You really couldn't make it up.

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2010, 07:43 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry You really couldn't make it up.

Schools told 'no swimming in Ramadan' for Muslim pupils

Swimming lessons in some Staffordshire schools should stop during Ramadan to ensure Muslim pupils "do not swallow water", a council has suggested.

Stoke-on-Trent City Council has issued an 11-page Ramadan guide for schools to help pupils who may be fasting when the school year starts in September.

It said swimming was acceptable to Muslims but posed a high risk of swallowing water that may break a fast.

Islam requires Muslims to fast from dawn until dusk for one month per year.

This year's Ramadan is expected to begin on or around 11 August and finish 30 days afterwards.
'Disrupt sleeping patterns'

The council guide states: "Schools with a significant number of Muslim pupils should try to avoid scheduling swimming lessons during Ramadan to remove unnecessary barriers to full participation."

It also suggests re-scheduling sex education classes during the holy lunar month, as Muslim followers who have reached puberty are required to avoid sexual thoughts during this period.

Because of the religious requirement for Muslims to avoid eating during sunlight hours, some pupils get up before dawn to eat with their families.
Continue reading the main story

Rearranging the whole school routine for a whole month to satisfy the religious needs of a few is totally out of proportion

Terry Sanderson President of the National Secular Society

Schools have been advised this can disrupt pupils' sleeping patterns and it suggests examinations could be re-scheduled to reflect their lower levels of concentration.

The council said the document, produced by its Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education, was based on information from the Muslim Council of Great Britain, an umbrella organisation that claims to represent up to 500 Muslim groups in the UK.

"The overriding consideration should be that children do not feel disadvantaged in school activities because of their religious observance," the council added.

But Terry Sanderson, president of the National Secular Society said the guidance is out of proportion.

"Surely it should be possible for Muslim pupils to be withdrawn from those elements of the school day that they don't want to participate in without imposing these restrictions on everybody, Muslim or not.

"It is wrong that everyone in schools should be forced to observe Islamic laws when they may have no meaning for them.

"Rearranging the whole school routine for a whole month to satisfy the religious needs of a few is totally out of proportion.

What a bunch of feckin idiots these people are
Old 12 July 2010, 07:45 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple answer,keep the muslims out of the pool
Old 12 July 2010, 07:53 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I don't think it is requests by the Muslim community, it is the idiotic ******** who work for these Councils.
They are a big bunch of PC wasters.
Old 12 July 2010, 08:10 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I agree, as would, I am sure most muslims.

Chip
Old 12 July 2010, 08:33 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
I don't think it is requests by the Muslim community, it is the idiotic ******** who work for these Councils.
+1,

they have pools in Muslim countries and somehow they manage to avoid taking in the water chances are by staying out of the pools.

No need to cancel anything because of a religious event just a dispensation not to take part if required - simple really
Old 12 July 2010, 09:57 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
Agreed, a bit like the muslim only day planned at Alton towers.... That no Muslim was interested in going to.

World gone mad.
Old 12 July 2010, 10:09 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

FFS This is getting stupid.
Old 12 July 2010, 10:19 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Non-muslim pupils will be forced to fast during ramadam next

It's good to see other European countries are starting to put their foot down a bit and stop the islamification of their countries with the banning of muslim headscarves etc - we need to start with this sort of thing here, and make sure people who want to live here either intergrate or migrate. A ban on burqas etc is a good start, followed by a ban on halal meat etc.
Old 12 July 2010, 10:57 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Chip
I agree, as would, I am sure most muslims.

Chip
Chip, not being funny here, but these Councils are blowing stuff out of proportion. It is stirring serious unrest with lots of people against the normal, law abiding Muslims in this Country.
They are so PC it is a joke, even to the Muslim community.
Who the hell runs these Councils and their stupid PC crap, need to be sacked and some sensible common sense folks put in place.
I read of some Council insisting on a swimming pool having the windows blacked out to protect the privacy of Muslim wimmins. Absolute bolloxs. Just some PC nitwit at some Council with nothing better to do, and stirring up serious unrest with the locals thinking the Muslims have requested this.
I am totally sick to death of the whole carry on
Old 12 July 2010, 11:14 PM
Lisawrx

The worst part is councils etc. claim to want intergration and this type of thing, if anything creates the exact opposite.

I am one of the first people to be all for people being free to follow their own religion but not at the expense of other people. And I agree that generally most Muslims wouldn't be shouting out for such moves.

As said, the simple way to please everyone in this case is to allow the Muslim kids to not participate if that is what is required. No need for other kids who don't follow the religion to lose out.

If integration and harmony is truely desired, then to my mind everyone should be respected and no one group should be favoured over another.
Old 13 July 2010, 12:27 AM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s

maybe it would work in this situation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/b...y/10517404.stm
Old 13 July 2010, 08:42 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I agree with Lisa. Different faiths should be respected as long as they don't interfere with others. No one faith should have priority of course.

It is almost as if our leaders are frightened of the people concerned.

Les
Old 13 July 2010, 09:13 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
Non-muslim pupils will be forced to fast during ramadam next

It's good to see other European countries are starting to put their foot down a bit and stop the islamification of their countries with the banning of muslim headscarves etc - we need to start with this sort of thing here, and make sure people who want to live here either intergrate or migrate. A ban on burqas etc is a good start, followed by a ban on halal meat etc.
Having lived in a Muslim country and been through Ramadan and assorted Eid's the only things required of non-muslims was no eating and drinking infront of Muslims durnig the fasting - eating and drinking in the privacy of your own homes, round friends and at restraunts yes, no problem at all. Eating and drinking at work yes, again no problem as long as you did not make a big song and dance about it and who really does anyway.

It seems the PC and the 'right on' brigades have got it all wrong again and making more trouble and creating more tension through their own insatiable need to meddle where they do not need to.

I cannot see how you can force children to fast and especially not to drink fluids, Muslim children are allowed to drink. TBH you can use the PC brigades own work against them, to stop a child eating and drinking will be in breach of the ECHR! I for one would not send my children to school if the school imposed this sort stupid and potentially harmful practice on my kids.
Old 13 July 2010, 11:46 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Just to throw my spanner in the works I think it should be made illegal to deprive children of food and fluids during the day while at school. Their parent's believes are theirs and should not be imposed on a child in a potentially harmful way.

Once they are 18 its up to them if they want to starve themselves, but lets be truthful here. If any UK parent denied their child food or water from dawn till dusk social services would be jumping up and down on them.
Old 13 July 2010, 12:13 PM
Will
BANNED

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
No, keep them in there with your foot on their heads

Old 13 July 2010, 12:39 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We have more laws now that you can shake a stick at. Should be easy enough to follow those while following their own religion without special favours though. Just the same as we would in their country.

Les