Help from you guys - Looking for a car

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2010, 02:05 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help from you guys - Looking for a car

Hi all

Im trying to source a mk1 seat ibiza sxi, but due to age, number left on the road, am having a hard time. Ebay, seat forums, autotrader, pistonheads are all fruitless.

So, being on this site for a number of years now, know how helpful you guys are and as we are all car mad, that there might be a chance that one of you guys might stumble across one for sale, somewhere, on some other site, or magazine.

If anyone see's one can they let me know where ?? It has to be a mk1. Im going thru a retro stage and I had a sxi when I was 20, and want to find one.

Here's an example :- http://i40.tinypic.com/qythrp.jpg

SBK
Old 15 June 2010, 02:12 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with that one, they were rust prone and not very sought after, I suspect the scrappage scheme may have taken the last couple.

They say never go back, fond memories of old cars are one thing but they were in context of you at that time and the car at that time, now the remaining ones will be ratty as anything and you will probably be more discerning.

I would suggest that spain may be a potential source, would be LHD but the weather and the number one the roads may means some have survived realtively rust free, otherwise the Seat owners club and scouring the classifieds, I bet there will be a minter somewhere, 80 year old bloke, garaged in some out of the way place in Wales.

Good luck, but be careful what you wish for !
Old 15 June 2010, 02:14 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Good news and bad news

the bad news:
I don't know of any for sale

the good news:
I don't know of any for sale

Had one myself for 6 months in my younger days (had system Porsche graphics down the side of it ) and I honestly think it suffered the worst build quality I have ever encountered out of the 24 cars I have owned in my life (that even includes the impreza, so that tells you just how plasticky it felt).

Give up the search now for your own sanitys sake
Old 15 June 2010, 02:28 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Try Retro Rides, there was a thread here but the trail goes cold,

http://retrorides.proboards.com/inde...d=15054&page=2
Old 15 June 2010, 06:38 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Yes, Iknow the build qualitywas poor buy hey, you want what you want. I did find one on ebay.es but it was phucked beyond reason.

I want a sxi version, the one on retrorides was a glx. If I find one Im going to cost up putting an audi1.8T engine intoit.

Dont ask me why, I just want an sxi. I loved my old one, never forgave myself for selling it.

So, keep an eye out guys, £20 for anyone that finds one that I buy.

SBK
Old 15 June 2010, 06:59 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm sure some had Porsche stickers on them - don't know why but I'm sure a mate had one with a Porsche sticker on the top of the rear window - factory fitted too.
Old 15 June 2010, 07:21 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

20v turbo in one, would be good but have you seen the rear suspension, I reckon you would need to do some serious work to get one in, not like plonking one in a Golf.
Old 15 June 2010, 07:23 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

'System Porsche' graphics Ed (IIRC) and they were along the bottom of the doors ...... Think it was Porsche designed fuel injection that was used, hence they were able to stick Porsche on the heap of junk....

Come on everyone, do everything you can to stop the op from making a tragic mistake
Old 15 June 2010, 07:28 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

The "System Porsche" thing was the car manufacturing equivalent of dodgy curry houses having "As visited by celebrities" on the sign outside and a few ancient pictures of the owner with Daphne from neighbours and somehow Kylie Minogue before she was properly famous and doing panto in Stockport.
Old 15 June 2010, 08:09 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

I had one about 10 years ago, quite good fun TBH, until the engine let go! Put it through the auctions and got £80!
Old 15 June 2010, 09:40 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by J4CKO
The "System Porsche" thing was the car manufacturing equivalent of dodgy curry houses having "As visited by celebrities" on the sign outside and a few ancient pictures of the owner with Daphne from neighbours and somehow Kylie Minogue before she was properly famous and doing panto in Stockport.
so about as Porsche as the Porsche bugeye WRX (it does exist btw!)
Old 15 June 2010, 10:02 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

The engine had system porsche written on it too. I first had a C reg Ibiza 1.5 glx in black. This was mt first car and I loved it despite it now being a pile of 5hite. I then worked, saved ££ and upgraded to a 1990 ibiza sxi. I brought it brand new, and it was my baby.

The rear suspension was a leaf spring that went across from one wheel to the next, and I broke about two of them. I also brought a salvaged ibiza sportline engine ( 1.7) and swapped engines.

I traded the car - G498 UFG for my next car which was a 2 year old Rover 220 turbo, which I also loved. I then traded that in for my M3 evo convertible, which Ive never truely got on with. I brought that new, cost me a fortune ( thank god for bonuses ) and still have it, but, hand on heart, what a pile of 5hite ! :-)

So, Ive been looking for an Ibiza SXI for ages now and Ive then want to upgrade it with an audi engine. Im kicking myself really, as a year or so ago a blue one popped up on ebay and I did ponder whether I should buy it or not, what a **** as now I cant find them.

SBK