Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

job change

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2010, 08:35 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question job change

ok im currently in full time work working for a company that resurface roads im a forman though summer running a 4 man gang which i am the only one who can on the company due to me taking over from my grandad
though the winter i drive planers (they dig the road up) now for a while ive just not been injoying work i get treated like **** now they have taken another guy on who is driving my planer while im doing the summer work but they are keeping him full time so when summer ends im not sure what il be doing they are trying to to push me down the hand laying tarmac route which i have no interest in at all
today was the last straw i just had enuff so i rang a big planing company was told there are not looking for workers but i sounded like the ideal person that they look for and have offered me a job starting a week today but you work days and nights if needed and stop away alot but you are paid very well with a week of double shifts you can come out with 1200-1500 ish a week you have your own van with bed cooker in i allready have my own van with the company im with but we dont really do alot of night work i earn 125 a day before tax where i am
ive spoken to the boss at work and ive told him how i feel and that ive been offered another job he was suprised but was also understanding and we talked for about an hour about why i want to leave he was being quite negative about what to expect from another company and also said they are looking to buy a new big machine that i would be driving but half of me thinks he may be saying that to swing me from not leaving i do like working for them but id also like to move on to newer bigger machines so now i just dont know what to do my job is safe where i am but not sure if with the new company it would be last in first out ??

long post i know and my spelling i crap as is my grammer sorry
Old 23 August 2010, 09:05 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the new job,if not,give them my number
Old 23 August 2010, 09:09 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
Take the new job,if not,give them my number
plus mine
Old 23 August 2010, 09:11 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick schofield
plus mine
I'll buy the company
Old 23 August 2010, 09:31 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

great so two of you want the job if i dont and the other want to buy the company still dont know what to do im 50 50 !!
Old 23 August 2010, 09:58 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

It's up to you, do what you feel is right. It's not all about the money - do you have a family that you would miss staying away for nights on end for example. Only you know what's best, if we make the decision for you, don't blame us if it goes wrong!
Old 23 August 2010, 10:11 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by howellsy42
great so two of you want the job if i dont and the other want to buy the company still dont know what to do im 50 50 !!
As i said,take the new job
Old 23 August 2010, 10:30 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Put it this way are there many jobs going doing what you do, my guess it is quite tough at the moment just like most of the other construction/civils trades.

If you think you can afford to take the risk that it may not work out and you have to find another job then go for it, if you feel that the risk is too high given the potential outcome then stay and see what happens.
Old 23 August 2010, 10:33 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

I need to be able to blame some one if it goes Pete tong Yes have a wife and a little boy due November ish !! But the wife is the most understand person I've ever met she must be to have married me
Old 24 August 2010, 12:45 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its certainly not very good when they start treating you like someone of no significant importance especially when you have worked well on their account.

I don't think it is right to tell you what to do since only you can make the best decision. I think you have to be pretty sure about the new firm before you jump anyway.

Les
Old 24 August 2010, 12:53 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You say it involves stopping away alot... for how long at a time? If it's just a few nights or even a full working week from time to time, it wouldn't be too bad, but if it's going to be longer than that it might not be ideal with your wife expecting.

On the other hand, with the kind of money you're talking about there, you'd be able to have a good holiday abroad twice a year and probably pay some money into savings for him if you wanted to do that. Both those things would ultimately benefit him even though you might see less of him during the week etc.
Old 25 August 2010, 07:29 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

thanks for the comments a few things have changed these last few days with work so im staying for the time being but having a talk with work and them now knowing that other companys are will to take me i think has made them take a step back and look at how the treat me