Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Watch advice

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2010, 11:52 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watch advice

I know there are a few watch connosisseurs on here so looking for your words of wisdom and experience

I am most likely going to buy a Rolex Deepsea Sea Dweller, i have big wrists and it seems to be the largest case rolex make. Have tried it on and happy with the fit and weight of the watch. What sort of deals can i expect to negotiate paying cash and can anyone point me in the direction of a good source to buy through.

Difference between a new one and a used one is obvious, but as an investment am i better off picking up a 3month old one that is immaculate with a good saving or just pay up and get a brand spanking new one?

Finally, any other alternatives you may sugest are welcome
Old 02 August 2010, 11:59 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

breitling super avenger. chunk of a watch. for the discerning fat bastids among us

http://www.breitling.com/en/index.ph...super-avenger/

Last edited by bigsinky; 02 August 2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02 August 2010, 12:02 PM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

Have you thought about a http://www.breitling.com/en/index.ph...rono-galactic/.
Old 02 August 2010, 01:11 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

If you want a big watch. Breitling for Bentley are quite big.

I'm liking the new Breitling for Bentley Supersports. £7k though.
Old 02 August 2010, 02:50 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alloy
I know there are a few watch connosisseurs on here so looking for your words of wisdom and experience

I am most likely going to buy a Rolex Deepsea Sea Dweller, i have big wrists and it seems to be the largest case rolex make. Have tried it on and happy with the fit and weight of the watch. What sort of deals can i expect to negotiate paying cash and can anyone point me in the direction of a good source to buy through.

Difference between a new one and a used one is obvious, but as an investment am i better off picking up a 3month old one that is immaculate with a good saving or just pay up and get a brand spanking new one?

Excellent choice. It is a stunning watch, a league ahead of anything Brietling make.

You'll be lucky to negotiate any deals though as many dealers will a a waiting list. There was one in the window or Mappin and Webb in Buchanan Street Glasgow last week, priced at RRP. Surprised to see it, must have had some call offs.
Old 02 August 2010, 03:13 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Agree, Rolex much nicer than Breitling, I have the Sea Dweller and it's a lovely watch. However, I am also a lover of Omega, have you tried any of them? If it's chunky you're after any of their chronographs are good.
Old 02 August 2010, 03:20 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Its one hell of a thick and heavy watch, but i presume thats what you like. Tbh in that price range there are so many nice watches I don't quite know how you make up your mind. Despite this forum being a bit anti Breitling there are some nice ones as there are Omegas

Alternatively put the money into gold

Trending Topics

Old 02 August 2010, 03:37 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

personally have a Breitling so obviously will rate them, nice design and excellent reputation plus you get free beer at the Breitling Owners Club at most airshows and events they attend :-)
Old 02 August 2010, 04:00 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by baz995
personally have a Breitling so obviously will rate them, nice design and excellent reputation plus you get free beer at the Breitling Owners Club at most airshows and events they attend :-)
Really? hmmmmmm....................
Old 02 August 2010, 06:29 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

yup, unless you dont want to drink then you get free tea or coffee ;-)
Old 02 August 2010, 07:31 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I have a Breitling Super Avenger, but prefer my Rolex Subby day to day as it is much less in your face.

try Deacon's in Swindon for the Deep Sea, strangely they always seem to have good stock (they had a greem milgauss in the window last thurs).

Matt
Old 02 August 2010, 07:41 PM
jimmy77
Scooby Regular

Aslong as you have all the certs a rolex is a great investment . I've got a submarina I bought that off my uncle he owns a rolex shop. Go to any dealer and cash is king
Old 02 August 2010, 08:30 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
I have a Breitling Super Avenger, but prefer my Rolex Subby day to day as it is much less in your face.

try Deacon's in Swindon for the Deep Sea, strangely they always seem to have good stock (they had a greem milgauss in the window last thurs).

Matt
I like the Super Avenger, i went for the Aerospace Professional Limited Edition (managed number 8 of 50)

I also love the Airwolf
Old 02 August 2010, 08:40 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Nice piece. I quite fancy a Superocean II for day to day.
Old 02 August 2010, 09:11 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

I'm just away to buy a breitling myself, probably the cockpit model due to the smaller size

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/watchlis...ds-_-Breitling

Wife gets a very good discount on Breitling watches or in fact any watch. 40% off one item per year, 30% off unlimited items thereafter.

Last edited by Mitchy260; 02 August 2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02 August 2010, 10:16 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
Wife gets a very good discount on Breitling watches or in fact any watch. 40% off one item per year, 30% off unlimited items thereafter.
This comment shows you how much room there is to barter, they're hardly going to sell at a loss are they.
Old 03 August 2010, 06:47 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by baz995
I like the Super Avenger, i went for the Aerospace Professional Limited Edition (managed number 8 of 50)

I also love the Airwolf
Yes, Airwolf is fantastic!

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...ed=0CEIQ9QEwBw
Old 03 August 2010, 06:50 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Playsatan
This comment shows you how much room there is to barter, they're hardly going to sell at a loss are they.
The margins are obviously huge but bartering in high st chain stores is very difficult isn't it? I haven't bought a watch for years but it would be useful for the op to know which shop maybe the best for negotiating a discount
Old 03 August 2010, 08:01 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Playsatan
I believe at 40% they do make a loss, it's a staff incentive used once per year as part of their salary/perks.

Margins are usually set at around 35% on watches.

The majority of stores would give you around 10% on a purchase price of say a £3000 watch with a bit of haggling, I know my wife's store wont go further than 10% on a single item. On a watch worth less than £1k, unless they were struggling to meet sales targets, they would most probably tell you on your bike.

Not a fan of rolex myself, more of an old fashioned brand to me.

Last edited by Mitchy260; 03 August 2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03 August 2010, 08:07 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
The margins are obviously huge but bartering in high st chain stores is very difficult isn't it? I haven't bought a watch for years but it would be useful for the op to know which shop maybe the best for negotiating a discount
I'd help any SN member with a discount of 30% off cost with of course a little something for my efforts in return

Bought in store in the usual manner. (Friend/Family internal discount )
Old 03 August 2010, 12:07 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice, looked at the Brietling range, very nice watch but the faces are just too busy and cluttered for me. Went for the Deepsea, really happy with the purchase, it s a superb watch, only problem is it's a little too deep for my french cuffs but i can live with that! Got a good deal as well so a nice saving for a rowdy night out or an ipad and something for the missus
Old 03 August 2010, 01:00 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

My swatch is pretty good.
Old 03 August 2010, 01:15 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice, looked at the Brietling range, very nice watch but the faces are just too busy and cluttered for me. Went for the Deepsea, really happy with the purchase, it s a superb watch, only problem is it's a little too deep for my french cuffs but i can live with that! Got a good deal as well so a nice saving for a rowdy night out or an ipad and something for the missus
Yes but its got that adjustable bracelet to help you slip it over a thick wetsuit when diving, which is far more useful
Old 03 August 2010, 03:34 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Yes but its got that adjustable bracelet to help you slip it over a thick wetsuit when diving, which is far more useful
haha yeh it's nice to know that if i drop it in the ocean it will still be telling the time at 12800ft deep!
Old 03 August 2010, 03:57 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Well, only for about 44 hours. LOL!
Old 03 August 2010, 05:11 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Have you thought about a Panerai? They're large watches and not as common as Rolex.
Old 03 August 2010, 07:44 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi guys been a while since i last posted,and dont mean to pee on anyones strawberries.
But was'nt there a thread on here a while back where the general opinion was that modern rolex's wern't that good a mechanism and it was more down to good marketing/past reputation.
I have a raymond weil which is super slim as i dont like big watches and 3k is a little rich for my taste and buget.
flame suit on