Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I'd love to do this (free dive) but this is mad!!

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2010, 10:55 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'd love to do this (free dive) but this is mad!!

I have alot of respect for peeps who can do this! All on 1 breath of air!

http://www.koreus.com/video/guillaum...bleu-dean.html
Old 04 June 2010, 10:59 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

OMG, that is awesome

(Shame BP did not think to hire him to fix their issues )
Old 04 June 2010, 11:29 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Interesting vid, in order to sink like that his lungs must be empty and also his lack of buoyancy when climbing the rocks at the bottom would support this.
However he appeared to be exhaling as he broke the surface, someone gave him a puff of O2 and N2 on the way back up.
Still very impressive
Old 04 June 2010, 11:47 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Not quite, below about 10m humans become negatively bouyant and sink, he's also got a weight belt on with about 4lbs of lead on.

I've qualified as a scuba diver (hated snorkeling), just regret smoking. As a kid I could hold my breath for about 3 mins, can't now

Another 1 to watch is Tanya Streeter, now retired, she set the a World record for constant weght at 160m!

Last edited by Simon C; 04 June 2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05 June 2010, 12:46 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The more empty your lungs are, the easier it is, as C02 causes the 'breathe' reflex.
Old 05 June 2010, 01:57 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How do they withstand the pressure at depth is what I don't get.
Old 05 June 2010, 10:48 AM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

amazing !

i scuba dive myself and all these people do everything you are tought not too

he would have lungs with air in when he reached the surface as when going down your lungs shrink and the air is compressed (hence the deeper you go the more air you use) but when going upwards your lungs expand as does the air already in them

i've found this out first hand when i nearly drowned, on the way up although taking in water you could still actually breath due to the air expanding

i'm just amazed how these people don't suffer with the bends etc and the strain on having to equalize so quickly to cope with the depth is superhuman
Old 05 June 2010, 11:04 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks great , doubt its all that deep tho maybe 30 metres tops ? i guess it mus have been 3 minutes total tho ! slow mo film
Old 05 June 2010, 11:33 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

You don't get the bends when you are not breathing.
Old 05 June 2010, 12:52 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
You don't get the bends when you are not breathing.
Surely the bends is caused by Nitrogen coming out of solution in the blood. The Nitrogen would be in your blood already if you had been breathing standard air before so if you put yourself into the right conditions you might well experience the bends whether you are breathing or not. It affects everyone to a different extent.

It was quite normal to experience the bends to a certain extent if you were at a high cockpit altitude with the low pressurisation in the older military aircraft. At significantly over 40K feet aircraft altitude you could get slight bends at a cockpit altitude of 24K feet after maybe a couple of hours at thet height. Even if we were breathing 100% Oxygen we could still get the bends from the residual Nitrogen dissolved in the blood coming out of solution.

The bends were caused by minute Ntrogen bubbles in the blood.

Les
Old 05 June 2010, 09:42 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

I'll try to explain Les. I did have it explained to me by Tanya and friend who is a nurse who is also a diver.

It revolves around breathing. The body can tolerate a certain level of Nitrogen in the bloodstream. At low pressures, the N molecules are larger than O2 so can't get into the blood.

However as you get deeper the N molecules as long with O2 get compressed and can enter the blood stream. This is where free diving and scuba differ.

Free divers don't breath underwater, so the N that is in their lungs at the surface is the same at any depth. Also they use the mammailian diving reflex which we all have. Basically it slow our heart rate down so the air in our lungs doesn't circulate around out body as quickly and is concentrated around the core areas.

A scuba diver does breath under water and the air or nitrox or trimix (o2, n and He mix) is at the same pressure they are at. And this is where the problem starts. As you breath at pressure any molecule small enough to get into your blood, will. Your loading your blood at depth. As you asend, the molecules expand and the N expands more than the O2, causing bubbles (N doesn't bond to hemoglobin).

This is different to Nitrogen Narcosis, which is like being drunk.
Old 06 June 2010, 09:40 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes all understood Simon. We are not far apart at all of course and I understand about the Nitrogen getting into the blood under increased pressure.

We were going the other way, into decreased atmospheric pressure as when a diver come back up to the surface.

Our oxygen regulators used to automatically go from normal air mix to 100% oxyygen as the cockpit pressure decreased. This used to at least remove the Nitrogen from the equation except for the Nitrogen already in the blood from earlier. If we had a cockpit pressurisation failure, the oxygen pressure in the mask would be increased to enable sufficient oxygen to enter the blood under decreased atmospheric pressure. We used to have a pressuried jerkin to retain the increased pressue in the chest cavity.

When we had to do practice explosive decompression in the pressure chambers for training purposes up to around 30K plus, we had to breathe pure oxygen in a class room for up to two hours beforehand to reduce the Nitrogen in the blood in case of a bad bends attack. As I am sure you know, a bad attack can be fatal.

I always used to get a slight case of bends when at high level for a longish trip. It showed as an ache in my right hip and back. Just an irritation and it happened to most aircrew anyway.

We had one strange chap who used to play"anoxia's" when he got bored on a long high level trip. He used to remove his oxygen mask to see how long it would take before he used to start suffering from lack of oxygen-bit of a maniac and it was lucky he never got caught out by it! Takes all sorts I suppose! Perhap's he used to suffer from Nitrogen Narcosis!

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 06 June 2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06 June 2010, 11:01 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Yout right Les, he sounds like a right nutter!! Not something I'd be willing to do in a hurry.. Funnily enough I like breathing!

Going back to the high level flying, your decompressing so the existing N in your blood is expanding, your life support systems are feeding you 100% O2 to combat it.

Divers do the same, by using Nitrox (up to 38% O2), only down side is their max depth is reduced as O2 at 21% gets toxic to humans at about 50m down (or 6 bar). Obviousy the more O2 your breathing the less deep you can go.

I've never had a bend, but come damn close to it. I have had Nitrogen Narcosis before, and I didn't even know. Thankfully the guy I was diving with noticed and grabbed my fin before I could swim off. Rising a couple of metres and getting used to the pressure got rid of it.
Old 06 June 2010, 11:54 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes you are spot on Simon.

That bloke was daft on the face of it but we also used to be placed in a chamber at about 25K feet and we each had to take the mask off in turn and do simple exercises such as adding up simple numbers etc. until the lack of oxygen showed that we were losing it and the doctor with us used to put your mask back on. It taught us what the onset of anoxia felt like to help to recognise it in reality, and also the almost instant recovery when the mask was replaced. It can be very insiduous however and showed the danger to us all.

Some of the results as the individuals went anoxic were pretty comic really. Similar to someone getting out of his brains at a party-but quicker! Might even be similar to the effects of the Nitrogen Narcosis that you experienced.

Les