Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anybody been to Cuba????

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2010, 04:48 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody been to Cuba????

Going on holiday to Holguin in Cuba in a couple of weeks!!!! Anybody been, whats it like??? Also where did you change your currency as most travel agents etc wont change into Cuban currency and been told to change it into Euro's and get it changed when im over there!!!!
Old 22 August 2010, 05:53 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Take American dollars as they love the Americans. When i was in the cayman. Islands we just spent took the currency from there.
Old 22 August 2010, 06:14 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Mate of mine goes regularly and says it is awesome. Enjoy
Old 22 August 2010, 06:21 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Frosticles
Mate of mine goes regularly and says it is awesome. Enjoy
I've a friend the same.

I would have gone this year but i could only take a week off and thought it was too far for one week. I've only heard good things about Cuba as a holiday.

Aaron
Old 22 August 2010, 06:41 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Cant wait, counting the days now!!!!

stevebt, I thought Cuba and America dont get on!!!! So taking dollars is a big no no Ive been to other parts of the caribbean and they all love american dollars, but as Cuba and the amercians have had there trouble's in the past I thought that dollars where not accepted!!!
Old 23 August 2010, 01:08 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Can't advise you but enjoy the holiday. Wonder if they do tours of the rocket sites!

Les
Old 23 August 2010, 02:07 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Take Euros or £s, anything but $s, You can take $s but they charge a levie on them as well as the usual tax. Have a look and see which is the best way to do it re the exchange rates. Change a few at the airport to cover your immidiate expensese then change the rest at your hotel (better rates than the air port). Enjoy

Now thats gotta be worth a nice cigar

Last edited by Glowplug; 23 August 2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 23 August 2010, 02:48 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Cuba is amazing.

As above, re $ & £.

There are actually two currencies in Cuba - the "convertible pesos" and the "Cuban pesos".

The convertible pesos are issued to tourists and are used to buy luxuries - IE non-food & essentials.

The Cuban pesos is used for the basic stuff. The difference between the two (from memory) was 12 Cuban Pesos to one Tourist Pesos.

You are NOT allowed to take either currency out of the country - and you'll get a right bollocking if you do & are caught.

Despite what you will be allowed to see Cuba is actually a very poor country. The people are well educated and have good state healthcare - but that's about it. Anything which is deemed as a non-essential or luxury product is not available to joe public.

Tips:

- Take bloody good mossi repellant - 85% DEET as a minimum.
- Take room plugins for above.
- If you are all inclusive take a big plastic travel mug - to use for refills.
- Tips - Tip people 1/2 way through holiday, and then at the end, give them all your toiletries. Women go nuts for nail varnish, soap, shampoo etc. If you have any kids clothing / shoes spare - take that up too - it'll be much appreciated.
- Cigars - Loads on the black market at 1/3 the price to the "State sponsored" ones. Quality can be hit & miss - but try before you buy & don't get caught taking them out of the country!.
- Do not try and take any artwork / shells etc out as this is frowned upon - regardless of what the salesman is telling you. If you MUST HAVE a piece of art, you must buy an "export certificate" before you can legally take it out.
- Be VERY mindful of the baggage weight when leaving. Due to the humidity your clothing will be VERY heavy - this on top of you Havana Club may lead to trouble. Our cases were - 5KG over the pittiful 15kg limit - the check in clerk said "that will be $190 for extra baggage" then quietly "if you have any pesos's left you can tip me". Enough said.

Havana Club - avoid the white "bacardi like" stuff, drink the dark rum. It should be a crime to mix anything older than the 8 year stuff with any mixers. It REALLY is good. My fav tipple was a cuba libre. Mohito's are also good.

Cigar factory - Not worth a visit.
Havana - Worth a visit - two days only (whistle stop tour). Don't be shocked by poverty.
Rum factory - Worth a visit.

Strange laws:

1. It is illegal to buy or sell a car - then can only be handed down the family or granted from the government.
2. You are obliged to pick up hitch-hikers
3. If you happen to be wealthy enough to build a house, you can only have one floor. You must allow someone else to build above you.

Sorry for the brain dump

I'll answer any questions you have.
Old 23 August 2010, 02:52 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add:

- If you have any credit cards which are based around a US bank - leave them at home. They will not work.
- If you plan to go scuba diving, take your own dive computer. The rest of the equipment I saw was OK - but no depth gauges worked!!!
Old 23 August 2010, 06:33 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
Cuba is amazing.

As above, re $ & £.

There are actually two currencies in Cuba - the "convertible pesos" and the "Cuban pesos".

The convertible pesos are issued to tourists and are used to buy luxuries - IE non-food & essentials.

The Cuban pesos is used for the basic stuff. The difference between the two (from memory) was 12 Cuban Pesos to one Tourist Pesos.

You are NOT allowed to take either currency out of the country - and you'll get a right bollocking if you do & are caught.

Despite what you will be allowed to see Cuba is actually a very poor country. The people are well educated and have good state healthcare - but that's about it. Anything which is deemed as a non-essential or luxury product is not available to joe public.

Tips:

- Tips - Tip people 1/2 way through holiday, and then at the end, give them all your toiletries. Women go nuts for nail varnish, soap, shampoo etc. If you have any kids clothing / shoes spare - take that up too - it'll be much appreciated.
- Cigars - Loads on the black market at 1/3 the price to the "State sponsored" ones. Quality can be hit & miss - but try before you buy & don't get caught taking them out of the country!.
- Do not try and take any artwork / shells etc out as this is frowned upon - regardless of what the salesman is telling you. If you MUST HAVE a piece of art, you must buy an "export certificate" before you can legally take it out.
- Be VERY mindful of the baggage weight when leaving. Due to the humidity your clothing will be VERY heavy - this on top of you Havana Club may lead to trouble. Our cases were - 5KG over the pittiful 15kg limit - the check in clerk said "that will be $190 for extra baggage" then quietly "if you have any pesos's left you can tip me". Enough said.

Havana Club - avoid the white "bacardi like" stuff, drink the dark rum. It should be a crime to mix anything older than the 8 year stuff with any mixers. It REALLY is good. My fav tipple was a cuba libre. Mohito's are also good.

Havana - Worth a visit - two days only (whistle stop tour). Don't be shocked by poverty.

Strange laws:

1. It is illegal to buy or sell a car - then can only be handed down the family or granted from the government.
3. If you happen to be wealthy enough to build a house, you can only have one floor. You must allow someone else to build above you.

Sorry for the brain dump

Forgot to add:

- If you have any credit cards which are based around a US bank - leave them at home. They will not work.
- If you plan to go scuba diving, take your own dive computer. The rest of the equipment I saw was OK - but no depth gauges worked!!!
I don't think you'll get advice like this from trip advisor Top info there and if/when i go to Cuba i'll be PM'ing you
Old 23 August 2010, 09:49 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Cuba is amazing.

As above, re $ & £.

Tips:

Strange laws:

Sorry for the brain dump

Awesome write up mate, Everything I needed to know you have answered!!!

Just one more question though, Holguin is supposed to be about 8 hours from Havanna(cant go to Cuba without going to Havanna) I have heard you can catch a flight to Havanna for the day, Do you know if this can be done and how much would this cost!!!

Where did you stay in Cuba????
Old 23 August 2010, 10:22 PM
Gav-WRX
Scooby Regular

I got back from Cuba on Friday, really fantastic place. My tip would be to buy the cigars in the airport on the way back as they were cheaper than the shops in the resorts.
Old 23 August 2010, 10:26 PM
Japorter
Scooby Regular

Location: OLD MY53 STi @ 341bhp/349lbft -> NOW Evo 8 385bhp/380lbft

I have been to honduras tho when I was 11 with my dad... even better!!!!!!
Old 23 August 2010, 11:01 PM
type-r-stan
Scooby Regular

I just came back from Cuba last week, what hotel are you staying at ?? we stayed at the Playa Sirenis whch was a decent 4 star, just dont bother with the 'oriental' restaurant. friends stayed in playa pesquero and really enjoyed it.. in fact they are on their way back tonight...

you need sterling which you change in the hotel.

guardlavaca beach is worth spending a day at, really beautiful white sand and crystal clear water good for snorkelling. There is an open top bus which will take you there from most of the hotels or a taxi is 25 pesos return. There is also a market there which changes stalls so somedays theres loads of wooden stuff and another more paintings. nothing was overpriced though, lots of knik-naks for kids..

the fishing is very good and i'd recommdend the 25peso trip to the Mangrove Fishing. you can also do deep sea fishing which is about 70 pesos. (when we were there last week, 100 pounds gave you 140 pesos)

and its bloody boiling at the moment!!! and really humid..

Hope you have a great trip.
Old 24 August 2010, 09:22 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

The trip from Holguin to Havana was about 3 hours by plane - DO NOT TAKE THE BUS.

Cuba is actually the size of the UK - but going east to West - rather than north to south. Roads are hit and miss.

Again, they operate two airlines - one tourist / business, the other domestic.

Main difference being the age of the plane used. . . . We were on something similar to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-24

/edit
It was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-114

Just don't read the news about air incidents in Cuba. . . .

We had a night flight going home and the electrical storms were amazing from the air.

From memory the 2/3 day trip was about $200.00 each

We also stayed in the playa pesquero - and it was the nuts.

Last edited by BlkKnight; 24 August 2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 24 August 2010, 11:46 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What about the women ? I heard they are very attractive and friendly
Old 24 August 2010, 11:52 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

I didn't get professionally involved

Cuba because of it's history does not have a "look". There are Caucasian, Hispanic, African and oriental Cubans.

Yes, many of them are attractive!
Old 25 August 2010, 08:17 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Im stopping at the Sol Rio de luna y mares in guardalavaca, I thought it was Holguin, but just looked at the tickets and its in Guardalavaca.

Anyway only a week and 3 days to go!!!!