Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

ENGAGEMENT RING

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2010, 11:33 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ENGAGEMENT RING

I recently ask my gf to marry me, why you might ask and on most days I ask the same question...... The question is does it matter where the ring is bought from in your eyes ??

Dont know if im just becoming a soft lad or what but I thought it was all about what it represented and that I bought it with care and all that **** (prob wrong site for this question having thoght about it)

I told my partner were going shopping for this in town (Leeds) and I was told it can olny be bought from this or that shop and its gota look like this and all types of demands, wish I bought it before I asked her now as it would have been alot easier and stress free otherwise.

Just really pissed me off about all the demands, I must be getting old or soft or both.

Opinions
Old 13 August 2010, 11:45 PM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

Congrats mate. I am afraid you might have to listen to your other half on this. For you and i its all that goes with the ring but for them it's THE RING, and everything that goes with THE RING.

This is only going to happen once in your life so you might have to let her have her way on this.
Old 14 August 2010, 08:03 AM
gisalook
Scooby Regular

The shortest sentence in english is (I am)
The longest sentence is (I do)
Old 14 August 2010, 08:22 AM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

its the thought that counts, not how much it costs
Old 14 August 2010, 08:24 AM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I surprised my wife by getting a one off ring made before I asked.
Old 14 August 2010, 08:25 AM
freakin
Scooby Regular

argos mate, elizabeth duke will earn you lots of favours
Old 14 August 2010, 08:27 AM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B4D HK
its the thought that counts, not how much it costs
If only they thought like that. I'd have so much more spare cash
Old 14 August 2010, 08:56 AM
mervil
Scooby Regular

I proposed to the mrs in New York and then went shopping for the ring, I was surprised when she picked something simple and relatively cheap! 3hrs later it was ready andshe was a happy bunny! Not all women are greedy!
Old 14 August 2010, 09:16 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Watch out in Leeds. Almost all the Jewellery shops are owned by the same people and prices are inflated.
Old 14 August 2010, 09:22 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Tight ****....
Old 14 August 2010, 09:26 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Shes clearly a gold digger , get out whilst you can !
Old 14 August 2010, 09:34 AM
siannie
Scooby Regular

I got engaged in April and my lovely bf got the ring made to order - for me that meant a lot as it was individual to me....http://www.bluenile.co.uk

And many congratulations to you both!!!!
Old 14 August 2010, 10:38 AM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

I got engaged to miy girlfriend on the Friday 6th August and we both went and looked for a ring together.

We had discussed the prospect of marrying only the week before and agreed it was a good idea. We then arranged to look for ring. Before going I went to my local Catholic Parish Priest (my family are catholic) and asked him about dates for next year. We popped for Sat Aug 6th next year so looking for a ring was very fitting exactly on year before we actually marry.

We trawled the shops but found nothing we were attracted to but ended up buying an Edwardian 18carat 2 diamond and sapphire ring in an antique jewellery store.

My girlfriend absolutely loves it. She doesnt ask for much off me so I was more than happy to indulge her.

She loves it and that is all that counts to me. Hopefully she will ony ever be engaged once in life and that is to me so she can have want she wants.

If she was a constant moan however things would be different. I wouldnt be with her let alone marrying her. I have had my fair share of moaney **** women.
Old 14 August 2010, 10:44 AM
CAT2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Shes clearly a gold digger , get out whilst you can !
My Mrs of 20 years tends to agree!!
Old 14 August 2010, 10:55 AM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobywrxwagon
I recently ask my gf to marry me, why you might ask and on most days I ask the same question...... The question is does it matter where the ring is bought from in your eyes ??

Dont know if im just becoming a soft lad or what but I thought it was all about what it represented and that I bought it with care and all that **** (prob wrong site for this question having thoght about it)

I told my partner were going shopping for this in town (Leeds) and I was told it can olny be bought from this or that shop and its gota look like this and all types of demands, wish I bought it before I asked her now as it would have been alot easier and stress free otherwise.

Just really pissed me off about all the demands, I must be getting old or soft or both.

Opinions
She just wants it to be perfect. I don't envy you when it comes to organising the wedding
Old 14 August 2010, 12:59 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Welcome to (almost) married life

TX.
Old 14 August 2010, 01:09 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Thanks for opinions guys, Just to add i`m not been tight far from it she can have the ring she chooses but the whole reason I didnt propose with one is because of this big thing of where it comes from. I was going to ask a jeweler to make one for me to my exact spec but when I mentioned that(in passing talk) she said she didnt want one made as "u might be able to tell someone made it" When anything is made by hand rather than a machine its not going to be perfect and in my eyes thats the whole charm about having one taylor made but obviously I was wrong there. I also mention looking at older rings ie antique rings as in my eyes the have a lil more charm and mystery but NO she doesnt want that either. I`m not a great lover of generic machine made rings that god knows how many ppl have. I just wanted some thing a lil different that when she looked at it it made her eyes light up and think of US.

As much as it for her I also want to have a lil input into what she gets but it looks like that wont be happening.......

WOMEN.... no disrespect intended ladys lol
Old 14 August 2010, 02:17 PM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Well in my opinion if that how she thinks, get out now. Sounds like she is more interested in the material side of things than what getting married is all about.

If shes demanding the above at this stage, imagine how she is going to be later on.
Old 14 August 2010, 02:31 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I'd tell her to save that crap for the wedding. (not phrased exactly like that) You get the drift; Go to town on the wedding, but keep it simple and sentimental for the engagement.

If its pretty and she likes it why does it matter where it came from or how much it cost.

She said she didnt want one made as "u might be able to tell someone made it"
I think she needs a slap IMO. A custom one off ring is unique - nobody else in the world will have one quite the same.

A machine, or mass produced ring is just that. Like a shopping trolley - they are all the same. Not unique and cheaply made. Although being cheap maybe an advantage - as long as the retailer doesn't stitch you by charging RRP (like many chain/franchise jewelers Goldsmiths. etc)

But hey ho, if makes her happy, it makes you happy, right? If not, you need to think things over more.

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 August 2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 14 August 2010, 02:34 PM
stibex
Scooby Regular

i agree me my half got engeaged 6 years ago havent married yet we cant afford it but a peace papper mean nuthink but my ring cost 30 pound not about he money or diamonds in my eyes
Old 14 August 2010, 03:21 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

There is a lot of junk sold on the highstreets at inflated prices.

If you are spending a reasonable amount, avoid being conned by buying a properly certified diamond (ie only GIA, AGSL). Most jewellers will try and fob you off about why they don't need to be certified or how "other" certs are just as good.

Some diamonds are cut for beauty, others are cut for weight. I would go for a beautiful diamond any day over a larger less beautiful one.

Educate yourself over on PriceScope and arm yourself with enough info that will have your local jewellers running a mile.

Congrats and best of luck
Old 14 August 2010, 03:22 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

There is a lot of junk sold on the highstreets at inflated prices.

If you are spending a reasonable amount, avoid being conned by buying a properly certified diamond (ie only GIA, AGSL). Most jewellers will try and fob you off about why they don't need to be certified or how "other" certs are just as good.

Some diamonds are cut for beauty, others are cut for weight. I would go for a beautiful diamond any day over a larger less beautiful one.

Educate yourself over on PriceScope and arm yourself with enough info that will have your local jewellers running a mile.

Congrats and best of luck
Old 14 August 2010, 03:36 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Anyway what's with this thread - I thought all Subaru owners shopped in Elizabeth Duke?
Old 14 August 2010, 06:27 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

I think that women are much more discerning when it comes to items of jewellery such as rings. I went along with my girlfriend and it was only when we had looked around for a while did I realise that I would have definately got it wrong had I gone and bought something on my own.

My girlfriend is too kind a person to say I got it wrong and would have hidden her disappointment so as not to disappoint me. I am so glad we went together as we got something we both like.

At the end of the day I agree that a ring is just a ring but if its meant to signifiy one of the most important events in life surely its worth ensuring that its a ring you both (or at least your girlfriend) likes.

The girl needs to feel proud to show it to her family and friends and for them to see you really do think the world of her and not palming her off. It doesnt need to cost the earth.

Last edited by Dan W; 14 August 2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 15 August 2010, 04:30 PM
ahar
Scooby Regular

Congrats! Depending on how much you're planning to spend, certificated diamonds may not be worth it. If you're going to spend £1k plus then maybe, otherwise just put up with her choices of shops and get ready with the credit card!

When I bought my wife's engagement ring we went shopping together and she was given a budget and made her own choice But then, she works for De Beers so I wouldn't have been much use anyway!
Old 15 August 2010, 04:54 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pawn shop FTW !
Old 15 August 2010, 05:20 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Anyway what's with this thread - I thought all Subaru owners shopped in Elizabeth Duke?
Naa, got mine from H Samuel.

We were engaged in 1993 and didn't get married until 2008.
Old 15 August 2010, 07:04 PM
morandpeter
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

enjoy a life of high maintenance - woman and car!
Old 15 August 2010, 07:23 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

would this thread not be better in muppets
Old 15 August 2010, 08:24 PM
kath an pete
Scooby Regular

shouldnt this be on none scooby related

Quick Reply: ENGAGEMENT RING