Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Used car dealers..........

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2010, 01:05 AM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Used car dealers..........

Yesterday my Brother and I took at 540 mile round trip to view and collect a 106 GTi he had placed a deposit on.

Sadly it was an absolute lemon The trader was fairly small time with about 20 cars in a barn. I was so annoyed as he had said the only problems were a small nail size blister in the roof and two on the left hand arch.

The actual problems were;

The two above
Bodykit chipped needing a respray on the left hand arch
A four inch long bubble/rust on the left hand sill
The front wing and passenger door had been blown in after poorly repaired accident damage. The wing and bumper were out of line
Bodykit therefore not fitting as it should on the wing and bumper

That was just what I could be bothered typing out

The guy then had the cheek to deny us the deposit back 'cause he said it was as described!

Caveat Emptor as they say.......
Old 11 July 2010, 01:24 AM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

what a wan,ker i cant stand things like that when people lie through there teeth about the description of something
And when you drive that bloody far it takes it to the extreme
Old 11 July 2010, 01:45 AM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
what a wan,ker i cant stand things like that when people lie through there teeth about the description of something
And when you drive that bloody far it takes it to the extreme
I agree mate.

As he argued I pointed out he had spotted two minor faults, the roof and the arch to which he agreed. I then asked given he had spotted these how had he missed the more obvious problems???

In the end we got the deposit back less the cost of an MOT he had put the car through. Honestly he must have thought our heads zipped up the rear!
Old 11 July 2010, 02:59 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Torch his barn
Old 11 July 2010, 08:02 AM
Marquis of Carrabas
BANNED

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Torch his barn
Inciting arson?
Old 11 July 2010, 09:42 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Marquis of Carrabas
Inciting arson?
Tongue in cheek methinks, but the author needs to think about who he aims his funny suggestion to, they might just go and do it.
Old 11 July 2010, 10:43 AM
Marquis of Carrabas
BANNED

Precisely (in answer to Myles). The OP/his brother has displayed an alarming level of naivete. Placing their trust in a used car dealer of all people is bordering on insanity. Did you think he was going to be honest in his description?
Old 11 July 2010, 10:47 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Precisely (in answer to Myles). The OP/his brother has displayed an alarming level of naivete. Placing their trust in a used car dealer of all people is bordering on insanity. Did you think he was going to be honest in his description?
Unfortunately, when you are looking for a certain marque, whether it be a 106 GTi or a Lambo, you have to expect to travel to find the best for your money. Unless the dealer sends you multiple pics, which wont really 'show' you the true car, you go there with no idea how the car really is. I think naivete is a bit harsh.
Old 11 July 2010, 10:53 AM
Marquis of Carrabas
BANNED

Assume every seller is a lying, scamming, unscrupulous and downright deceitful scallywag until proven otherwise.
Old 11 July 2010, 12:09 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Myles
Unfortunately, when you are looking for a certain marque, whether it be a 106 GTi or a Lambo, you have to expect to travel to find the best for your money. Unless the dealer sends you multiple pics, which wont really 'show' you the true car, you go there with no idea how the car really is. I think naivete is a bit harsh.
Spot on Myles

They are getting rarer now and to find one even worth traveling for is getting harder. I actually checked the service history, HPI'd the car and viewed multiple images. It didn't help the fact that until you see a car you can never be sure.

I did ensure he got his deposit back also, so in reality it was no worse than one of the lads here spending traveling money to view an Impreza that was a similar distance away.
Old 11 July 2010, 09:36 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I may be mad and old - but, why on earth would you pay a deposit on a car you haven't seen that is 270 miles away which a lying scumbag car dealer says is great?????

And did he say the MOT cost him £50+? Coz it doesn't cost the Trade that!

Never, ever, trust a Car Dealer .... they train in lying through their smiling teeth!
Old 11 July 2010, 10:09 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I may be mad and old - but, why on earth would you pay a deposit on a car you haven't seen that is 270 miles away which a lying scumbag car dealer says is great?????

Never, ever, trust a Car Dealer .... they train in lying through their smiling teeth!
Didnt you blow about the same speaking to the Russian car dealer just on phone bills?!
Old 11 July 2010, 10:21 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

If we never ever trusted any car dealers none of us would have cars!

The reason for the deposit was simple, the car was 270 miles away and therefore not something you could just drop everything to view. Add in the fact I had to travel 100 miles to meet my Brother meant that the only way to ensure we didn't travel all they way to find it'd been sold was to place a deposit on it.

Tell you what though, I'm gonna be looking for an Impreza very soon, any tips on how to look and buy one would be great. That is assuming I'm not able to travel at the drop of a hat and have access to a private jet
Old 11 July 2010, 11:42 PM
Ste RB5138
Scooby Regular

I am looking for a 3 dr Peugeot HDi at the moment and finding a good straight with service history seem to be hard to find.
I traveled nearly 100 mile to a dealer last week to one that was described as "excellent condition" a quick walk around it you could see it had been neglected, cracked lower front bumper, alloys corroding, two big gashes in the bonnet.

I walked away quickly
Old 11 July 2010, 11:54 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ste RB5138
I am looking for a 3 dr Peugeot HDi at the moment and finding a good straight with service history seem to be hard to find.
I traveled nearly 100 mile to a dealer last week to one that was described as "excellent condition" a quick walk around it you could see it had been neglected, cracked lower front bumper, alloys corroding, two big gashes in the bonnet.

I walked away quickly
Glad I'm not the only one mate......

It is hard as sometimes you have to either travel at the drop of a hat costing a ton of money, or place a deposit on trust.