Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

CEX- what a waste of time

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2010, 06:22 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEX- what a waste of time

Took my Nintendo Wii to CEX as I don't use it, have an Xbox 360 which takes all my spare time, they offered me £103 cash for the Wii, additional controllers, nunchucks and classic controllers and a Wii fit board and software. Not a great ammount but I can't be bothered with Ebay.
Anyway took it in Tuesday morning, and they had to test it all before doing the deal, fair enough I can accept that, so I go back the following morning, it's been checked and all good but they have no cash in the till to pay me! seemed a bit strange but I thought ok, i'll come back the next day, so I go in Thursday morning and same story, no cash in the till to pay me! Starting to get a bit annoyed, the guy said I should wait for them to make some sales so come back during an afternoon. I go back today (friday)) at 2pm as told by the staff, clearly the shop was busy, both people queuing to buy and sell, so get to the counter the woman behind the counter says "we are not giving any money out today try another day or take it back" She said this to a few other customers too.
So now i'm going back tomorrow and if it's the same I guess i'm taking it back and on ebay it goes after all.
CEX is a complete waste of time and I recommend absolutely no one uses the store.
Old 04 June 2010, 08:09 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
Took my Nintendo Wii to CEX as I don't use it, have an Xbox 360 which takes all my spare time, they offered me £103 cash for the Wii, additional controllers, nunchucks and classic controllers and a Wii fit board and software. Not a great ammount but I can't be bothered with Ebay.
Anyway took it in Tuesday morning, and they had to test it all before doing the deal, fair enough I can accept that, so I go back the following morning, it's been checked and all good but they have no cash in the till to pay me! seemed a bit strange but I thought ok, i'll come back the next day, so I go in Thursday morning and same story, no cash in the till to pay me! Starting to get a bit annoyed, the guy said I should wait for them to make some sales so come back during an afternoon. I go back today (friday)) at 2pm as told by the staff, clearly the shop was busy, both people queuing to buy and sell, so get to the counter the woman behind the counter says "we are not giving any money out today try another day or take it back" She said this to a few other customers too.
So now i'm going back tomorrow and if it's the same I guess i'm taking it back and on ebay it goes after all.
CEX is a complete waste of time and I recommend absolutely no one uses the store.
Thing is they will mark it up horrendously in their favour. You will pay nearly as much for their second hand one as a new one

Example being the iPhone. Was a 16gb 3GS in my local one the other day - £460 second hand WTF, my brothers cost him £480 brand new nearly a year ago

Saying that, he's just applied for a job there - out of desperation.
Old 05 June 2010, 01:40 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
I hope you got a receipt for it all.

Les
Old 05 June 2010, 01:49 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Thing is they will mark it up horrendously in their favour. You will pay nearly as much for their second hand one as a new one

Example being the iPhone. Was a 16gb 3GS in my local one the other day - £460 second hand WTF, my brothers cost him £480 brand new nearly a year ago

Saying that, he's just applied for a job there - out of desperation.
That's funny because they're £450 in my shop and that includes a sim and ten pounds of credit, and a years free internet.
Old 05 June 2010, 05:19 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I hope you got a receipt for it all.

Les
Yeah, it's all sorted today got the cash for it, it's taken me 4 visits though after dropping it off, that's £12 in parking charges alone in Leeds city centre, won't use them again for anything
Old 05 June 2010, 07:52 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My CEX experience..

I had a drawer of old mobiles that I needed rid of. CEX offered the best prices, on a trade in basis. First batch I sent off was 5 phones, 1 of which they returned cause it had a broken volume switch (I knew this, thought they might miss it). They then sent me a voucher for £49 for the 4 phones - this was the agreed value before I sent the phones. The the next day, another voucher for £49 also arrived
I then sent off the last 3 phones (1 of which had a broken camera) They accepted all the phone and another voucher arrived for £69. Topped up my voucher with a few extra pounds and ordered an as new (it was new) Nokia X6.
So thanks to a CEX's incompetence, I had a new X6 for a bargain price
Old 05 June 2010, 08:24 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Should have asked for a a cheque.....

If they said no, that was the time to walk away.
Old 06 June 2010, 11:02 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Think I would have taken my chances with Ebay personally. You were patient enough to let them keep the thing that long. I could see them selling it on and still not having the money to pay you.
Old 06 June 2010, 01:42 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Think I would have taken my chances with Ebay personally. You were patient enough to let them keep the thing that long. I could see them selling it on and still not having the money to pay you.
They keep the stuff to one side until you take the cash and sign it over, used to use Ebay laods but i'm sick of the ebay and paypal fees, and time wasters etc, could have prob got a bit more on ebay but it's the hassle, although CEX has made me rethink in future