Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What Smartphone?

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2010, 10:55 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool What Smartphone?

OK, the missus is looking for a new phone, and as good as iPhone is, it's simply too expensive, she cannot justify the expense.

So, what are the alternatives? I have been looking the HTC ones, and there is supposed to be a good Sony Ericsson one (Experia?), so can the good folk of Scoobynet offer some advice?

Geezer
Old 31 July 2010, 11:17 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

HTC Wildfire is looking good for a budget phone.

http://www.htc.com/uk/product/wildfire/overview.html
Old 31 July 2010, 11:28 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I'm looking about for similar. I think first you need to decide on which operating system you want, which helps narrow down the choice.

I'm pretty much settled on Android, But I prefer to have the later version (2.1, soon to be 2.2), so this narrows it down even more (un;ess you want to mess about with upgrades).

I've ruled out the Xperia X10 as it runs Android 1.x, (although SE promise an upgrade later this year, belive that if you want, bug free? I vote let other people try it first).

Second important thing for me is battery life; Two of my mates have Samsungs, one is a Galaxy Apollo i5801 and teh other is a Galaxy S, both get hammered on the battery life.

Last edited by ALi-B; 31 July 2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 31 July 2010, 11:34 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Samsung wave ?
Old 31 July 2010, 11:40 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I'm looking about for similar. I think first you need to decide on which operating system you want, which helps narrow down the choice.
I have to admit, OS wasn't even a consideration! What ones are there?

Basically, as much functionality for a reasonable price, and being a woman, it has to look nice

Geezer
Old 31 July 2010, 12:07 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Ooo loads, main ones are:

iOS (Apple: iphone etc)
Symbian (Nokia)
Windows mobile
Android (version 1 and Version 2)
Blackberry OS (blackberry)
Bada (Samsung)

Most are the manufacturers own OS so only available on their phones, but Android and Windows are brand independant, so can be had on most of the main brand phones (Windows mobile is generally regarded as crap for smartphones though, as its more tailored to PDAs ).
Old 31 July 2010, 12:11 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Android would be the main contender I would say. Desire is about to update to Froyo in certain countries which is the current one.

See how each OS works for you though, as some are a little media based, others comms based etc.

Simple answer is a Desire and upgrade to Froyo, longer answer is see when the Evo will be available.

Trending Topics

Old 31 July 2010, 12:19 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

The only issues i have with the HTC Desire are the following, the screen is stunning when your indoors but when your outside in bright light its very difficult to see the screen. The speaker isn`t very good either on the Desire, if those 2 issues were resolved on the Desire upgrade which i think comes out in a couple of months then in my opinion you would almost have the perfect phone.

The plus points for the Desire is that its stunningly fast, web browsing is a pleasure, calls are crisp and clear and it has nice built in text software thats very easy to use. Google maps are first class for navigating and i really like the sense UI with the desktop clock and weather widget.

Just don`t expect it to be a music player through the internal speaker as the speaker itself is poor, its fine for listening to music via the headphones.
Old 31 July 2010, 05:15 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife has the Desire, loves it, I have to say it makes my Blackberry look a bit ****, and my Ipod Touch, its just so fast.
Old 31 July 2010, 05:52 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I have just got the Samsung Galaxy S, It arrived today but I haven't had a chance to look at it.
Old 31 July 2010, 06:00 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest, HTC have recently decided to change from. The AMOLED screen to an LCD screen due to sourcing issues, not sure how that will affect the screen quality in sunlight.
Thoht I would mention it.
As for the speaker, was not aware it was poo, but not read about any improvements.
Old 31 July 2010, 06:01 PM
Eternal Rage
Scooby Regular

Another one to throw into the Mix: Nokia X6
I have found it a good all-rounder, not into I-Phones/Blackberry's so sorted my dilemma out.
Old 31 July 2010, 06:01 PM
Eternal Rage
Scooby Regular

Another one to throw into the Mix: Nokia X6
I have found it a good all-rounder, not into I-Phones/Blackberry's so sorted my dilemma out.
Old 31 July 2010, 06:11 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob_Impreza99
The only issues i have with the HTC Desire are the following, the screen is stunning when your indoors but when your outside in bright light its very difficult to see the screen. The speaker isn`t very good either on the Desire, if those 2 issues were resolved on the Desire upgrade which i think comes out in a couple of months then in my opinion you would almost have the perfect phone.

The plus points for the Desire is that its stunningly fast, web browsing is a pleasure, calls are crisp and clear and it has nice built in text software thats very easy to use. Google maps are first class for navigating and i really like the sense UI with the desktop clock and weather widget.

Just don`t expect it to be a music player through the internal speaker as the speaker itself is poor, its fine for listening to music via the headphones.
Spot on.

It will be interesting to se what 2.2 actually does, its out today for unlocked phones. Im on T Mobile which is supposed to be about six weeks before they release it.
Old 31 July 2010, 08:31 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I have just got a HTC desire since the only free phones on offer was the desire, blackberry 9700 and a Samsung (can't remember the name) that was similar to the desire but bigger. I hope i've made a good choice, since I'm not very clued up when it comes to all this stuff.

For example there doesn't seem to be a 'close program' button, its either the back button or you hit the home button, but I'm not sure for example if I've actually closed down, say browsing the net or in google maps.

Also does anyone know if google maps is an extra charge? or is it free as long as your inside your monthly data allowance - is it data hungry?

On the whole I think its great, as outlined a few posts above. But connsider my last phone was a nokia 6210 the jump in capability is immense, so it should be comparatively great!

Last edited by Jay m A; 31 July 2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01 August 2010, 09:17 AM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

my missus is doing the same, she's looking at a samsung wave, or SE vivaz...............
Old 01 August 2010, 09:52 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Just out of interest, HTC have recently decided to change from. The AMOLED screen to an LCD screen due to sourcing issues, not sure how that will affect the screen quality in sunlight.
Thoht I would mention it.
As for the speaker, was not aware it was poo, but not read about any improvements.
So hang on a minute , amoled is useless outside lcd may be a possiblity , what the bloody hell can you see ouside

i know my viewty is essentailly useless and is up for replacement and has been for acouple of months
Old 01 August 2010, 11:10 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

iPhone is fine outside. Especially the iPhone 4, best mobile display available.
Old 01 August 2010, 11:15 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Blackberry Storm2 is pretty good outside.
Old 02 August 2010, 08:10 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
iPhone is fine outside. Especially the iPhone 4, best mobile display available.
Jack ! inevitably, inevitably

Bu its hideously expensive . And its got to wear those armbands , in public , to keep a signal

Who pays for them btw ?
Old 02 August 2010, 10:55 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

The screen on the desire on full brightness is still fine to use outside but I admit its not the best but then its not very often I would put the phone down flat with the screen facing directly under the 12'o clock sun.

I have been using it all weekend to take photos and using "places directory" (must have app by the way) and have not had any problems. I also used the free google sat nav to get me to my holiday destination and home (updates the traffic as well now) and listened to the last.fm app through the external speaker to send me to sleep.

Old 02 August 2010, 02:37 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

So the google sat nav is free on the desire? is it data hungry downloading the maps or is that already in the memory?
Old 02 August 2010, 02:41 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
So the google sat nav is free on the desire? is it data hungry downloading the maps or is that already in the memory?
Downloads as you go but never had a problem with data, you can get proper apps like co-pilot that you store the maps on your SD card but I only use my phone for sat nav occasionally so the google sat nav does the job fine.

I tether my phone for my laptop daily and use my phone all day long for browsing and internet and Tmobile have never charged me extra for data.
Old 02 August 2010, 03:09 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Also does anyone know if google maps is an extra charge? or is it free as long as your inside your monthly data allowance - is it data hungry?
I've been running google maps on my Blackberry for months now, downloaded it as an app through my browser, doesn't appear particuarly data hungry, and as I have "unlimited" internet it doesn't cost anything.
Google don't charge for its use
Old 02 August 2010, 03:17 PM
spray1974
Scooby Regular

Am waiting for an HTC Desire to turn up apparently its the first phone to knock the Iphone of the top sales spot for 4 years. Seems to be a big waiting list for them though. Every shop I've tried has sold out so far.

I think its a straight choice between the HTC Desire and the Samsung Galaxy S for my money...

Last edited by spray1974; 02 August 2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02 August 2010, 03:44 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I haven't read much good stuff about the galaxy.

Whilst looking up stuff, the HTC HD2 looks good, except that it's Windows 6.5. I believe good things are expected of Windows 7 though?

Oh there's just too much choice!

Geezer
Old 03 August 2010, 01:59 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Well, she has gone with the HTC Wildfire, so thanks for all the input guys

Geezer
Old 03 August 2010, 04:16 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezer
Well, she has gone with the HTC Wildfire, so thanks for all the input guys

Geezer
Hope she got a good deal on the Wildfire

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/htc-...0-mins-/731871
Old 03 August 2010, 04:35 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Up until 2/3months ago I'd never seen the need or want for a smartphone and working for a company last year made me even more convinced I just wanted a basic phone. That was up until I had a play with a Blackberry and from the advice of Snazy and BigSinky on here i got myself a 9700 and love it!

Its a fantastic phone, haven't had any probs using it in direct sunlight and is an absolute doddle to setup. The only real downside being the camera is pretty poor but its not something i would use often and the internet browser probably could be better. The best thing about the phone though is that is great for making calls compared to my old Sony E and the battery life is mind bendingly good.
Old 03 August 2010, 05:20 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol thats right, blame me and Sinky!
I like the camera on mine to be honest. Not for family portraits or good stuff, but as a general "oh I have a camera in my pocket" camera I like it. All my holiday photos are done on it now

9780 and 9800 on the brink now.... What will be the phone that convinces me to extend the contract I wonder.

Quick Reply: What Smartphone?