Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

lasagne

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2010, 07:35 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default lasagne

I used to be able to cook this soo good years ago but now my idea of cooking is a menu I have told my daughter after she got a terrible lasagne in the restaurant last last week that I will cook a proper one this week. I have never cooked one in 15 years and pricing the ingredients up I would rather order in than cook it but I have to make a show Whats the best way to get a great tasting lasagne sauce do I make my own white or use the packet ??? cheese sauce mix or proper cheese , do I use passata or chopped tomotoes???

My daughter seems to think her mother cooks the best pasta dishes ever even though they are bland and over cooked so it more of a nah nah nah competition
Old 10 September 2010, 07:55 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quality ingredients are key as with most dishes.

I use a Ragu red lasagne sauce and add finely chopped mushrooms, onion garlic once they have been fried together in olive oil to release the flavours.

I also add a tin of tomatoes - again good quality along with salt and pepper to taste and often a veg stock cube. the measurements are by taste tbh but i usually make two family sized ones at a time 800g quality mince, large tin ragu on tin tomatoes i large onion 3 cloves garlic and 3 or so mushrooms dependent on size and shape.

Cook the mince with some oil first for 5 or so mins with a little salt and pepper drain off most of the fat that comes out of the meat and add the other ingredients and let it simmer for 30 mins on a low heat.

usually buy the white sauce in along with quality pasta. Have made the white sauce before now but not a great success.

do not forget to add cheese to the top prior to cooking - mozzarella or a mild cheddar will do ust fine
Old 10 September 2010, 08:28 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

thank god my wife made lasagne tonight otherwise you would have made me quite hungry Paul
Old 10 September 2010, 08:56 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

+1 for Ragu over Dolmio.

The nicest white sauce Ive ever had was made using ricotta, which may not be authentic (if anything really is), but it was very nice, although a good deal stiffer than a normal white sauce.
Old 10 September 2010, 09:04 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

I wasn't planing on using a premixed sauce as I want it to be pure man made I go over the top with olive oils and spices people forget how good a normal sauce can be.

This will be one proper home cooked meal, I need to prove a point
Old 10 September 2010, 10:40 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

dolmio !

id rather get a 99p microwave lasgane - in fact i did
Old 10 September 2010, 10:52 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

This is the best lasagne recipe I know. I use it as my party piece and it easily feeds 10 people (just reduce the quantities if you want to feed less). The only improvement I make is to not use tinned tomatoes, but fresh tomatoes from my dad's allotment.

You will also need your largest frying pan, a medium flameproof casserole with a 4½ pint (2.6 litre) capacity and a roasting tin or ovenproof dish measuring about 10 x 12 x 3 inches (25.5 x 30 x 7.5 cm), well buttered.

Ingredients

1 lb (450 g) green no-cook lasagne sheets (about 24 sheets)
14 oz (400 g) Mozzarella, diced
4 oz (110 g) Parmesan (Parmigiano Reggiano), freshly grated
For the ragù Bolognese:
12 oz (350 g) minced beef
12 oz (350 g) minced pork
6 oz (175 g) chicken livers
2 x 100 g packs pancetta
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 fat cloves garlic, chopped
2 tins Italian chopped tomatoes, one 400 g, one 230 g
6 level tablespoons tomato purée
6 fl oz (175 ml) red wine
whole nutmeg
salt and freshly milled black pepper
1 x 15 g pack fresh basil
For the cream sauce:
2½ pints (1.5 litres) milk
6 oz (175 g) butter
4 oz (110 g) plain flour
6 fl oz (175 ml) double cream

Method

First of all take the large frying pan, the largest you have, and heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over a medium heat and gently fry the onion for about 10 minutes, moving it around from time to time. While the onion is softening, chop the pancetta: the best way to do this after opening the pack is to roll the contents into a sausage shape, then using a sharp knife, slice it lengthways into 4, then slice the lengths across as finely as possible. After 10 minutes, add this to the pan to join the onion, add the garlic and continue cooking the whole lot for about 5 minutes. Now transfer this mixture to the casserole. Then add another tablespoon of oil to the pan, turn up the heat to it highest then add the minced beef and brown it, breaking it up and moving it round in the pan. A wooden fork is really helpful here. When the beef is browned tip it into the casserole to join the onions etc then heat another tablespoon of oil and do exactly the same with the minced pork. While the pork is browning, trim the chicken livers, rinse them under cold running water and dry them thoroughly with kitchen paper. Pull off any skin and snip out any odd bits of fat or tubes with kitchen scissors and chop them minutely small. When the pork is browned, transfer that to the casserole, then finally heat the remaining tablespoon of oil and cook the pieces of chicken liver, adding these to the casserole as soon as they have browned nicely. Next you need to remove the pan then place the casserole over the direct heat and give everything a really good stir together, then add the contents of both tins of tomatoes, the tomato purée, red wine and a really good seasoning of salt, pepper and about a quarter of a nutmeg, grated. More stirring now, then allow this to come up to simmering point.

While that happens strip the leaves from half the basil, tear them into small pieces and add them to the pot. Then as soon as everything is simmering, place the casserole on the centre shelf of the oven, pre-heated to gas mark 1, 275°F (140°C), and leave it to cook slowly, without a lid, for exactly 4 hours. It's a good idea to have a look after 3 hours to make sure all is well and have a good stir, but what you should end up with is a thick, reduced concentrated sauce with only a trace of liquid left in it, so when that happens remove it from the oven, taste to check the seasoning then strip the leaves off the remaining basil, tear them small and stir them in.

Now to make the cream sauce, place the milk, butter and flour and some seasoning in a large thick-based saucepan. Place this over a gentle heat and whisk continuously with a balloon whisk until the sauce comes to simmering point and thickens. Then, with the heat as low as possible, continue to cook the sauce for about 10 minutes. After that, sieve the sauce into a bowl, beat in the cream, taste and season if it needs it and grate in another quarter of the whole nutmeg. Now spread about a quarter of the ragù over the base of the prepared roasting tin or dish. Cover this with one fifth of the cream sauce, followed by a quarter of the diced mozzarella, then arrange a single layer of the lasagne over the top (about 6 sheets). I find you need four placed side by side lengthways and the other two halved and spread along the gap that's left. Repeat this process, finishing with a final layer of cream sauce. Then cover the whole lot with the grated Parmesan cheese – and the lasagne is ready for the oven. All this preparation can be done well in advance. Then when you're ready to bake the lasagne pop it into a pre-heated oven, gas mark 4, 350°F (180°C) on the upper shelf for 45-50 minutes or until it's bubbling and turning slightly golden on top.
Old 10 September 2010, 10:58 PM
BigBurnz
Scooby Regular

jaimie olivers lasagne in his ministry of food book is pretty tasty
Old 10 September 2010, 11:29 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

never ever buy bottled sauces - you can make fresh sauce in about 8 mins.
Old 10 September 2010, 11:35 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Never used a packet sauce thing, if you ate ever stuck for what to put in, have a look on one of the jars, pick all the fresh ingredients and leave out all the crap and preservatives.

Also I would make a cheese sauce rather than a white one, but that's just because I love cheese.
Old 11 September 2010, 09:07 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
quality ingredients are key as with most dishes.
usually buy the white sauce
Oh the irony!
Old 11 September 2010, 09:12 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
Never used a packet sauce thing, if you ate ever stuck for what to put in, have a look on one of the jars, pick all the fresh ingredients and leave out all the crap and preservatives.

Also I would make a cheese sauce rather than a white one, but that's just because I love cheese.
Even better if you can make the passatta out of tomatoes grown in your own garden and basil out from you own plant.

As of for lasagne, the sauce should be a bechamel which is a little more involved than a plain white or cheese sauce
Old 11 September 2010, 09:21 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
Oh the irony!
You can buy good quality white sauce - often it is knowing how best to spend your time and sauce making is not always best use

I am sure the dinner parties must just fly by at the trout residence! Is there a slide show of your greatest fishing moments and witty anecdotes from all those Muse concerts. Most importantly and do they get a tour of the grounds and veg plots where dinner originated from - do tell, is it conducted from a safari spec land rover

Last edited by The Zohan; 11 September 2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11 September 2010, 09:27 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Making a decent bechemal sauce would add no time to the total cooking time of lasagne. It knowing how best to use your time to ensure you have real quality in your food
Old 11 September 2010, 09:32 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Making a decent bechemal sauce would add no time to the total cooking time of lasagne. It knowing how best to use your time to ensure you have real quality in your food
Trout has spoken - it must be gospel then, i take it that is in your (not so) humble opinion which you are oh so willing to share.
Old 11 September 2010, 09:55 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well thats lent some amusement to the start of the day , thanks

My stepmother ( in fact she wasnt quite) used to make fantastic lasagne , havnt come anywhere near with my efforts - but im sure she made it from scratch ,save the pasta , and was always served with lettuce . Must find out what was it if shes still alive
Old 11 September 2010, 10:00 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Trout has spoken - it must be gospel then, i take it that is in your (not so) humble opinion which you are oh so willing to share.
You really are pressing the irony button hard this morning. Have you been doing the ironing?
Old 11 September 2010, 10:04 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Trust me - buy this from Lidl - you will not be disappointed, the finest I've ever had.
Old 11 September 2010, 10:08 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

You really are pressing the irony button hard this morning. Have you been doing the ironing?
Lol!

frantically stabbing that button all morning thanks
Old 11 September 2010, 10:38 AM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Best tip is

Always use fresh ingredients neva frozen, tinned packet get a the propa stuff and do it from scratch dont cut corners and always spend good money on good quality ingredients.
Old 11 September 2010, 11:04 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that one it reads like it will taste nice, I will get the ingredients from asda and costco today

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't

Ingredients

1 lb (450 g) green no-cook lasagne sheets (about 24 sheets)
14 oz (400 g) Mozzarella, diced
4 oz (110 g) Parmesan (Parmigiano Reggiano), freshly grated
For the ragù Bolognese:
12 oz (350 g) minced beef
12 oz (350 g) minced pork
6 oz (175 g) chicken livers
2 x 100 g packs pancetta
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 fat cloves garlic, chopped
2 tins Italian chopped tomatoes, one 400 g, one 230 g
6 level tablespoons tomato purée
6 fl oz (175 ml) red wine
whole nutmeg
salt and freshly milled black pepper
1 x 15 g pack fresh basil
For the cream sauce:
2½ pints (1.5 litres) milk
6 oz (175 g) butter
4 oz (110 g) plain flour
6 fl oz (175 ml) double cream

Method

First of all take the large frying pan, the largest you have, and heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over a medium heat and gently fry the onion for about 10 minutes, moving it around from time to time. While the onion is softening, chop the pancetta: the best way to do this after opening the pack is to roll the contents into a sausage shape, then using a sharp knife, slice it lengthways into 4, then slice the lengths across as finely as possible. After 10 minutes, add this to the pan to join the onion, add the garlic and continue cooking the whole lot for about 5 minutes. Now transfer this mixture to the casserole. Then add another tablespoon of oil to the pan, turn up the heat to it highest then add the minced beef and brown it, breaking it up and moving it round in the pan. A wooden fork is really helpful here. When the beef is browned tip it into the casserole to join the onions etc then heat another tablespoon of oil and do exactly the same with the minced pork. While the pork is browning, trim the chicken livers, rinse them under cold running water and dry them thoroughly with kitchen paper. Pull off any skin and snip out any odd bits of fat or tubes with kitchen scissors and chop them minutely small. When the pork is browned, transfer that to the casserole, then finally heat the remaining tablespoon of oil and cook the pieces of chicken liver, adding these to the casserole as soon as they have browned nicely. Next you need to remove the pan then place the casserole over the direct heat and give everything a really good stir together, then add the contents of both tins of tomatoes, the tomato purée, red wine and a really good seasoning of salt, pepper and about a quarter of a nutmeg, grated. More stirring now, then allow this to come up to simmering point.

Old 11 September 2010, 03:56 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

You can buy good quality white sauce - often it is knowing how best to spend your time and sauce making is not always best use

I am sure the dinner parties must just fly by at the trout residence! Is there a slide show of your greatest fishing moments and witty anecdotes from all those Muse concerts. Most importantly and do they get a tour of the grounds and veg plots where dinner originated from - do tell, is it conducted from a safari spec land rover
I have never seen such a ridiculous idea in all my life.

We would never get around the estate in time in a Land Rover - a helicopter is a must or we wouldn't get back in time for dinner!

I have had painted red to match the two new 599 GTOs I have ordered.

Old 11 September 2010, 04:31 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
never ever buy bottled sauces - you can make fresh sauce in about 8 mins.
+1 the way canned and bottled stuff is preserved kills all the flavour.
Old 11 September 2010, 04:33 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Paul,

it looks like you might be getting outvoted on the white sauce that you buy

Finished the ironing yet?

Trout
Old 11 September 2010, 07:28 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Just made it and everything was fresh, I ended up following Gordon Ramseys recipe for it. I will be eating it later when X factor is on