Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Audio Books Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2010, 09:07 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audio Books Recommendations

Just hooked up my phone so it works like a storage device into my car stereo and hate breakfast radio so can anyone recommend me a some good audio books and where I can get them (preferablely free if possible).

PS: I love Sci-fi so thats a good start for recommendations.
Old 09 June 2010, 09:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I borrow them on CD from our local library, £0.90 a go.

Had some crackers.
Old 09 June 2010, 09:26 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Not sure its your cup of tea but it is Sci Fi

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer-40000/Audio

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhamme.../Fireborn.html

Give it a listen.

Good productions anyway. I read nothing else but Warhammer 40K

Last edited by EddScott; 09 June 2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09 June 2010, 09:59 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet, will have a look!

I like them space opera yokes, really keen on Alastair Reynolds books but he hasn't had a new one out in ages, I may be even tempted to try and find Revelation Space on audio book as the book itself was awesome!
Old 10 June 2010, 07:04 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EddScott
Not sure its your cup of tea but it is Sci Fi

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer-40000/Audio

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhamme.../Fireborn.html

Give it a listen.

Good productions anyway. I read nothing else but Warhammer 40K

a man after my own heart. reading the Horus Heresy again.

James i would recommend Stephen kings "the dark Tower" series. great to listen to.
Old 10 June 2010, 09:18 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
a man after my own heart. reading the Horus Heresy again.
Really? Didn't think there would be any 40k'ers on here. I used to play 40K nearly every weekend but haven't got the time now. Tried getting into painting again but could never find the time and one minature would take forever. I going to blow some cash on the updated version of Space Hulk when I get paid this month

The Heresy books need to get a move on TBH. Be cool to have a whole book just on the Istvaan massacre.

Ran out of Astartes related books a while back so gave Eisenhorn and Gaunts Ghosts a go. Eisenhorn is really good and the Ghosts have got better. The Ultramarines books are cool and theres the odd bit of humour (mostly sarcasm) amongst the chaos marines banter, you can't help but smile.

Hoping theres another Titanicus book out soon.

Last edited by EddScott; 10 June 2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10 June 2010, 10:38 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

If you don't mind using Torrents, you can legally download old radio shows for free from:

http://www.radioarchive.cc

There's all sorts of material on here, from factual, comedy, drama and sport. It's all stuff that been recorded from free-to-air broadcasts (mostly freeview), but there's also some old stuff as well. Well worth a look in my opinion and I'm sure you'll find some good programs. I've uploaded some myself, but not for a while. Look out for uploads from "Cirrus"

Cheers
Old 10 June 2010, 10:48 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Really? Didn't think there would be any 40k'ers on here. I used to play 40K nearly every weekend but haven't got the time now. Tried getting into painting again but could never find the time and one minature would take forever. I going to blow some cash on the updated version of Space Hulk when I get paid this month

The Heresy books need to get a move on TBH. Be cool to have a whole book just on the Istvaan massacre.

Ran out of Astartes related books a while back so gave Eisenhorn and Gaunts Ghosts a go. Eisenhorn is really good and the Ghosts have got better. The Ultramarines books are cool and theres the odd bit of humour (mostly sarcasm) amongst the chaos marines banter, you can't help but smile.

Hoping theres another Titanicus book out soon.

i started out wil Ragnar and the Space Wolves, as my two nephews (9 and 11) were into the whole table top gaming thing. Their father indulges them and they have spent 100s of pounds on varuous legions and buildings. Their latest theatre of war covers a whole dining room table top. with the paint and the decals it looks very realistic. unfortunately i have neither the patience nor the skill for the painting. they are at all the Game Workshop painting days in their local town and have paint weekends with their friends. I bought the eldest one a "Codex" book for his birthday last year and nearly baulked at the price

They gave me the first book and i have to say i was hooked. havent given the Eisenhorn or Gaunt novels a go yet but might try them.

Could you not tell i like 40k by the sig below?

Last edited by bigsinky; 10 June 2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10 June 2010, 11:18 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Do you know, I read that yesterday and thought I'm sure thats from 40K.

Its one of the statements that the captain says in the game Dawn of War.

The price of GW stuff has mushroomed considerably. When I was very into it the game boxes were £19.99 for Space Hulk, Blood Bowl and Epic. The Space Hulk is limited edition so is going to cost me around £100. Going to make a decent attempt at teaching the wife Space Hulk - unlikely to end well

PS - theres also an animation in the works.
Old 10 June 2010, 11:57 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

yes it is one of many in "thought for the day" in the lexicanum. you're right about the GW game boxes. Starter kits are now about £100. I cant believe the price of some of the bigger models and figures. Having said that, we have a GW in Belfast, some of the models are painted so beatuifully i can understand why they are so pricy. the level of detail in the making and more especially the painting is astonishing.