Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

E-Bay and Pay Pal

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2010, 09:14 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question E-Bay and Pay Pal

I set up an account with E-bay when it first started years and years ago ... and also a PayPal Account.

Never, ever, used either ....

But now I have found something I would like to buy ... the details held in PayPal are obviously out of date.

I have added my CC details in my PayPal Account - but cannot find any simply explaination of how it works - they seem to want me to give my Bank Details?

If I buy something do PayPal just use my CC and I get the bill as if I bought an item in a shop? Or do I need to put funds into the Account? Or give my Bank details?

I am old and at a loss really .... any help from E-Bay 'ers out there?

Another thing - how best to bid? I have bidded on an item and it comes back that someone has outbid me (clearly they have put a maximum bid on the item) ... another thing, the Postage seems really high for the item concerned (is this a way to up the price?).

I'm determined to give this E-Bay thing a crack ...... despite what I read about people getting stitched up ( I am hoping that 99% of sellers/buyers are as honest as I am?)
Old 10 July 2010, 09:18 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis
I set up an account with E-bay when it first started years and years ago ... and also a PayPal Account.

But now I have found something I would like to buy ... the details held in PayPal are obviously out of date.

I have added my CC details in my PayPal Account - but cannot find any simply explaination of how it works - they seem to want me to give my Bank Details?

If I buy something do PayPal just use my CC and I get the bill as if I bought an item in a shop? Or do I need to put funds into the Account? Or give my Bank details?

Another thing - how best to bid? I have bidded on an item and it comes back that someone has outbid me (clearly they have put a maximum bid on the item) ... another thing, the Postage seems really high for the item concerned (is this a way to up the price?).

I'm determined to give this E-Bay thing a crack ...... despite what I read about people getting stitched up ( I am hoping that 99% of sellers/buyers are as honest as I am?)
Its too hard for you mate, best stick to trolling on here You have that perfected to a fine art
Old 10 July 2010, 09:21 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Trolling is against the rules and something I would never do ..... anyway, back to the Ebay stuff
Old 10 July 2010, 09:24 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

when you add a cc you get 2 seperate deposits into the said account which you then put the details into your paypal account to confirm the card then you just buy things really unless you buy something quite expensive in which case it might be an echeque which takes 5-7 working days to clear unless you add asecond card,as for how to bid i always wait till the end say last 2 mins and bid away lol and so far havent been skanted touch wood,and yes people do put excesive postage amounts to get alittle bit more coffers unfortunatly.
hope this helps mate
Old 10 July 2010, 09:25 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

What is it that you want to buy anyway? I thought you would have everything that you wanted by now?
Old 10 July 2010, 09:49 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

the best and only way to bid is to put the maximum you are prepared to pay -- including postage at the very last second of the auction, not before

you can automate this process with services such as www.bidnip.com

(i have never lost an auction where I wanted the item using this -- and also bought stuff that definitely would have gone for more had I not used it)

ps I am as confused as you re paypal

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 10 July 2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10 July 2010, 09:54 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I cannot believe people are actually taking this thread seriously?

Are not sure you would rather debate who your favourite Telly Tubby is?

P.S. I think lewis is Tiny Winky
Old 10 July 2010, 11:05 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Be aware of the usual scams like some car sales and stay away from dodgy things like mobiles and items that might generate an argument like laptops. Used Zimmers should be OK.

Good luck with the **** though.........

dl
Old 10 July 2010, 11:35 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
when you add a cc you get 2 seperate deposits into the said account which you then put the details into your paypal account to confirm the card then you just buy things
Thanks for this .... but it has confused me even more now

2 seperate deposits? What? Where? How?

PayPal now know my CC details .... I would have thought that they take the winning bid amount from my CC and pay the seller (minus the charges for the seller)?

It clearly isn't that simple?
Old 10 July 2010, 11:36 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
I cannot believe people are actually taking this thread seriously?

Are not sure you would rather debate who your favourite Telly Tubby is?

P.S. I think lewis is Tiny Winky
Your trolling is bad enough ... but attempting to destroy a thread is worse ... you will get yourself banned .... toodle along now, there is nothing for you to see here ....
Old 10 July 2010, 11:40 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
the best and only way to bid is to put the maximum you are prepared to pay -- including postage at the very last second of the auction, not before

you can automate this process with services such as www.bidnip.com

(i have never lost an auction where I wanted the item using this -- and also bought stuff that definitely would have gone for more had I not used it)

ps I am as confused as you re paypal
Interesting, thanks ..... someone has whacked a big bid in just as I upped my bid twice and started watching the item! Smells somewhat?
Old 10 July 2010, 11:43 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Be aware of the usual scams like some car sales and stay away from dodgy things like mobiles and items that might generate an argument like laptops. Used Zimmers should be OK.

Good luck with the **** though.........

dl
I haven't seen any **** on there .... I'll look now

I bought a PAYG Mobile from Orange (brand new) for £3 a couple of weeks ago - no need for me to use E-Bay for one of those

Cars, well if they are on E-Bay I reckon they cannot be sold by normal methods?

I'll take a look at zimmers and stair lifts ..... the scooters too
Old 11 July 2010, 12:21 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Interesting, thanks ..... someone has whacked a big bid in just as I upped my bid twice and started watching the item! Smells somewhat?
i just fail to see the rational of any other strategy -- bid your maximum at the last second - full stop

what bidnip allows you to do is perform this stragegy at arms length,

if you get out bid, well someone ws just prepared to pay more -- and had pre bid higher -- but if their strategy is to increase the bids as the time ticks away - you will always win
Old 11 July 2010, 12:34 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

It's the very first time I have bid on anything at all ....... go easy on me
Old 11 July 2010, 12:36 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I assume that bidnip wants your ebay details to bid on your behalf?

I'm not sure about that!
Old 11 July 2010, 12:39 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

yes - correct

try it -- honestly itsvery good, they give you 5 free snipes
Old 11 July 2010, 12:40 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I don't want anyone having access to my e-bay account ...............
Old 12 July 2010, 11:34 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If you have a PayPal account already, it should only be a matter of giving them the latest details of your credit card. They check it all out by taking a small amount out-30p or so which you will get back anyway.

To pay via PayPal on Ebay, when you buy something you are asked if you want to use PayPal and if you agree, the amount to be paid appears for you to confirm and they pay the man for you off your credit card with a receipt. If it is an overseas deal they will do the money conversion sums for you. All pretty simple.

You need to have your credit card verified with them via that small money transaction and also to remember your original password for the PayPal account.

Les
Old 12 July 2010, 11:45 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2

l
Not literally the last second. At the weekend something i really wanted, and went incredibly cheaply but i missed out. I put in a massive bid with 10 seconds to go, but for some reason it never registered in time and i lost. Very annoyed with myself. 30 seconds before the end i'd say.
Old 12 July 2010, 02:26 PM
phoenixgold
Scooby Regular

The art is in the timing of the final bid. It depends how fast you, your computer and your internet connection are! I've put bids in with 10 seconds to go, been outbid and managed to get a second one in to win the item.

With regards paypal, they'll debit a small amount of money from your credit card, the verification comes from you telling them how much they've taken. This money is then credited to your paypal account. Obviously, it's quicker to find this out if you have online banking.

For example, transaction is 55p. That'll go on your paypal account. When you buy something, they'll use the 55p and then debit your card for the rest.

Last edited by phoenixgold; 12 July 2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12 July 2010, 06:04 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
If you have a PayPal account already, it should only be a matter of giving them the latest details of your credit card. They check it all out by taking a small amount out-30p or so which you will get back anyway.

Les
Not anymore - they now demand your bank details too. An organisation renowned for being insecure despite what they say.

Apparently they never delete your details either (as pete found out by going back several years after registering)

Google PayPalSucks.

5t.
Old 13 July 2010, 12:52 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
Not literally the last second. At the weekend something i really wanted, and went incredibly cheaply but i missed out. I put in a massive bid with 10 seconds to go, but for some reason it never registered in time and i lost. Very annoyed with myself. 30 seconds before the end i'd say.
Happened to me once too. I learned that you have to allow the system enough time to record your bid. very annoying though!

Les
Old 13 July 2010, 07:07 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Happened to me once too. I learned that you have to allow the system enough time to record your bid. very annoying though!

Les
Yes, now its a minute before the end, max price i will pay and watch.
Old 14 July 2010, 04:59 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I do the same too!

Les