Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

11/09/2001 - what where you doing when the first plane struck

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2010, 07:37 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 11/09/2001 - what where you doing when the first plane struck

Jenny and i had just traveled back from the Maldives got home and made a coffee. Put the tv on and sat down to watch the first current news in the comfort of our own home for 14 days.

At first id did not really sink in i watched it but though it was an exert from a film or such was still in a bit of a daze from flying for 11 hours in cattle class i guess.
Old 11 September 2010, 07:42 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Sat in a hotel room in Sydney getting ready for a flight back to England. The flight still went ahead but it was a somber affair.
Old 11 September 2010, 07:44 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

At work; a colleague muttered something about a plane and
a building and I went on to the BBC website, a few moments later and the second plane struck. It was an incredible and terrifying day.

Last edited by JTaylor; 11 September 2010 at 07:45 AM.
Myles
Scooby Regular

I was on a years training course at RAF Cosford. We were in a lesson and my mate ran in to tell us what was happening. As he was a wind-up merchant, we didn't believe him. Within 10 mins we were all stood round the Flight Sergeants tv, watching in disbelief.

As an aside, it was the due date for my son, but hewasnt born until 18th Sep. I'm glad really...
Myles
Scooby Regular

I was on a years training course at RAF Cosford. We were in a lesson and my mate ran in to tell us what was happening. As he was a wind-up merchant, we didn't believe him. Within 10 mins we were all stood round the Flight Sergeants tv, watching in disbelief.

As an aside, it was the due date for my son, but hewasnt born until 18th Sep. I'm glad really...
Old 11 September 2010, 07:48 AM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

I was in America and had been working there for two months. I left New York 3 days before the attack and had done the 'tourist' thing including a tour of the World Trade Centre................I was staying in a motel at the time with my ex-mrs and we both watched it unfold on the news..........it didn't seem real and I was a little shocked (and thankful) that I was so fortunate when so many others were not......

The whole country 'shut down' for almost 3 days and it was very difficult to get anywhere and get anything done. Most public buildings and transit points were closed until the immediate threat of further attack had passed.

When will the world realise that religion is no excuse for murder....

On another point, Micheal Moore's film Faranheit 9/11 does raise some very interesting questions if you can see past the sometimes biased journalism....
Old 11 September 2010, 07:50 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I didn't know till I got in from school.

R.I.P
Old 11 September 2010, 07:53 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I was in a developers sales room signing for our new house. Dumb sales girl asked us what hijacked meant f.f.s.
Got home to see it all on tv and couldn't believe what was happening.
Old 11 September 2010, 08:00 AM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

i was at school and it was one of mates that got a text message from his older brother telling him what was going on, was shocked.
Old 11 September 2010, 08:05 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was at work when the first reports came in, at first I just thought it was a light aircraft that had hit the towers. It was not until the full report came in until we realised it was a commercial airliner
Old 11 September 2010, 08:05 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

in the Derby office of Egg watching it on a huge screen. I remember thinking, this cant be real?
Old 11 September 2010, 08:07 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I was training a bunch of people in Vienna and I thought it was very unreal. I was very lucky to get home as the next day they stopped quite a lot of the flights.

Steve
Old 11 September 2010, 08:11 AM
bart6622
Scooby Newbie

I was in Suffield, Canada on a British Army exercise and heard about it on the BBC World service we didn't know the full extent until a few days later when they dropped the newspapers off.
The last time my battalion was on a exercise in Canada back in 1990 they were deployed to the Gulf in 1991.
Old 11 September 2010, 08:17 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I was in IBM South Bank. Somehow someone found a TV which we plugged in. There were quite a few Americans around. They were on the phone to friends who worked in WTC.

It was dreadful although completely unreal. The impact took days to sink in.

IBM like many other tech companies were on standby to help out. It was amazing how many of these key businesses had no back-ups offsite and were commercially damaged by more than the people and offices they lost.
Old 11 September 2010, 08:46 AM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in Oman on Ex Saif Sareer II, an exercise to demonstrate our kit to the Omani Army! The mood changed somewhat after!!

Went to Muscat on R&R for a few days and was in a taxi coming back to our hotel and the driver stopped to have an argument with another local. I checked his mobile to look at the time and on the screen where it should say silent/discreet on the old Nokias, he had changed it to 'I love Bin Laden'. We thought, you f**king ****! So I changed it you 'YOU ARE A C**T!'
Old 11 September 2010, 08:50 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was on the A14 driving back from a meeting at RAF Brampton were we had been discussing UK Air Radar. It was breaking news on the radio. Exactly a year later I made my first excursion into Afghanistan.
Old 11 September 2010, 08:55 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I was setting the wheel alignment on a POS Fiat Cinquecento. I remember Mark and Lard being on Radio1 describing a plane hitting the tower, as above I thought it was someone in a light aircraft that had cocked up! Then the second tower was hit.
Old 11 September 2010, 09:04 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I had just got in from working in the am, put the kettle in made a cuppa and some lunch and put the news on.

I don't think I touched either for about 20 minutes. It was shocking!
Old 11 September 2010, 09:04 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I was in a car, on the motorway, on my way home from work. Phone rang and I was told what was going on. Put the radio on and listened. The presenter was trying to explain what was going on but it was just not really possible for him to put it into words. I got home and put the TV on to see the first tower go down.
Old 11 September 2010, 09:08 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I was sitting in our office just outside of Reina Sofia airport (TFS). None of us knew what was going on until my brother called from the UK.

Almost instantly, the internet connection went down and we could not get any further information. Without the net connection we couldn't actually do anything at work, so we closed up and went to the nearest English bar with Sky News and watched the events unfold from there.

I kept checking my mobile throughout as my parents were on a flight back from Zante at the time.

I remember my dad telling me that during the flight, they were all asked to sit in their original seats and the crew started checking the manifest, but did not tell the passengers why. As soon as they landed and found out what had happened, my dad wanted to get on the next flight to the US to help look for survivors, which was down to the fact that so many fire fighters were lost and they seem to have an international bond.

I could see why he wanted to do so, but I was glad that he didn't go, just in case there were further attacks.
Old 11 September 2010, 09:26 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was working nights and had just got up .. I came down to my family in the front room around the tv as the second plane hit ..
Old 11 September 2010, 09:34 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I was in Chester on my lunch hour. Got back to the office and colleague said that a plane had flown in to the first tower, then 20 minutes later a second one had. I thought he was taking the ****.

A memorable day. I bought all the newspapers the following day, still have them. It's still incredible to read them 9 years later, it's kind of surreal.

Geezer
Old 11 September 2010, 09:40 AM
daviee
Scooby Regular

I was in Tenerife two days before the end of my holiday, came back in the apartment late afternoon pre-siesta switched on TV, SKY news. I thought it was a Bruce Willis Flick I was watching, and then the penney dropped, just as the first tower fell.

The plane home on the Thursday was only 10 mins delayed, amazing that the world’s aircraft fleet had been parked up two days before. The Spanish security was as lackluster as ever. I also remember the plane home to be very quiet for a holiday jet.
Old 11 September 2010, 09:44 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Manning an offshore air/sea control facility... had just grabbed a coffee returned to my desk and watched the second plane hit live... even though this was the other side of the world we scrambled all our resources to de-man our facilities.
Old 11 September 2010, 09:45 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nothing quite as exciting . Was living on a boat in marina with workshop next door - prolly listening to Mark an Lard and then stuck the tv on
Old 11 September 2010, 09:47 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

I was at work on 9/11.
A work colleague who had been with me in NY in September the previous year came to find me and told me what was happening. He had a miniature TV at work and was watching live.
We had been up to the top of the North tower during our visit in 2000
Old 11 September 2010, 09:56 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Sitting in the office, listening / watching it on bbc news online. Fearing for 1 of my American relations that works near the twin towers. Thankfully, she'd decided to work from home that day.

Now I know I had it lucky, 1 of the gunclub was working on a cruise ship, 1 of his colleagues was on the phone to her husband in the south tower when the plane went in.

Last edited by Simon C; 11 September 2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11 September 2010, 10:00 AM
Gregsti01
Scooby Regular

I was putting in wet fire systems on the top floor of the highest office block in Bournmouth,just was stunned,you could imagine looking out at aircraft flying around us,people on site never came back up that day.Also it is my eldest Daughters Birthday,the day her marriage was dissolved.
Old 11 September 2010, 10:13 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I was at work. The MD had his tv on (yes a tv in his office ). We all stopped work and watched. It was terrible
Old 11 September 2010, 10:20 AM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

I was driving north bound on the m42 listening to marc and lard. :-(

Quick Reply: 11/09/2001 - what where you doing when the first plane struck