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm...

Constructive dismissal maybe...
Old 15 September 2010, 11:57 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Talking of toys out of the pram...

One female officer, still in her probationary period, decided to take off 6 months with stress, returning only when her SSP would be stopped.

On return she then decided to sue the farce force for a new set of teeth as she has required extensive dental work as she ground he teeth down due to the stress she was under.

She ended up in the chief super's office where she had a full on slagging match with him, then stormed out, stormed back in to give him another mouthful and then stormed out again.

Allegedly, when she stormed back in, she told the chief super that she was going to top herself. Now this bit, no-one heard, so if it really happened, we do not know. But you should never always trust a ranked officer ().

This probationer made it to the bus station at Mansfield where she was greeted by two response cops, who then arrested her under S.136 of the Mental Health Act and took her straight to the local mental health suite at Millbrook, where she was detained for four days.

On her discharge, she made it to the Hucknall tram stop where two more cops were waiting for her, and promptly nicked again after allegedly threatening to throw herself under the tram.

As a result of this, the farce is looking at dismissing her as being unsuitable for the job.

Did any of these suicidal threats really happen? I'm not sure, but it sure would have taught her not to argue with rank. Anyway, it also demonstrates how cops will **** up other cops too. No wonder we're all so paranoid
Old 15 September 2010, 12:13 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't

One female officer, still in her probationary period, decided to take off 6 months with stress, returning only when her SSP would be stopped.

On return she then decided to sue the farce force for a new set of teeth as she has required extensive dental work as she ground he teeth down due to the stress she was under.

She ended up in the chief super's office where she had a full on slagging match with him, then stormed out, stormed back in to give him another mouthful and then stormed out again.

Allegedly, when she stormed back in, she told the chief super that she was going to top herself. Now this bit, no-one heard, so if it really happened, we do not know. But you should never always trust a ranked officer ().

This probationer made it to the bus station at Mansfield where she was greeted by two response cops, who then arrested her under S.136 of the Mental Health Act and took her straight to the local mental health suite at Millbrook, where she was detained for four days.

On her discharge, she made it to the Hucknall tram stop where two more cops were waiting for her, and promptly nicked again after allegedly threatening to throw herself under the tram.

As a result of this, the farce is looking at dismissing her as being unsuitable for the job.

Did any of these suicidal threats really happen? I'm not sure, but it sure would have taught her not to argue with rank. Anyway, it also demonstrates how cops will **** up other cops too. No wonder we're all so paranoid
what a rubbish joke -- no punchline at all
Old 15 September 2010, 12:15 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

If I lived in scabby mansfield i'd top myself

Trending Topics

Old 15 September 2010, 12:21 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

And are you proud of your company / the company you are working for?
Old 15 September 2010, 12:31 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xx-IAN-xX
Me too. And Sutton.

Then again, I saw a car a few months ago on the A38, just before the Kings Mill McDonalds, which is probably as close as you'd want to get to Mansfield or Suttno with the vrm X 1AN X. Maybe I should have pulled it to see if you were driving it as I did wonder if it had anything to do with you.

Last edited by ScoobyWon't; 15 September 2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 15 September 2010, 12:42 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xx-IAN-xX
I lived pretty close to it and that was bad enough!

Les
Old 15 September 2010, 12:50 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Me too. And Sutton.

Then again, I saw a car a few months ago on the A38, just before the Kings Mill McDonalds, which is probably as close as you'd want to get to Mansfield or Suttno with the vrm X 1AN X. Maybe I should have pulled it to see if you were driving it as I did wonder if it had anything to do with you.
Not me mate
Old 15 September 2010, 12:52 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too. And Sutton.

And to issue a defect notice type thing for the dodgy spacing

My company is pretty good, certainly is for me, no complaints, my line managers are all decent blokes but I knwo if I dont produce I will be on my way, they are pretty tolerant of sickness as one lady (who I never imagined would be off) went off with stress six months plu ago and her job is still open even though she isnt getting paid anymore.

They did get rid of three people but to my mind these individuals did kind of deserve it to differening degrees, things like saying they wanted no part of a new project, well durr, what did you think would happen when your project is replaced, one that was always off sick, just wasnt interested and had a face like a slapped **** all day when they were there, good luck to them but working there wasnt working for them, they got a decent pay out and plenty of warning.

The Police, hmm, I did ten years at GMP and there were some strange goings on there, some really decent people in management, certainly at the middle tier but also some empire building loonies, lots of witchunts and being dragged in for sending a personal email, they read everybodies email and pulled up anything that looked non work related, I sent this aritcle (or one similar) http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3072021.stm to a colleague, as a joke and got dragged in about it and bollocked, I just said it was a legitimate medical article and it was a male health issue and if they wanted to take it further they could but I was in the union and they would get shredded, I reassured them that I wasnt advocating masturbating during work hours if that was their concern. I had a ding dong with my boss just before leaving as she collared me for using the disabled entrance, yet used it all the time herself and to usher in her Lesbian Group, now I have no issue with the Gay community at all but I dont like being told off for something she herself was doing, also when I gave my disabled mate a lift in that was fine but not on my own, I miss a lot of the people from the Police but not the climate of fear and reprisal for minor things for people who basically worked damned hard.
Old 15 September 2010, 12:58 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes

Me too. As said by another, constructive dismissal.
Old 15 September 2010, 01:47 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
a lump of work to do in isolation
Really? Sound like he was made to work in the broom cupboard for being a naughty boy

So glad I don't work in a large office. All the handbags at dawn stuff would really get me down (All sounds like episodes of Better Off Ted - google it, its hilarious) although the OP story does sound amusing.

My wifes brother worked for the council up in Pontefract. He tells tales of being locked in a room by his manager in order to do his work - this incident led him to hit is head trying to escape (I **** you not!!) and is so traumatised by the event that he has become agrophobic and has had to go on the sick - although he can just squeeze walking to the pub without having an involuntary movement.

He did get a report that he failed to hide from his parents that mentioned (at some length) the missing items from the office and the extensive collection of **** on his PC - this is all from their father who also isn't afraid of embelishing a good story so god knows what really happened.

What the heck is a line manager anyway? I was reading about our local hospital that has jsut had millions of pounds spent on it but they are trying to lay people off. There was mention of line managers at the hospital and it occured to me I don't actually know what one is or what they do.

Last edited by EddScott; 15 September 2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 15 September 2010, 02:27 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Coffin Dodger: Do you think it is right for this to happen:

Originally Posted by CoffinDodger
a displinary letter was being held on file for him to receive at some point in future
Old 15 September 2010, 03:59 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Yep, that would be about right. Not the first time either, we are American / Canadian owned and when they bought us out they decided to get rid of a few unwanted employees just by telling them they were not longer needed, no redundancy offered etc. That all went to court.

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Hmm...

Constructive dismissal maybe...
I suspect that is the angle he will take and is the type to take something like this all the way if necessary

Originally Posted by fpan
And are you proud of your company / the company you are working for?
Not in the slightest. Fortuantely the work is very interesting, pays well, and there aren't a great deal of options for moving elsewhere at the moment otherwise I would definitely want to be out. Their methods from a corporate perspective are not great but I do wonder if it stems from sheer niaveity or just being plain amaturish

Coffin Dodger: Do you think it is right for this to happen:
Not in the slightest, if they wanted to displine him then it should have been done there and then along with the necessary consultation etc. to try to resolve the issues. Holding something back until someone has completed a work package so as not to demotivate them is underhand to say the least. Our HR department is a waste of space mind
Old 15 September 2010, 05:03 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Me too. And Sutton.

I went to Sutton in the day last week. What a mistake ! That place is one big ****' hole a bloke praying at the sundial then shouting down it like it's a microphone.

Going to chesterfield Saturday for a mates birthday as Mansfield is full of meat heads with attitude problem.

Also is wasn't that Ginger pc that came to see me was it
Old 15 September 2010, 06:16 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Yep, that would be about right. Not the first time either, we are American / Canadian owned and when they bought us out they decided to get rid of a few unwanted employees just by telling them they were not longer needed, no redundancy offered etc. That all went to court.

I suspect that is the angle he will take and is the type to take something like this all the way if necessary

Not in the slightest. Fortuantely the work is very interesting, pays well, and there aren't a great deal of options for moving elsewhere at the moment otherwise I would definitely want to be out. Their methods from a corporate perspective are not great but I do wonder if it stems from sheer niaveity or just being plain amaturish

Not in the slightest, if they wanted to displine him then it should have been done there and then along with the necessary consultation etc. to try to resolve the issues. Holding something back until someone has completed a work package so as not to demotivate them is underhand to say the least. Our HR department is a waste of space mind
Oh, your laughter was sarcastic then? Sorry, myself and others must have got the wrong end of the stick
Old 15 September 2010, 07:29 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EddScott.........my line manager countersigns my leave requests and signs the cheques for the things I order

Shaun
Old 15 September 2010, 08:13 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Reminds me of "Office Space". Did he take his stapler? Be prepared for the office to burn down too?
Old 15 September 2010, 08:16 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antc
I went to Sutton in the day last week. What a mistake ! That place is one big ****' hole a bloke praying at the sundial then shouting down it like it's a microphone.

Going to chesterfield Saturday for a mates birthday as Mansfield is full of meat heads with attitude problem.

Chesterfield is a good night out
Old 15 September 2010, 09:02 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

His main problem is he does not work well in a team and has little or no respect for the management (Autism/Aspergers?)
What's autism or aspergers got to do with it?
Old 15 September 2010, 10:17 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

except for one employee....

Strange bloke he is, very quiet, but technically very good. His main problem is he does not work well in a team and has little or no respect for the management (Autism/Aspergers?)
It's YOU .... isn't it?

Old 15 September 2010, 10:35 PM
Scooby Jo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
It's YOU .... isn't it?

very funny!

Depending upon how much you like your employer, some advice:

Constructive dismissal is extremely difficult to prove, very rare to get a successful claim at Tribunal as the onus is the employee to prove it. The only time it works that way round. Accepting a resignation in haste is not so good.

Nor is not paying the 2.5% payrise which will be "an unlawful deduction from wages" - very easy for him to prove. I assume they didnt tell him in advance or agree a contract variation.

Holding a disciplinary letter on file isnt worth the paper it's written on if the company didnt go through a disciplinary process, i.e. an investigation, hearing etc etc. In fact the Tribunal normally take a dim view on employers who clearly dont follow ACAS guidance (it was law until April 10 but was repealled and new guidance issued).

Anyhow, depends how much you want to get involved or keep your head down. If he has got Aspergers or similar they could be looking at a claim linked to the Disability Discrimination Act for failing to make reasonable adjustments to policies and procedures, basically taking advantage, which has unlimited compensation.

All in all, not looking good if he gets legal advice - if they act now they might be able to salvage the situation.
Old 15 September 2010, 10:42 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Scooby Jo, are you into employment law? I may have a question for you
Old 15 September 2010, 10:49 PM
Scooby Jo
Scooby Regular

Scooby Jo, are you into employment law? I may have a question for you
Yep, and I wanted to be a rally driver, not sure what happened
Old 15 September 2010, 11:06 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antc
She's also based at Hucknall, but it's not her.
Old 15 September 2010, 11:11 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
It's YOU .... isn't it?

Yes that's right Granddad, I'm on the dole, thank **** someone is still paying taxes to keep me in cider and ****
Old 16 September 2010, 02:58 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Jo
Yep, and I wanted to be a rally driver, not sure what happened
Cool, I may have to PM you (About employment law, not the rally driving unfortunately!)