Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

NHS Continuing Care Assessment.

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2010, 08:55 AM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NHS Continuing Care Assessment.

Anyone had any experience of one of these?

My mum's having one in a couple of weeks, and I wondered what to expect. Any advice?
Old 25 August 2010, 01:01 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Whats one of those mate, sounds helpful.
Old 25 August 2010, 01:19 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Uaually done by an independent doctor who will examine your mother to assess her problems and what sort of care etc. that she needs. I don't know of course whether their methods have changed though. You can expect to have to fight a bit to get the right assessment depending on the doctor of course.

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 25 August 2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 25 August 2010, 01:22 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

It's for care funding which is paid by the NHS. When someone has to go in to a care home, if their case is bad enough, they are assessed to see whether or not they are eligible for Continuing Care Funding. They have to meet certain criteria, and it's very strict, so I don't hold out much hope of getting it. However, once she's been assessed, she'll be 'in the loop' as it were and will be assessed annually, so as she deteriorates she'll have more chance of getting it.
Old 25 August 2010, 01:43 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Aaah I understand now. Good luck with that mate. I know how frustrating it can be getting any kind of care.
Old 25 August 2010, 03:37 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sorry I misunderstood the question. Well I wish you luck and I hope its not too unpleasant or irritating.

Les
Old 25 August 2010, 04:19 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

My grandmother had one organised by my mother, who was concerned her memory was shot and dementia was kicking in. When the doctor (possibly a social worker) attended, my gran was on form, memory sharp as a tack, no issues obvious whatsoever. My mum was fuming!
Old 25 August 2010, 06:17 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Sorry Leslie, I wasn't ignoring your post.......It must have appeared whilst I was typing my reply to Snazy.

Myles........my mum's been sectioned twice, and is now in a permanent care home for Alzheimer's/dementia sufferers. BUT.......when she 'talks' to you, all the stuff she's saying is bollox, but the speech pattern is such that you would think what she's saying is real life (a bit like Swiss! ).

I'm just worried that she's not going to come across as bad as she is (she's on meds as well), but I suppose they know what they're dealing with. It's just that they don't like to give out the funding, so I know it will be tough.
Old 25 August 2010, 06:37 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by oldsplice
.......when she 'talks' to you, all the stuff she's saying is bollox, but the speech pattern is such that you would think what she's saying is real life (a bit like Swiss! )
Swiss is also an old lady
Old 25 August 2010, 07:28 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Swiss is also an old lady

Old 25 August 2010, 08:02 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Sorry Leslie, I wasn't ignoring your post.......It must have appeared whilst I was typing my reply to Snazy.

Myles........my mum's been sectioned twice, and is now in a permanent care home for Alzheimer's/dementia sufferers. BUT.......when she 'talks' to you, all the stuff she's saying is bollox, but the speech pattern is such that you would think what she's saying is real life (a bit like Swiss! ).

I'm just worried that she's not going to come across as bad as she is (she's on meds as well), but I suppose they know what they're dealing with. It's just that they don't like to give out the funding, so I know it will be tough.
It is difficult. My mum has her best interests at heart, but my gran still is coherent most of the time. She did ask me whos birthday it was when we were out for a meal; it was mine! I really dont see it day to day, but my mum swears its getting to the point where it may be serious. The only plus point is she has a 'gentleman friend' who really looks after her, takes her on hols, out for lunch every Sunday, a real gent. (he aint getting his hands on my inheritance though! (Only a joke))
Old 25 August 2010, 08:21 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

When my mum first started showing signs, my brothers and my sister-in-law couldn't see that she was as bad as I could see she was. At first we thought it was the shock of my dad's sudden death (beginning of Feb), but then I could see it was something else...... She deteriorated so rapidly, it was only 8 weeks after my dad's death that she was sectioned. We hadn't had a clue before dad went.
Old 26 August 2010, 12:47 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Didn't realise he looks that good!

Les